VOGONS

Common searches

Drunk'en eBay'ing

Topic actions

First post, by Weebob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remember not to drink and eBay... this weeks damage is...

P4 541
Quadro MXR
Quadro FX 500
Quadro FX 1100

The P4 and one of the Geforce FX's make sense as that is my next build, Quadros where just cheaper. Ended up with two as I bought the "500" (Geforce FX 5200 ish) on a buy now then decided I wanted something faster.

I have no idea how or why I bought a MXR (Geforce 2MX ish), Only knew about it when it landed on my doorstep this morning.

Does anyone else have this problem? What is the worse you have done?

bjxhae-6.png

Reply 2 of 22, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wasn’t drunk but years ago I woke up in the middle of the night, was still half asleep, intended to bid on a PC but accidentally clicked Buy it Now and completed the transaction. I had spent like $800 on a computer that probably was worth $300. I was pissed at myself when I realized it moments later but decided to live with my mistake rather than attempt to dispute the transaction. Lesson learned.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 3 of 22, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BinaryDemon wrote:

I wasn’t drunk but years ago I woke up in the middle of the night, was still half asleep, intended to bid on a PC but accidentally clicked Buy it Now and completed the transaction. I had spent like $800 on a computer that probably was worth $300. I was pissed at myself when I realized it moments later but decided to live with my mistake rather than attempt to dispute the transaction. Lesson learned.

r/watchpeopledieinside

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 22, by Weebob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

Ouch!!!

bjxhae-6.png

Reply 6 of 22, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's happened to me - I ended up buying an SBC that while sober I considered it to be not worth the trouble. Fortunately / Unfortunately, 'drunk me' thinks differently and saw it as a challenge. It did eventually work though (after buying an EEPROM programmer) and it did come with an AMD x5 133 chip attached which was pretty cool.

FX quadros are quite good if the price is right 😁

Reply 7 of 22, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There have been things i've been dithering over stuff online and then gone to bed drunk and bought the stuff when i woke up in the middle of the night, still inebriated. I remember my drunk self didn't even think about it, just "yep, having that". Not yet bought anything i regret, but there's always time.

Reply 12 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't even blame my crazy acquisition sprees on inebriation. I just get bored while waiting for tea to steep and think, hm, I wonder how much Mac G4 Cubes go for? OOOH there's one with Buy It Now. I might need to get one of those. I mean... a box that can run the entire PowerPC OS X catalog? Yeah, that sounds like something I should have.

Reply 13 of 22, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I engaged in Drunk'en eBay'ing I ended up with another laserdisc player. And the Dark Crystal on CED, a format I wasn't even aware of until it came in the mail. Seller called it a videodisc...grumble grumble.

SirNickity wrote:

I can't even blame my crazy acquisition sprees on inebriation. I just get bored while waiting for tea to steep and think, hm, I wonder how much Mac G4 Cubes go for? OOOH there's one with Buy It Now. I might need to get one of those. I mean... a box that can run the entire PowerPC OS X catalog? Yeah, that sounds like something I should have.

Unfortunately I can't blame my G4 tower purchase on tea steepin' boredom. I don't even really like Macs...heavy sigh.

But I am glad that the bottle convinced me to buy a fully decked out Apple IIe w/ a stack of software back in 2005, when they were dirt cheap!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 15 of 22, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Last time I engaged in Drunk'en eBay'ing I ended up with another laserdisc player. And the Dark Crystal on CED, a format I wasn't even aware of until it came in the mail. Seller called it a videodisc...grumble grumble.

Well, it's a videodisc for sure, just not a laserdisc 😁 (videodisc was the commercial name of the format).

Reply 17 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:

In all seriousness, I would consider that a bonus. CED is pretty cool. Completely impractical, but cool.

Reply 18 of 22, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well the only thing i ever bought drunken ebaying made zero sense to me when it arrived, but for some reason I bought a Mr T Halloween mask