VOGONS

Reply 11320 of 27334, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Upgraded this below, with modern gut's....

MeanWell-07.jpg
Filename
MeanWell-07.jpg
File size
341.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And this is how I did it.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11321 of 27334, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retardware wrote:
RetroLizard wrote:

Apropos scam, I had to find out that the D-Link DGE-528T (Gbit ethernet PCI card) which allegedly offers DOS drivers, actually has only Novell drivers 🙁
So there seems indeed no way around Intel network card for my upcoming AT class IBM style playstation build. I ordered a Pro/1000 GT, lets see when it arrives.

Those D-Links are actually RTL8169s with a different PCI ID (1186:4300 rather than 8169:10ec, IIRC).
You can either edit the onboard EEPROM (the one I did was DIP-8 so easy enough to desolder without fancy tools) or the drivers to use Genuine Realtek™ drivers, which should exist for pretty much anything.

Reply 11322 of 27334, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replaced the motherboard on my HP Compaq nc6230. Still doesn't power on, no LEDs come on. Well, the charging LED comes on briefly and then goes off. Might be an issue with the power adapter.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11324 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finishing up on my year plus Mathematica, Inc. Tempra software archive project. Some more scanning to do, but I can see the finish line. Media Author was the hardest to find. Back in the early 90s that was $1000 software. I was lucky enough to find a sealed copy on Ebay recently fairly cheap.

The two professional products in the middle are Tempra Pro and Show on the left and Tempra Media Author on the right. Basically it was all DOS based software on floppy disks for professional multimedia authoring which included video capture and overlay capabilities. With a decent ISA video capture card it turned your DOS machine into something similar to an Amiga NewTek Video Toaster setup. Tempra Vision and Tempra Access Plus were newer CD-ROM based software for Windows more oriented for light personal use. Mathematica, Inc. finally went belly up in the mid 1990s.

Tempra Family.jpg
Filename
Tempra Family.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2019-03-13, 03:35. Edited 11 times in total.

Reply 11325 of 27334, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrea wrote:
retardware wrote:
RetroLizard wrote:

Apropos scam, I had to find out that the D-Link DGE-528T (Gbit ethernet PCI card) which allegedly offers DOS drivers, actually has only Novell drivers 🙁
So there seems indeed no way around Intel network card for my upcoming AT class IBM style playstation build. I ordered a Pro/1000 GT, lets see when it arrives.

Those D-Links are actually RTL8169s with a different PCI ID (1186:4300 rather than 8169:10ec, IIRC).
You can either edit the onboard EEPROM (the one I did was DIP-8 so easy enough to desolder without fancy tools) or the drivers to use Genuine Realtek™ drivers, which should exist for pretty much anything.

Realtek has NDIS and ODI drivers, but no packet driver (for the RTL8168 family, RTL8139 has everything). You can always use ODI with a packet driver shim on top.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11326 of 27334, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received my 386 motherboard yesterday, and it did not work. It did not generate a display, and gave a constant beep. I noticed it had some corrosion around the old battery spot, so I inspected it and ohmed out the traces, and noticed that 3 of them were broken.
I then took the Pace Microchine out for a spin and did some trace repair. I think it turned out pretty well, considering it's my first time!
Before: (bottom left diagonal traces below keyboard connector)
s-l1600.jpg
After:
4NAG5Lih.jpg?1

The motherboard is now alive and well, and is happy in its new home! I need to make a new sticker for it now that it's a 386 and not a 286.
QUsPu8Hh.jpg

Here's the board for anyone interested. It's a clone of a SOYO board made by FUYU. The date code on the 386 says 1989, and I found a sticker on the board that says '90. I would date this board early 1990.
It uses SIPP RAM and is fully loaded with 16 MB of it. It uses an Intel 386DX-20, and I have a 387 installed.
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/S … 386-SY-018.html
s-l1600.jpg

The first thing I noticed about this board is how hilariously huge it is. Here it is in comparison to the 286 board I was using before I got the 386. It barely fits into the case I installed it in. Less than .5" (1.25 cm) clearance on all sides.
Z8HtDC1h.jpg

I also added a SCSI Caddy CD-ROM drive. Some people hate the caddies, but I like them because they:
1) Protect your disks
2) Make a satisfying "Clunk" sound when inserted
3) They don't knock crap off my desk when I bump the eject button.
It's a Toshiba XM3401B. I also installed a Trantor T-160 SCSI card, and replaced my dying IBM IDE drive with a Maxtor LXT213SY 215MB SCSI drive.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 11327 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got the FIC K8M-800M to boot. It was the ATX-ATX w/ -5VDC that caused the issues for some odd reason. Built another Windows 98SE machine out of spare parts and will burn drivers on a CD for the chipset, video, the whole 9 yards. Old school LAN party will be coming up.

20190312_234900.jpg
Filename
20190312_234900.jpg
File size
315.38 KiB
Views
File comment
Front of the case
File license
20190312_234854.jpg
Filename
20190312_234854.jpg
File size
399.74 KiB
Views
File comment
IT LIVES!!!
File license

This was me when I finally got that board to work:

tenor.gif?itemid=12791856

I almost gave up, but, after looking at what happened and did a test with the spare parts (the Socket 370 board wouldn't power on either with the adapter, but, it does now without it), I patted myself on the back. All it needs now is a CR2032 battery and an OS.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2019-03-19, 05:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11328 of 27334, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:
Received my 386 motherboard yesterday, and it did not work. It did not generate a display, and gave a constant beep. I noticed i […]
Show full quote

Received my 386 motherboard yesterday, and it did not work. It did not generate a display, and gave a constant beep. I noticed it had some corrosion around the old battery spot, so I inspected it and ohmed out the traces, and noticed that 3 of them were broken.
I then took the Pace Microchine out for a spin and did some trace repair. I think it turned out pretty well, considering it's my first time!

After:
4NAG5Lih.jpg?1

The motherboard is now alive and well, and is happy in its new home!

Nice board and nice work!

Reply 11329 of 27334, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should cure the corrosion with vinegar, because it will continue eating the traces.

By the way, this is an AT motherboard, opposed to the Baby AT format ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11330 of 27334, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a pile of computer parts off what I assume was a methhead for $5. Some of this stuff is from the 1970s, does anyone have ANY clue what this stuff is? My knowledge is limited prior to 1990.

The only one I've been able to identify is the SD Sales Micronix Z8800B CPU card for the S100 bus (Altair and clones?) and a Cirrus Logic VLB Video board (not pictured). I'm assuming most of the weird edge connectors are various CPU cards and the VLB cards are ram expanders? They aren't complex enough to video cards, not do they have any video outputs. I'm at a loss here.

kgE8200.jpg
b4qBgBi.jpg
aEePyEr.jpg
KieAw1k.jpg
ksOvJqV.jpg

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 11332 of 27334, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Vcfed.org time. Some of those look like S-100 cards. ^^^

Didn't realize they had an active S100 scene over their. Posted, thanks.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 11333 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The to two with the wider center connector look like S-100 bus cards, the lower ones look like funky proprietary buses used on various industrial or tool equipment, I got a bunch recently that I thought might be S100 but a quick measurement of the connector said they weren't.

What I had were from a few HP test boxes and a light industrial milling machine.

---- ----

Technically last night but I got my PCI Mac Rage128 working on a Beige G3, but my Power Computing Powerbase 180 doesn't want to recognize it despite having the drivers. Still have to drag down the Power Tower 225 and test it.

For whatever reason both PC and Mac people think early-mid ATI cards are super rare and keep flashing and occasionally bricking the cards, and the flashed cards end up on the market and dumped as not working. It's too bad the communities don't talk that much, y'all could just *trade cards* since the Mac people seem to have all the PC ones and the PC people seem to have all the Mac ones.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 11334 of 27334, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually badly want a PCI Rage 128 for PC and cant find one for a reasonable price or trade offer..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11335 of 27334, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I re-purposed an SAS 5/IR RAID card status cable to link my pentium II motherboard speaker connection to the AWE64 - Might and Magic 3 sounds so much better, and the speech is pretty decent.

Need to check the CD audio cable is working tonight, and then that's pretty much a completed build, case will be staying on. p2 300MHz, 384MB, Intel NIC, Geforce MX400, Voodoo 2, Musicquest MIDI card, AWE64, an SSD, and HxC floppy/SD card. The XP/Windows 8 gaming box is also in what is likely to be its final state, so it's only the 486 that now needs building (underclock a DX2-66 to a DX2-40, stick in a Reelmagic card, SB16, and a 5.25" floppy).

Also tried playing Sam and Max, and found the same hanging issues as everyone else when trying to have SoundBlaster sound and General MIDI music. If run under OS/2 it prints out a stack trace before hanging.

I'm sure I have had it working, may well try getting it working on the 486.

Reply 11336 of 27334, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed NT and tested out recently acquired floppy drives. First two I tried out of the batch had issues which didn't give me hope for the others. Oddly enough though, the rest worked fine.

Reply 11337 of 27334, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently bought an anesty ZD-915 desolder gun. Cheap chinese shit. HOWEVER it seems to be perfectly functional.

Tonight I spent over an hour desoldering 387 pins on a dual socket 8 motherboard. The socket was somehow shorted when I inserted a processor, so I'm 1/2 way into replacing the socket.

Hell, I got the damn thing out with only a few pins that decided to stay behind. Those were easyiy removed with a bit of gentile persuasion from tweezers, and only one was stubburn enough to warrant me getting the desolder gun out again.

I'll be testing the board to be sure the short wasn't somewhere else and reinstalling a NOS cpu socket.

387 pins and ZERO broken pads? Well worth the $130 I paid for the machine. Works perfectly for recapping boards. link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07542D82F/

edit: https://imgur.com/gallery/dYLN2C9 <- pic of socket

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11338 of 27334, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I actually badly want a PCI Rage 128 for PC and cant find one for a reasonable price or trade offer..

I got a couple with old PCs and the one I bought for the mac was $10 plus shipping on ebay.

Patience and keep an eye out.

Though it looks like people keep driving prices up by bricking them by flashing the wrong one (it's often fixable if you can pull the ROM but people throw them out).

*Too* *many* *things*!