VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 652, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GLQuake should work on NT4, i mean it was developed on NT4 with NT-only GL supporting pro-workstation 3d hardware in the first place and NT4 had OpenGL support out of the box....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 423 of 652, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To all Rendition Vérité fans

C1iov7S.jpg

can be used as custom case badge for eg.

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 424 of 652, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 4MB Stealth II S220 myself. Oddly enough the Rendition reference driver I have installed reports it as a V2200. I am not sure if it is because it has the latest/last v1.36 BIOS or something is different about the card. In any case, I *love* this card. It is the only card I own out of maybe a dozen PCI cards (S3's, 3D blaster, Savage4. and some others) that can handle some games odd frequencies and resolutions (like DOS Cannon Fodder) and the picture is so much better on it when using an LED display than any of my other cards for some reason.

Also, the claim of DOS FPS games running terrible is not true. Doom and Doom II run fine for me with this card. Admittedly they run smoother with other cards, but it is not bad at all and certainly not as bad as people make it out to be.

Yeah, the Rendition cards are really fantastic. Too bad they are so rare (except maybe the S220 that is). I recommend picking one up if you do not have one already. You will not be disappointed.

Reply 425 of 652, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eightbit wrote:

I have a 4MB Stealth II S220 myself. Oddly enough the Rendition reference driver I have installed reports it as a V2200. I am not sure if it is because it has the latest/last v1.36 BIOS or something is different about the card.

I remember the S220 being reported as a V2200 way back when it was new. I think that the V2200 and V2100 were really just the same chip and the ones that didn't reliably pass tests at the clock speed required for V2200 labeling got labeled as V2100 and shipped off to Diamond for the S220. In fact, I think that the S220 might've been the only major V2100 card produced (at least for NA markets). I guess that Diamond was the only manufacturer willing to take the risk on the reject chips. They then overclocked the chips, I believe, so that they were reported as V2200 in the drivers, and named the card the S220 (which makes you think that it has the V2200 in it). Regardless, I remember being thrilled thinking that I essentially got a V2200 for only $99. That was $50 cheaper than my previous card, the state of the art Intergraph Reactor (V1000), and more powerful. I believe that actual V2200 cards were overclocked, as well, so they were still faster than the S220, but you simply couldn't beat the value of the S220.

Reply 426 of 652, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to these postings in the VOGONS Driver Library thread
VOGONS Driver Library
Re: VOGONS Driver Library
a Rendition V1000 card by ExpertColor should exist, model number is VR1040.
I can't find anything about this card, though, so maybe it wasn't actually produced.

Reply 427 of 652, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have the original CDs that came with the Canopus Total3D Verite? I picked up one of these cards recently and I've been playing with it. I also managed to find a pair of 3D shutter glasses that are (apparently) the same as the ones that Canopus bundled with the card, but I'm not sure where to find the games that actually work with this card in stereo 3D.

Also, I have an odd problem with the card. When I start Windows 98SE with the command prompt or restart in DOS mode, everything looks normal but the bottom line of text (the line I type on) will be invisible once the screen has had to scroll at least one line. When I type there is nothing there, but hitting enter shifts everything up a line and I can see the command I typed, but the new prompt is still invisible. It isn't a screen alignment issue. There is plenty of space, and it shows the last line as long as the screen hasn't had to scroll yet. But once I hit enter and it scrolls all of the lines up, the last line is now invisible and I can't see what I'm typing. What would cause this? Its very strange.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 428 of 652, by fabiensanglard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am writing an article about VQuake and the Rendition Verite. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to generate screenshots (or even better, a video). Is anybody on this thread able to post 640x480 screenshots (the best to compare would be a video like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVOVwHKgrG0).

Reply 429 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fabiensanglard wrote:

I am writing an article about VQuake and the Rendition Verite. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to generate screenshots (or even better, a video). Is anybody on this thread able to post 640x480 screenshots (the best to compare would be a video like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVOVwHKgrG0).

I have screens of VQuake on V1000. They are 768x576 which is the highest resolution that can be rendered.

I also have some V1000 videos on YouTube but no longer have the source files for them.

These have the edge anti-aliasing enabled and you can see it missing edges that intersect polys. Particularly the last one with the dead monster.

Attachments

• Quake16.jpg
    Filename
    Quake16.jpg
    File size
    152.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Quake15.jpg
    Filename
    Quake15.jpg
    File size
    145.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Quake13.jpg
    Filename
    Quake13.jpg
    File size
    110.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Quake10.jpg
    Filename
    Quake10.jpg
    File size
    136.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Quake04.jpg
    Filename
    Quake04.jpg
    File size
    141.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Quake02.jpg
    Filename
    Quake02.jpg
    File size
    104.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 430 of 652, by fabiensanglard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is awesome. I assume you give me permission to use the images (the last one is especially interesting because of the monster)?

1/ Is it part of a demo1, demo2, or demo3? If it is I can try to find the same frame and overlay with software renderer and GLrenderer.
2/ The V1000 card images from the first page are dead links. Anybody has a backup?

Reply 431 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fabiensanglard wrote:

This is awesome. I assume you give me permission to use the images (the last one is especially interesting because of the monster)?

1/ Is it part of a demo1, demo2, or demo3? If it is I can try to find the same frame and overlay with software renderer and GLrenderer.
2/ The V1000 card images from the first page are dead links. Anybody has a backup?

I don't remember if they are from a demo but it's likely. Here is a shot of the Sierra Screamin' 3D.

Yup you have permission to use the images.

Attachments

• IMG_4970.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4970.JPG
    File size
    916.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 434 of 652, by fabiensanglard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found one of the frame from demo3. They align perfectly, however the V1000 looks greenish and I don't think it comes from the gamma correction.

file.php?id=60897&mode=view

1/ Any idea why the Verite colors are more green? Maybe it happend during the conversion PCX to JPG?
2/ I see HUD messages ("you got the shells" and so on). Are they disabled in vQuake, I cannot find the option to disable them? EDIT: I commented Con_DrawNotify () and recompiled so they are gone . now 😜.

Attachments

• Quake13_software.png
    Filename
    Quake13_software.png
    File size
    511.65 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 435 of 652, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Not sure if this is related, but if you run Descent 2 on a V2x00, the game is much purpler compared to software (the D2Verite port was designed for the V1000). Could be some color balance changes between the two chips, with the V1000 skewing green & the V2x00 skewing purple (green being the "opposite" of purple.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 436 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know why they are green so I decided to make new screenshots. These are from a fresh CD install of Quake 1.06 with vQuake "1.08b1". Run in DOS. Only settings changed were resolution, set max screen size, and "r_antialias 7" (edge and particle AA). I ran it on the MSI K7N420 nForce board I've been playing with lately. Fortunately I have a HDD with DOS set up so I was up and running quickly.

vQuake outputs 24-bit bitmaps.

New vQuake screens and some other screens I made years ago. Lossless PNG format. The original BMPs are in the folder in a 7z file.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/2z0yr501x6mtg … Rendition_V1000

Here is also a VGA capture I have on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYXF_VhAhlI

Attachments

• QUAKE08.png
    Filename
    QUAKE08.png
    File size
    346.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    no more green
    File license

Reply 437 of 652, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fabien Sanglard takes on VQuake and the Rendition Vérité (published 04/01/2019)
http://fabiensanglard.net/vquake/index.html

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto