VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i've got a P3 (1Ghz coppermine) system running DOS, with a Rendition card in.

I've upgraded the game to v17, and playing it with the "svga" switch (as I have a rendition card and the patch recommends this), the game crashes with a DOS4GW error as soon as I get to the first "interactive" part, (i.e. as soon as the Sinner's Inn scene loads after the intro movies).

I then swapped out the rendition card for an ATI Rage 128 card, but still had the same error.

Is this because of the CPU, or because my system also has 128MB of RAM?

I'm planning to downgrade to an AMD K6-2 machine (400mhz), but i'm wondering if (assuming I get past the crash) that would still be too fast, and cause the well-known speedup in the point & click scenes?

Reply 3 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you positive that it's not just your copy of the game being broken/corrupt? Do you have another machine where this exact copy works?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 6, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Privateer 2 was notorious for crashing constantly and being very buggy and unfinished overall. The CPU could be an issue, I don't think I ever tried it on such a fast CPU. One thing to try out would be to replace the DOS4GW extender with DOS/32A and see if that helps out. Another thing to point out is, are you running the game under Windows or under DOS?

In any case, provided that your copy of the game is fine, I don't see any reason it shouldn't run on a K6-2 400, although it might be a tad slow at SVGA.

Reply 5 of 6, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote:

Privateer 2 was notorious for crashing constantly and being very buggy and unfinished overall. The CPU could be an issue, I don't think I ever tried it on such a fast CPU. One thing to try out would be to replace the DOS4GW extender with DOS/32A and see if that helps out. Another thing to point out is, are you running the game under Windows or under DOS?

In any case, provided that your copy of the game is fine, I don't see any reason it shouldn't run on a K6-2 400, although it might be a tad slow at SVGA.

Under MS-DOS. It's the oringal DOS CD-ROM edition, patched using the "Buffalo Wings" patch.

What CPU would not be slow at SVGA? K6-2+ @ 500? I've just got one of those now. But I wasn't expecting it to be that much of a performance boost vs the K6-2 400.

Last edited by bergqvistjl on 2019-03-14, 13:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Are you positive that it's not just your copy of the game being broken/corrupt? Do you have another machine where this exact copy works?

Yes, it works on Windows 98 (in MS-DOS mode) on a tualatin 1.4Ghz machine, with 256MB RAM - however the game (in the non-spaceflight) mode is sped up.