Rank

Hello,

I recently built a retro PC with the following specs:

Pentium III 733mhz
GeForce FX 5200 / 4 MX440
Soundblaster Live!
512 RAM
Windows 98 SE

I used the latest drivers for the FX 5200 card but there were a lot of issues with many games. Missing textures, artifacts, some weren't starting at all.

Games like Quake 2 though ran great. Great texture details, smooth 60 FPS etc.

However, i wasn't satisfied with the compatibility so i tried a GeForce 4 MX440 with the recommended 45.23 drivers.
The games that had issues with the FX5200 ran perfectly, but i launched Quake 2 and the textures look like shit - the lowest of low quality.

I switched the card back to the FX 5200 with the same driver and the result was the same.

Does anyone have an idea if i should try newer drivers or if this is some setting i can change ?
I looked around in the config file of the game but didn't find any texture settings

Also, i tried installing a Voodoo 3 3k, but i only got 640x480 resolution and everything looked bad, i tried 1.04 and 1.03.04 drivers - same result.

Best regards,
N.Y.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    Filename
    untitled2.JPG
    File size
    61.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • untitled.JPG
    Filename
    untitled.JPG
    File size
    91.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the pinned topic in this forum: "This forum is for running old windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows" Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 3, by yoteca_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Wrong forum. As per the pinned topic in this forum: "This forum is for running old windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows" Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Ahh, sorry, how can i move the topic to the correct forum ?