VOGONS

Reply 2080 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, sourcing parts is no problem! PCB plus Interwave is fine.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2081 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad news everyone! Slight delay with the production, as the first audit "failed" due to the producer being unable to exchange one of the gerber files.
On the positive side ... there won't be any annoying visible "pool marker" on the board.

EDIT: Never mind ... seems like they went full speed on the audit this time and sent the board off to production already after re-ordering.
EDIT2: PCBs are being shipped 😀

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2082 of 3172, by Katara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote:
Bad news everyone! Slight delay with the production, as the first audit "failed" due to the producer being unable to exchange on […]
Show full quote

Bad news everyone! Slight delay with the production, as the first audit "failed" due to the producer being unable to exchange one of the gerber files.
On the positive side ... there won't be any annoying visible "pool marker" on the board.

EDIT: Never mind ... seems like they went full speed on the audit this time and sent the board off to production already after re-ordering.
EDIT2: PCBs are being shipped 😀

Great news, I hope there will be enough cards for everyone, I joined this forum just to follow up with the development of the gravis clone, I never thought you will go this far!

Reply 2084 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news everyone!
https://i.imgur.com/PkcxC8w.jpg

Bad news everyone!
JLC PCB fucked up the instructions, meaning the cards ended up with the pool marker being visible when the card is fully populated 🙁
Even worse news everyone!
Shipping will be a bit delayed ... probably after easter. I'll PM you once your board has been shipped.

[Z?]

Reply 2085 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the PCBs look lovely.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2086 of 3172, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really understand what you mean about the pool marker being visible, but they do look really nice regardless. I guess this means we need to order some components so we can build and test these cards, is there a spreadsheet or parts list thats up to date?

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 2087 of 3172, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Whiskey wrote:

I don't really understand what you mean about the pool marker being visible, but they do look really nice regardless. I guess this means we need to order some components so we can build and test these cards, is there a spreadsheet or parts list thats up to date?

JLC puts a tiny text (like a serial number) on the PCBs, to track quality complaints and such. I never minded them before, but if you don't want them they need to silkscreen them where e.g. an IC will be placed.

89E91379-8D65-4BE8-BF88-8426DB378757.jpeg
Filename
89E91379-8D65-4BE8-BF88-8426DB378757.jpeg
File size
71.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 2088 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup, that's what I originally set the "JLCJLCJLCJLC" marker under the main IC for ... sadly looks like they missed or ignored it.

On another project I've gone as far as scrubbing it off with a fiberglass pen and re-sealing the PCB with some UV-cureable solder resist with mixed results (south of the large FPGA): https://i.imgur.com/BSRqvHy.jpg

Also thanks for reminding me to upgrade the parts list ... it should be the same as for prototype #2 except for 2 more 10k or 0 ohm resistors and the additional 2x5 header for ESP/SPDIF.

[Z?]

Reply 2089 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't worry about the JLC marker , in fact I can say I don't care about it being there
looking good shock___ !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2090 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolutely awesome! 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 2091 of 3172, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can tell them to put the marker to a specific area. An aquaintance suggested putting the message into the gerbers themselves.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2092 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

You can tell them to put the marker to a specific area. An aquaintance suggested putting the message into the gerbers themselves.

Which is exactly what I did ... after they cancelled my original order, so I could add it again. If they said "better luck next time" I'd have been ok with that. Now I have 2 markers and ended up with a 3 day delay. Meh.

[Z?]

Reply 2093 of 3172, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow!

But these are still just beta boards so no big deal. Things happen. Not like it is going to affect the functionality in any way.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2094 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

On another project I've gone as far as scrubbing it off with a fiberglass pen and re-sealing the PCB with some UV-cureable solder resist with mixed results (south of the large FPGA): https://i.imgur.com/BSRqvHy.jpg

On a few boards, I actually scraped very carefully with a sharp, stiff blade. When the deed was done, you could hardly tell that anything had been there, and there was very little observable effect on the solder mask.

When dealing with smaller boards, you can save a few dollars by creating your own panels. I did that with one adaptor board I used for my early ROM module experimentation. I got 20 of them for the same price as five, and the marker was placed on the break-off tab above the usable boards. Now that I've done that successfully, it may be a way to cut costs on future ROM module production.

Reply 2096 of 3172, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Wow!

But these are still just beta boards so no big deal. Things happen. Not like it is going to affect the functionality in any way.

I`m pretty sure they will work perfectly as the last prototype did 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2097 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Wow!

I`m pretty sure they will work perfectly as the last prototype did 😀

You are correct ... just assembled one board: https://i.imgur.com/a2okbvq.jpg
Only did major testing so far (output via demo/xtc-play, RAM test, ROM dump + checksum), but looks like no new issues were introduced. Meaning the design is final unless something severe pops up.

EDIT: Updated partslist will follow tomorrow.

[Z?]

Reply 2098 of 3172, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This looks really lovely, I hope nothing bad is found during testing ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2099 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Meaning the design is final unless something severe pops up.

We'll have to pay special attention to the 4-MiB ROM bank again. I suspect that the resistor changes will fix the problems with the previous prototype, but I'll only be fully convinced when I hear it.