VOGONS

First post, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still building a Windows 98 gaming rig, and it's nearly done. I'm looking to use a Voodoo 3 2000 GPU currently, but am open to different cards that may perform similarly but be cheaper. What's a good Win98 GPU that fits this criterion?

Reply 1 of 16, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo3s are cheap and support Glide and are great for DOS games, can't go wrong. For more power, the Quadro variants of the Geforce FX 5900 are fairly affordable. If you are really looking to cheapskate go for a Geforce4 MX440 which offers unbeatable performance for the price.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 16, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should probably emphasize that I'm using mostly-original hardware. I've looked at your recommended cards, and none of them seem to fit my MB, unless I'm wrong. The pins don't look compatible with my MB's AGP slot.

Reply 3 of 16, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gazirra wrote:

I should probably emphasize that I'm using mostly-original hardware. I've looked at your recommended cards, and none of them seem to fit my MB, unless I'm wrong. The pins don't look compatible with my MB's AGP slot.

Because they have 2 holes instead of 1? They will still work.

Reply 4 of 16, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:

If you are really looking to cheapskate go for a Geforce4 MX440 which offers unbeatable performance for the price.

The Quadro NVS280 is available for both AGP and PCI.
It is actually a GeForce4 MX440, difference is just a slightly increased GPU clock together with a slightly decreased memory clock.
These cards usually go for 1 euro on the bay, just take care you get one with the correct slot shield bracket (full or half height).

Reply 5 of 16, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doaks80 wrote:
Gazirra wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I was genuinely unaware that they'd work together. I've only built and modified one computer, really, and it's a modern one

Reply 6 of 16, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gazirra wrote:
doaks80 wrote:
Gazirra wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I was genuinely unaware that they'd work together. I've only built and modified one computer, really, and it's a modern one

Post the rest of ur specs.

Reply 7 of 16, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Already in the build:
AOpen AX6BC MB
512 MB RAM
Pentium III about 350 MHz
A Yamaha sound card that was recommended due to its DOS compatibility

Planned:
Win98 SE
120 GB SSD
I've been given a 54x CD-ROM, so that's going in

Probable GPU:
Voodoo 3 2000 16 MB

Reply 8 of 16, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The v3 would be fine in that build. And if you are getting a yamaha soundcard I would get an audician32 on the isa slot, really good for DOS gaming in win98.

Reply 9 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask ALL old hardware questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems.

Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 16, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you really want to cheap out on a 3dfx card, the Voodoo3 1000 (Compaq version?) is fairly inexpensive. Mine overclocks to V3 2000 specs without a heatsink and can almost to get to V3 3000 specs with a heatsink strapped to it.

Reply 12 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This gets asked A LOT, if you want a cheap AGP alternative just buy a GeForce 2 MX400, they are available by the bucketload. If you want a cheap PCI alternative, just get a Matrox G450 PCI.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14 of 16, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:
The Quadro NVS280 is available for both AGP and PCI. It is actually a GeForce4 MX440, difference is just a slightly increased GP […]
Show full quote
doaks80 wrote:

If you are really looking to cheapskate go for a Geforce4 MX440 which offers unbeatable performance for the price.

The Quadro NVS280 is available for both AGP and PCI.
It is actually a GeForce4 MX440, difference is just a slightly increased GPU clock together with a slightly decreased memory clock.
These cards usually go for 1 euro on the bay, just take care you get one with the correct slot shield bracket (full or half height).

It uses NV34, which is Geforce FX era chipset (same as FX5200). Also note it has a DMS-59, not DVI!, so if you pick one up, make sure its got the cable (which comes in both dual VGA/DVI). Useless without it. Apparently works in Win98! although never tried myself.

Reply 15 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

And if you particularly want GLide, the Voodoo Banshee is generally the cheapest 3DFx option and not that much slower than a V3.

Well, to be fair it's about half as fast as a V3; but it's still a fairly good alternative to a TNT or TNT2 M64/Vanta etc.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 16, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends on your gaming needs. I don't think you can find a 350MHz Pentium 3 because it was introduced at 450MHz. There was a very good performance improvement in Coppermine vs. Katmai. Socket 370 P3 Coppermines are very inexpensive with a large selection of coolers. Coppermine compatible slotkets are also fairly easy to find. It makes sense to get a video card capable of v1.x shaders like a Radeon 8500 or 9200 AGP and complement it with a pair of Voodoo 2 cards for Glide gaming.

My Active Sales on CPU-World