VOGONS

Good DOS WYSIWYG word processor?

Topic actions

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone recommend a good DOS word processor?

I have used MS Word 5.5 and 6.0, in addition to Word Perfect 6.1 (the only WYSIWYG word processor for DOS that I know of), but I'm looking for something a little better. Here's what I'm looking for specifically.

• Support for RTF format
  • Graphics mode WYSIWYG with VGA and maybe VESA compatibility
  • More of a minimalist interface, similar to Windows 95's WordPad as opposed to Word 97, for example.
  • Does not require 386/486/Pentium
  • TrueType font support with good rendering. A lot of word processors for DOS will render the text with chunky blocks stuck on the letters because they can't scale them properly.

Beats me if this exists somewhere out there. If it doesn't, I'll be wanting to make it myself 🤣

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 20, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ventura Publisher (which ran on GEM) ran nicely on 8088 DOS PC, though not at the speed people expect nowadays.
In the 1980s I used it myself.
But that was before things like RTF, TT, so it does not fulfill your requirements.

Reply 3 of 20, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first of your requirements are doable in theory (and are something I've kind of wanted myself for a while), but I don't think a 8088/286 is going to be able to render TrueType glyphs at any usable speed, even with an 8087/80287.

Reply 4 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe the TrueType thing is not as important. Mostly I am concerned with the user interface; I don't want flashy, confusing buttons screaming at me from the screen and taking up 3 inches of vertical space; at most maybe the font settings and bold/italic/underline, and bulleted/numbered lists (with options to customize things, of course).

Word Perfect 6.1 is honestly the closest I have seen to this; it just has non-standard everything! I.e. not like MS Word, really. For example it handles block text selection in the most counterintuitive way. Also the way it renders fonts makes them look not that great.

Reply 5 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Maybe the TrueType thing is not as important. Mostly I am concerned with the user interface; I don't want flashy, confusing buttons screaming at me from the screen and taking up 3 inches of vertical space; at most maybe the font settings and bold/italic/underline, and bulleted/numbered lists (with options to customize things, of course).

Word Perfect 6.1 is honestly the closest I have seen to this; it just has non-standard everything! I.e. not like MS Word, really. For example it handles block text selection in the most counterintuitive way. Also the way it renders fonts makes them look not that great.

You know you can customize the menus and button bars in Word 6.0, right?

Reply 6 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Word 6.0 is a fake WYSIWYG interface; only supports displaying bold/italic/underlined, in the system font.

Reply 7 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Word 6.0 is a fake WYSIWYG interface; only supports displaying bold/italic/underlined, in the system font.

Uhm, what?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Then your installation is screwed up, because that plainly isn't true. I have the Microsoft manual to prove it.

Reply 9 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In pure DOS? Obviously Word 6.0 for Windows will do the full shebang but I thought the DOS version was limited to the display capabilities of Word 5.5.

Reply 10 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe you may be right; I actually had no idea (or forgot) about the existence of Word 6.0 for DOS; everyone just remembers Word 6.0 for Windows. It's very confusing to have two applications with the same name, which are actually very different!

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 20, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, you didn't specify it was the DOS version.

But yeah, look at programs for GEM; there's some nice stuff.

You could try finding a PC version of Locoscript, which is not exactly WYSIWYG, but should support multiple fonts and even has the ability to design your own...

Reply 13 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Well, you didn't specify it was the DOS version.

keenmaster486 wrote:

I will look into GEM stuff! I vaguely remember using GeoWorks at some point. I'll look at that as well.

Reply 14 of 20, by KormaX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, If you are still interested, after one year, then perhaps FLWRITER is what you are looking for. Search for it exclusively, or search for FLTK (for DOS). The whole FLTK package contains a spreadsheet editor, a calculator, PDF viewer, etc., ad FLWRITER itself. It supports TTF, various formats for import and exports, writes PDF files and do cool stuff. Has a limited support for bi-directional script, but does not support crsive scripts, like arabic, uyghur-mongolian, etc. Yet, it mostly meets your requirements.

May the DOS be with you!

Reply 15 of 20, by KormaX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, If you are still interested, after one year, then perhaps FLWRITER is what you are looking for. Search for it exclusively, or search for FLTK (for DOS). The whole FLTK package contains a spreadsheet editor, a calculator, PDF viewer, etc., ad FLWRITER itself. It supports TTF, various formats for import and exports, writes PDF files and do cool stuff. Has a limited support for bi-directional script, but does not support crsive scripts, like arabic, uyghur-mongolian, etc. Yet, it mostly meets your requirements. I think its Unicode support must be restricted to the BMP blocks, as most modern scripts, even CJK is supported, but Hungarian runics are not.

May the DOS be with you!

Reply 17 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2019-03-12, 21:36:
Can anyone recommend a good DOS word processor? […]
Show full quote

I have used MS Word 5.5 and 6.0, in addition to Word Perfect 6.1 (the only WYSIWYG word processor for DOS that I know of), but I'm looking for something a little better. Here's what I'm looking for specifically.

• Support for RTF format
  • Graphics mode WYSIWYG with VGA and maybe VESA compatibility
  • More of a minimalist interface, similar to Windows 95's WordPad as opposed to Word 97, for example.
  • Does not require 386/486/Pentium
  • TrueType font support with good rendering. A lot of word processors for DOS will render the text with chunky blocks stuck on the letters because they can't scale them properly.

Beats me if this exists somewhere out there. If it doesn't, I'll be wanting to make it myself 🤣

Have you started your own yet? The request was pretty much a pipe dream in the first place.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 18 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-04, 20:55:

Have you started your own yet? The request was pretty much a pipe dream in the first place.

I'd love to, if I can find the time =)

Reply 19 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WordPerfect's DOS WYSIWIG was big smoke back in the day.

Did Symphony 3.0 have WYSIWIG capabilities? It seems to be mostly forgotten.

I was also thinking of Ami Pro, but I don't think that ever had a DOS version.