VOGONS

First post, by Jubal the Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

first time poster, one-month long lurker. My friends and I are doing a Windows 98 LAN party on "period-correct" (mostly meaning bare metal, no VMs) hardware. We have many games on our playlist, however the most important one (to me) is Unreal Tournament GOTY.I have an original CD for that version, copyrighted 2000.

I am inserting the disc into my CDROM, however I keep getting an "illegal operation" error before the CD intializes which states:

"SETUP caused an exception c0000006H in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7c811"

The error code is followed by registers which I would be happy to share if needed.

So far, this has been the only game for which I have received that error.

Here are my specs:
Pentium III 550 Mhz Katmai proc.
Abit Be6 motherboard
Asus Geforce4 MX 440 64 mb
320 mb of SDRAM
CT4740 Sound Blaster soundcard
Creative Vibra Model 125 IDE CD-ROM

No floppy drive installed.

I have all of my drivers installed.'

Please help or my friends will call me a nerd and make me buy pizza and I'm poor and stupid help

Reply 2 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the disc scratched or is there discoloration when you look at the shiny side?

If you need a backup copy, take a picture of you with the original disc and post it here to verify ownership so I can help.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by Jubal the Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can install my UT disk on every XP and beyond machine Ive tried, though, that's the issue. It just can't be read for some reason on my 98 machine. I do not have access to a other's CDROM drive. Also, I've been able to install every other game I've tried with this CDROM drive, including other 2-diskers

https://imgur.com/gallery/rhHlm0m Heres my proof I own the stuff. Sorry, I'm doing the lazy thing, but my phone doesn't like this site

Reply 5 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jubal the Wizard wrote:

I can install my UT disk on every XP and beyond machine Ive tried, though, that's the issue. It just can't be read for some reason on my 98 machine. I do not have access to a other's CDROM drive. Also, I've been able to install every other game I've tried with this CDROM drive, including other 2-diskers

https://imgur.com/gallery/rhHlm0m Heres my proof I own the stuff. Sorry, I'm doing the lazy thing, but my phone doesn't like this site

You have a PM. You can just respond here since your post count isn't high enough to send a PM.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 7, by Jubal the Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it! Thank you! I also copied the contents of my disc on to a flash drive, and that worked to install as well! Ugh, I guess I'll never know what exactly is up... Thanks for the help all!

Reply 7 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome. Glad you got it working.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK