User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

microsoft series: qb, pds, vbdos, msc
borland series: borland pascal, borland c, turbo basic
djgpp with rhide/emacs
are there other options?
yes, you can live without ide, but it surely makes life a lot easier and more efficient.

Reply 1 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always used Borland's IDEs and found them quite comfortable and sufficiently customizable. If you want a specific compiler, you may want to choose the IDE that ships with that one (if it exists).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PowerBasic by German publisher Kirschbaum software was something that I used quite extensively back in the day. I think it was based on Turbo Basic initially.

Later I used Turbo C, which I also use now in my let's code videos. Later I switched to djgpp and emacs. No rhide back then. I stuck with Emacs ever since for C/C++, Python and Clojure. Netbeans for Java.

So it is mostly a matter of taste, but DOS projects tend to be so small that it doesn't matter much which editor/IDE you use. If you want to learn something that you can apply for a job / current tech, going djgpp would be good, since you can transfer the knowledge immediately to Linux programming. Otherwise pick the one that appeals most to you, and switch if you don't like it.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

PowerBasic by German publisher Kirschbaum software was something that I used quite extensively back in the day. I think it was based on Turbo Basic initially.

Later I used Turbo C, which I also use now in my let's code videos. Later I switched to djgpp and emacs. No rhide back then. I stuck with Emacs ever since for C/C++, Python and Clojure. Netbeans for Java.

So it is mostly a matter of taste, but DOS projects tend to be so small that it doesn't matter much which editor/IDE you use. If you want to learn something that you can apply for a job / current tech, going djgpp would be good, since you can transfer the knowledge immediately to Linux programming. Otherwise pick the one that appeals most to you, and switch if you don't like it.

djgpp is fine, but what are the options if one needs to target 16bit machines? i am not sure if borlandc 3.1 and microsoftc 7.0 would run on 8088 and 286, but i remember qb did.

Reply 4 of 6, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to TARGET 16 bit machines, but can code on 386 or up, you can use OpenWatcom. See the other thread here:

Development on a 286, for a 286

However if you want to also code on the same machine, you need to pick something besides djgpp and OpenWatcom. I suggest you simply start off with either Turbo C or Borland C++ and see how far you get.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 6, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I stick to the IDEs associated with my compilers of choice (Borland's for Turbo Pascal, Rhide for DJGPP). For general purpose editing on 386+, I use Setedit (http://setedit.sourceforge.net/).

Reply 6 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

If you want to TARGET 16 bit machines, but can code on 386 or up, you can use OpenWatcom. See the other thread here:

Development on a 286, for a 286

However if you want to also code on the same machine, you need to pick something besides djgpp and OpenWatcom. I suggest you simply start off with either Turbo C or Borland C++ and see how far you get.

watcom(dos version) doesn't have ide. and i mean not just the editor, but something that combines editing with building and debugging together to make life more efficient.
honestly, i am asking if there are products of this kind other then borland and microsoft?