VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 486DX2 66MHz with 16MB ram and when I use Windows 95 sometimes it will not detect/load the DVD drive but if I do a restart or power on with a disk in the drive it will be there sometimes, I also have Dos 6.21 and the DVD drive always works first time every time, is there a problem with 95 that I can patch or something else?

Reply 1 of 6, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How is it set up
eg: primary master, primary slave - secondary master, secondary slave or cable select ?
are the jumpers on the dvd (and the hdd) correct?
do you have the bios settings correct ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the HDD on the primary as master and the DVD on the secondary as master its a 486 Bios with no option to select the DVD drive for D: but I have the c: as number 32 with 128MB but only at this setting because DDO software chose this for my 20GB HDD, im using 40 wire cables so no 80 wire cables. In 95 I reserved some letters for the DVD and its meant to be letter "K" far enough down the chain so the HDD partitions dont use it, I will try another drive this time just a CD drive but I would still like to get the DVD drive working if possible.

Reply 3 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ignor my last post above as that setup is for another PC not this one my mistake but I found out its not the DVD drive it has something to do with the boot loader that I used from XFDISK if I boot to Dos and then reboot or shut down/power on into windows 95 the drive is not there with a message "WARNING: your computer may have a virus. The master boot record on your computer has been modified. Would you like to see more information about this problem? yes/no" if I reboot again into windows 95 its back to normal with no problems and I can then restart as many times into windows 95 and its still all good untill I boot into Dos then the same applies to the above by rebooting back to 95 to get it working again so it has something to do with XFDISK boot loader? Is there a way to include a command before Windows 95 starts to repair the master boot record if the MBR is the problem?

Reply 4 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came up with a fix of sorts where I removed the DVD drive from "CD drive" in device manager then opened "sysedit" and put in autoexec.bat and config.sys MSCDEX.exe and OAKCDROM.sys so before windows loads the DVD drive is loaded but im not sure about this completely as a boot after booting Dos still has a problem that says there might be a virus and that the master boot record has been modified, I dont mind this message as I can just close it but a boot after Dos has a yellow mark in device manager for "hard disk controllers" is this a problem as the DVD drive is working and it still works when I reboot into 95 to get rid of the virus/MBR message and then the device manager yellow mark is gone.

02_zpslxwgua0r.jpg

01_zpsidu0uw3y.jpg

04_zps5pwuq8qj.jpg

03_zpsgnz9dj7c.jpg