VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on an IO shield for a Baby AT board (that specifically has a DIN keyboard connector at the very least). One that would fit an ATX case?

Reply 2 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retardware wrote:

One and done.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 12, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want metal for screening, then you can get blank ones (on a slow boat from China) - and if it only needs one hole for DIN KB, that's about the best case for dealing with a blank - though it would either be a very large drill bit, or a small hole cutter

Reply 4 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matth79 wrote:

If you want metal for screening, then you can get blank ones (on a slow boat from China) - and if it only needs one hole for DIN KB, that's about the best case for dealing with a blank - though it would either be a very large drill bit, or a small hole cutter

If going that route, I'd use a screw hole punch. It'll be next to impossible to work that thin spring steel like sheet metal with any larger spiral drill than a few millimeters. Maybe a step drill could work if you clamp the shield to a piece of wood, and you're extremely careful, but wouldn't bet on it.

Also, using a screw hole punch is way less risky. Wouldn't want to have my hands anywhere close to that shield if the drill bit/hole saw seizes.

Reply 5 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a step drill and a wood block for my shield. Works quite well. Go slow and cautiously. Maybe apply some cutting oil.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bergqvistjl wrote:

Surprised there weren't more of these officially made, given Baby AT boards lasted until 1999...

Nearly all early ATX cases came with these, they were all just immediately trashed.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroLizard wrote on 2020-06-30, 22:20:

I'm wondering if I can buy a pre-made IO shield with just the cutout for a DIN-type keyboard connector from somebody. Any suggestions for that? (I don't have any tools for making my own.)

Most of the real old AT cases did not have a I/O shield, the AT hole was made into the case. I have a few press in type but cannot really spare them as they rare as certain case floppy or HD rails. If you could use a screw in type can gladly send you one free (if you live in USA), it is similar to the one in the picture but AT with DIN KB only or KB and a punch out for ps/2 mouse port..
https://s.yimg.com/aah/mypccase/atx-i-o-shiel … ew-mount-14.gif

appiah4 wrote on 2019-03-15, 06:09:

Nearly all early ATX cases came with these, they were all just immediately trashed.

Only those that were made during the mid 90's AT - ATX transition included them, some were screw in type and not press in like modern ATX (have a bunch for early Enlight cases that AT were screw in AND a few of those cases which would also accept ATX press in)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 12, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-30, 23:30:

I'm wondering if I can buy a pre-made IO shield with just the cutout for a DIN-type keyboard connector from somebody. Any suggestions for that? (I don't have any tools for making my own.)

Most of the real old AT cases did not have a I/O shield, the AT hole was made into the case. I have a few press in type but cannot really spare them as they rare as certain case floppy or HD rails. If you could use a screw in type can gladly send you one free (if you live in USA), it is similar to the one in the picture but AT with DIN KB only or KB and a punch out for ps/2 mouse port..

I'm not sure if the case I'm seeking an IO shield for supports screw-in IO shields.

Reply 11 of 12, by RunningInThe90's

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-30, 23:30:
Most of the real old AT cases did not have a I/O shield, the AT hole was made into the case. I have a few press in type but cann […]
Show full quote

appiah4 wrote on 2019-03-15, 06:09:

Only those that were made during the mid 90's AT - ATX transition included them, some were screw in type and not press in like modern ATX (have a bunch for early Enlight cases that AT were screw in AND a few of those cases which would also accept ATX press in)

Hey Horun, could I bother you to send me one of those screw in i/o shields like in the link? I'm building a piii sys with old parts laying around and it just so happens the case I'm using is uses that type. I would really appreciate it.

Reply 12 of 12, by KVM Nerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bergqvistjl wrote on 2019-03-13, 11:18:

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on an IO shield for a Baby AT board (that specifically has a DIN keyboard connector at the very least). One that would fit an ATX case?

You can order http://www.vt-shop.online/index.php?route=pro … t&product_id=63. Their shop is also on eBay, but the web shop is cheaper.

Why not hook it up to a KVM switch?