VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 27740 of 52357, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a Jetway J-542B mobo with K6-2 400Mhz. Also comes with a USB bracket, however one of the ports has been labelled as not working, and there's a loose wire that one would think would go into the header pins (however the only empty one appears to be intentionally empty according to the mobo's manual anyway):

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
611.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Aside from that, the board looks in good condition on inspecting it myself. Havent run it yet as i'm waiting on an appropriately-sized cooler & a PS/2 port header.

Reply 27741 of 52357, by Anterag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:

You know you can find the final commercial release of that game fairly cheap on Ebay or do you just want the prototype demo because it's different from the final release?

Yes, I was talking about the proto demo version. I can't find the prototype anywhere else. Thank you in advance.

Reply 27742 of 52357, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Quadro FX3000.
Unfortunatly one of the outputs give a pink-ish picture (but doesnt crash) so i suspect a damaged port.
Apart from that it works fine, and is hilariously fast =)
Around 7000 score in 3dmark2001SE on a BX motherboard with a 1.1GHz P3.
I absolutly prefer the native AGP cards over the bridge chip ones.

Also i expected the fan to be more anoying.
I mean its kinda loud, but nowhere near as bad as the X850XT abomination of a cooler.
Still, Ill probably look for another cooler if the card gets used much.

Reply 27743 of 52357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got these for less than 40 bucks shipped from a guy trying to unload some retro stuff for cash.. I was originally going to just buy a SS7 board bundle, but it turned out to have a broken ferrite ring choke, so I asked him what else he had.. This is what I walked away with.

Data-Expert-EXP-8046.jpg AMD-Am486-DX4-100-SV8-B.jpg Cyrix-MII-233-75-MHz.jpg

Acer-Magic-S23-A.jpg Edison-Gold-16-C.jpg UTD65-A-PS-YM-01.jpg

UTD-01-CL542-X.jpg S3-Trio64-V2-DX.jpg Goldstar-Prime2-Multi-IO-ISA.jpg

I think I had a great deal (even though that's my third Edison Gold-16 and it has a broken wavetable header - though that's easily fixable; I will likely sell this one off, though, for the first reasonable offer)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27744 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Turbo -> wrote:

Today's catch: ATA IDE HDD 80GB and 13 x 30-pin SIMM EDO RAM. Cost me 5 EUR on a local auction site.

30p EDO... haven't seen that before. What kind of system supports it? Some very late 486 chipset with anachronistic 30p SIMM slots? Or something non-x86?

Speaking of which, tomorrow I'm picking up a system that takes 200p SIMMs, but they're FPM, not EDO. Will post it here with pics when I have it 😉

Reply 27745 of 52357, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mobo which I bought a week ago has arrived.

When it arrived, I had to find out that seller did not tell about the corrosion around the battery compartment. A PCB trace was damaged and the pins of the two TTLs near the battery were covered with greenish corrosion stuff. In the article photo of the seller this area was shadowed by the slots.

DSCN9511.jpg

DSCN9522.jpg

Even more unusual, it looked like as it had been oil spill over one slot and its surroundings. (See the left middle slot and the oily film covering the components around)

DSCN9521.jpg

I had to bathe it three times - once IPA to dissolve the oil, then highly-detergented water to get off the cruds, and finally IPA again to take away the water.

And then to bend back many pins on the boards' underside. Obviously bent from stacking the scavenged boards, several almost shorting. Slot tops were also scratched and scraped.

DSCN9515.jpg

But now it is clean like new 😀

DSCN9528.jpg
DSCN9529.jpg

Seems to be common that some vintage sellers treat their stuff like crap.
Making the board fit for use cost me a few hours..

What do you give as feedback if sellers do not tell about such damages?

Reply 27746 of 52357, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol, comes with the territory of having too many boards and not enough places to put them all.

I regrettably need to bag up as many boards and stuff that i have laying around as I can, but I'm going to run out of bags and containers well before I run out of boards and other components. This is after receiving a load of random boards/stuff from a friend who had been hoarding them for years.

Hopefully I can avoid doing real damage though, and I have removed the batteries from all the boards that I have. I would never have thought I would have an excess of 386/486 and Pentium boards (to my needs).

Reply 27747 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it was visible on the photos, caveat emptor. If not I suppose it depends on the price&expectation rasied. If you pay for scrap, that's what you can expect, if you pay for working good stuff, they owe you an explanation and some form of resolution.

Reply 27749 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@choose007

I actually checked my garage to see if someone had swiped my board!

If you have any questions, hit up in PMs. Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27750 of 52357, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

If it was visible on the photos, caveat emptor. If not I suppose it depends on the price&expectation rasied. If you pay for scrap, that's what you can expect, if you pay for working good stuff, they owe you an explanation and some form of resolution.

The article title was "486 ISA AT Retro Mainboard / Motherboard 8MB SIMM RAM", state was given as "Used: Article with usage traces, but in good state", and the article description was "486 ISA AT Retro Mainboard with 8MB SIMM RAM".
Price was 33.90 Euros (~ $38.50) plus shipping.

So I guess that was not advertised as category "scrap".
At least the oil and the corrosion should have been mentioned imho.

There was only one photo, with light coming from the side, mercifully shadowing and obscuring the corrosion and the shiny oily area:

s-l1600.jpg

I think I'll ask the seller for comment and partial refund as compensation for the work involved.

Reply 27752 of 52357, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

@choose007
I actually checked my garage to see if someone had swiped my board!
If you have any questions, hit up in PMs. Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

I know your build 😀 Yep this Asus is very similar board like this.

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 27753 of 52357, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Turbo -> wrote:

Today's catch: ATA IDE HDD 80GB and 13 x 30-pin SIMM EDO RAM. Cost me 5 EUR on a local auction site.

30p EDO... haven't seen that before. What kind of system supports it? Some very late 486 chipset with anachronistic 30p SIMM slots? Or something non-x86?

Might be laser printer RAM...

Reply 27754 of 52357, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote:
Got a Quadro FX3000. Unfortunatly one of the outputs give a pink-ish picture (but doesnt crash) so i suspect a damaged port. Apa […]
Show full quote

Got a Quadro FX3000.
Unfortunatly one of the outputs give a pink-ish picture (but doesnt crash) so i suspect a damaged port.
Apart from that it works fine, and is hilariously fast =)
Around 7000 score in 3dmark2001SE on a BX motherboard with a 1.1GHz P3.
I absolutly prefer the native AGP cards over the bridge chip ones.

Also i expected the fan to be more anoying.
I mean its kinda loud, but nowhere near as bad as the X850XT abomination of a cooler.
Still, Ill probably look for another cooler if the card gets used much.

I'm very satisfied with my quadro fx3000 and this cooling solution, you should find it NOS fairly cheap:

https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/nv-silencer-4-rev-2.html

Reply 27755 of 52357, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The quadro3000 is ridiculously goood. Try overclocking it, it's insane. I have a brand new one with this massive daughterboard providing framesync ports....and several others. They are so cheap compared to fx 5900s. The fan isnt too bad, disappears in the roar of the pentium4 northwood system. Its overkill for the dx8 and lower games I use it for...and that's a good thing.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 27756 of 52357, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chose007 wrote:

Finally I found good MB for my XXXL tower 😀
MB needs some repairs.
[snip]

Talk about a "Tower of Power", that beats those so-called "Full tower" cases 😜

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 27757 of 52357, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_0081.JPG
Filename
IMG_0081.JPG
File size
729.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I finally got a vortex 2 card (an Aureal A3D branded card), and I managed to get it for $10 AU.

Reply 27758 of 52357, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From last few days...

Seller had 2 so hey, for that price....Just needed to buy the cover for RAM and WIFI. Had some spare RAM so both at 4GB now

XRjqWrvl.jpg

Lately buying flightsim games too

AHErcZLl.jpg?1

And I jumped on this one:

KXAZeyUl.jpg

me37Lzol.jpg

90lrMfzl.jpg

Still need to check which CPU it is because nor the BIOS nor W95 says which 486 it is. Probably DX2 or DX4
The Audioman well hmmmmm, never saw that one but he offered it for 10€ because I bought the laptop. Is complete with manuals and software. No AC adapter though.
I wonder if this sounds good :p

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 27759 of 52357, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My non-x86 side got very happy today:

full.jpg

A Sun Sparcstation 20 with a separate SCSI CDRom drive in a 'lunchbox' (slightly newer than the SS20, that styling fits an Ultra 2), a Type 5 keyboard and (ball) mouse, and a spare TurboGX framebuffer.

Then looking inside:
full.jpg
A single MBUS CPU module, an SM61 (60MHz CPU, 50MHz bus) by the look of it, and a fairly miserly 2x 32MB DSIMMs for 64MB of RAM (these things max out at 512MB and Solaris 9 is SLOOOOW under 192MB). If I want to seriously use it, that needs addressing. Finally another TGX framebuffer and a combined Sun SCSI & Ethernet card (not sure why, it's the same SE-SCSI and 10MbE as the thing has onboard), and two SCA SCSI HDDs (1.05GB and 4.2GB). Oh and, the plastic Sun used realy, REALLY didn't age well. Basically anything I touch disintegrates 😒

So, grabbed the relevant cables and my Sun TFT and booted:
full.jpg

Good news: the basic hardware works, with CPU, RAM, HDDs and (after a bit of probing) CDRom all being detected.
Bad news: the inevitable aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa MAC and "The IDPROM contents are invalid". Yep, after a quarter of a century the RTC is dead.

Oh well, I know the drill by now: look for a new NVRAM RTC module or get out that dremel... 😉