VOGONS

First post, by silvinofakir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I would like to share with you a project of mine, since some now I have stopped here some components of which I intend to give a little life again so I decided to build a "retro" PC, so far I have the following material:

MB: AsRock 775i65g; AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA; AsRock G41C-GS; P5KPL-AM SE
CPU: C2D E6700; C2Q Q6600; Pentium D 945; Pentium 4
GPU: Asus HD5770 pcie; Asus AH3450 agp
RAM: 1Gbx2 DDR400; 2Gbx2 DDR2 800
HDD: 80Gb ide; 120Gb ide; 250gb sata
Case: 1old beige; 1 old black; 1 old back and heavy
PSU: 350w; 500w; 700w

For now my idea is to build a system around AsRock 775i65g and try to optimize as best as possible, this PC will aim to install some old PC games, some emulators (Gensesis, PS1 and maybe Sega Saturn) and the OS to use will be Windows XP so as to minimize problems if compatibility.

For now is still a WIP because all this material is in my parents house but whenever I'll update it and out some photos.
If anyone has a tip or suggestion regarding this project feel free.

The initial configuration will be this:
MB: AsRock 775i65g rev. 2.0
CPU: C2D E6700
GPU: Asus AH3450 / HTP / 256M AGP
HDD: 80Gb IDE
PSU: 1Life ps: jet 500w
Case: old beige

Reply 1 of 7, by silvinofakir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a long time out the 1º stage of the build its complete, the system its running stock and stable on Win XP

s05Wzxo.jpg

e6guXO4.jpg

MZHtZyD.jpg

1DKsOOM.jpg

There is some margin for improvements in HDD and VGA, as the CPU would like to maintain a dual core but with some higher speed but for this MB the only viable option would be an x6800.
This motherboard unlike Rev3.0 is not support WOLDALE cpu, does anyone know if there is any way of compatibility? If it were possible, I would like to explore this option.
In a next phase will be to get a better cpu cooler and try to get a better card, maybe go for an Nvidia card because I do not know if I can get a HD3850, there´s rare and expensive.
I still do not know if I will keep this case or go for a newer one but for now it will be this one and finally mayby a SSD for dual boot and a sound card, lets see.

I will post new updates

Reply 6 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your retro PC is probably almost as fast as my current PC. Just needs a little more RAM.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 7, by silvinofakir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Your retro PC is probably almost as fast as my current PC. Just needs a little more RAM.

Already put 2Gb of RAM at 400mhz, let's see if can i find a better GPU now