VOGONS

First post, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I want to install the PC game Deathtrap Dungeon on my Windows 98SE PC.
When I try to install the game it comes to 52%, after that the computer says "ERROR DURING MOVE DATA PROCESS: -117."
When I choose to install with movies it comes to 52%, otherwise 83% but I always get the same error message and the
install quits. What could be the problem here? I have tried to install the game on 3 different Windows 98 computers with the
same error. It's not problem with the CD because there are almost non scratches and it works to install on Windows XP and Windows 7
but on those platforms the sound are not working. Also, I have no antivirus on this compuer that could cause conflicts.

So is there any way to come around this error?

My rig is:
Pentium III 850 Mhz
Geforce2 MMX 400

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the pinned announcement of this forum:

This forum is for running old windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I successfully installed the game on a US English Windows 98 SE system with a 3dfx Voodoo5 AGP card just now. This system does not use any of the "unofficial service packs."

Eidos published in various parts of the world, so you might see if you have a CD-ROM intended for some other part of the world. I have attached a photo of my U.S. version CD-ROM for comparison. I don't see any serial number or ID on the disk.

I have also attached SHA256 sums (zipped) for the entire CD-ROM, so you can compare with your disk for errors/differences. Note that the disk has hidden files with file sizes that Windows (any version) will misinterpret. These files caused the following errors when generating the SHA256 sums:

d:\A.DAT: error at offset 202317824: Invalid argument
d:\B.DAT: error at offset 202317824: Invalid argument
d:\C.DAT: error at offset 202309632: Invalid argument
d:\D.DAT: error at offset 202309632: Invalid argument

So there are no SHA256 sums for these hidden files. Bear that in mind if you do a comparison of checksums.

I would suggest that you make sure that you are not running any unnecessary programs when trying to install the game. Idiot things like Creative Disk Detector and similar programs come to mind. Use the Task Manager to terminate anything that does not have to be running before trying to install again.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 19040205.JPG
    Filename
    19040205.JPG
    File size
    240.25 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Deathtrap Dungeon US CD-ROM Photo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    DDSHA256.zip
    File size
    37.09 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File comment
    Deathtrap Dungeon SHA256 Sums
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

I had the books if that's any help 😊

🤣!

collector wrote:

Wrong forum.

Sorry!

akula65 wrote:

Eidos published in various parts of the world, so you might see if you have a CD-ROM intended for some other part of the world. I have attached a photo of my U.S. version CD-ROM for comparison. I don't see any serial number or ID on the disk.

I think I have the U.K. copy of the game...Would that matter?

Reply 6 of 7, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nick_Arrow wrote:
LOL! […]
Show full quote
Errius wrote:

I had the books if that's any help 😊

🤣!

collector wrote:

Wrong forum.

Sorry!

akula65 wrote:

I think I have the U.K. copy of the game...Would that matter?

Unfortunately I doesn't seems that the game want to install on my computer. Could this game only be installed properly on a windows 95 computer?

Reply 7 of 7, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I copied the games file from the CD on my Windows 7 computer, then put the game folder on a USB then to the Windows 98SE computer. I extracted the game in Windows 98 and then it worked somehow...I can play it but there is NO music at all. How come the music is off? The music can be heard in the options menu?