VOGONS

First post, by boratintheuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a little Pentium box running Windows 95 with built in Ethernet, connected to my network. It only has a 3 1/2 inch drive and no CD-ROM, so getting larger software on it is a pain. The IDE bus accepts only one drive and the sole ISA slot is occupied by a sound card. It is connected to the internet and It has Internet Explorer 2 but that software is pretty much incapable of opening any website whatsoever. I'd like to transfer files to it somehow, be it over LAN from my modern Windows 10 machine or over the internet. Any help would be appropriated.

Anyone curious the machine is a UNISYS CWD-5001

Reply 1 of 32, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure that on your Windows 95 and modern Windows 10 machines have the same usernames and passwords. Also, on Windows 10, it'll have a hard time contacting the Windows 95 machine for some odd reason. Make sure you enable the file sharing on Windows 95, create a new folder, and share it as full access.

For me, I use my Windows 7 laptop or my XP machines to copy files to my Windows 9x machines that are on the network at home, or my Windows 10 desktop as my Windows 10 laptop refuses to connect to the Windows 9x machines for no reason. For peer-to-peer connections, such as connecting the Windows 95 machine to the Windows 10 machine, you would need either a crossover cable or a switch to hook up the machines and setup the Windows 10 machine with an IP address and Windows 95 with the IP address and the gateway with the IP address from the Windows 10 machine.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 98 PC suddenly stopped appearing in the Network on my main (Windows 7) PC

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 32, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't think of that. Good idea for using FTP. I might set up a NAS system sometime with FTP so I can copy files to the server and copy from the server to the client machine.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 5 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, just use FTP.. Or punch cards.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 32, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no need of FTP.
I connect all my machine from 286 upwards and macs from lc475 upwards to my NAS in order to transfer files.
In plain Dos I use the MSClinet30 (TCP/IP) and TCP/IP is installed within W3x/9x and AppleTalk for the macs.

I use my unisys 486 too. Here is what I have connected it to:

UNISYS-CWD486
- Serial1 => AMIGA2000 AmigaExplorer
- Serial2 => Tandy1000 (via interlink/interserv)
- Paralel => Switchbox 1. Covox 2. Commodore 1541 XA-Cable 3. ZipDrive 4. LPT to MegaSTE
- ESS-Soundcard => Midi => MT-32/CM32L/SC55
- LAN Onboard => NAS 8TB

The Unisys can boot into:
- MSDOS Win1x2x3x/Gem/Geos etc.
- WIN95A
- WARP3
- NT351

You see I can transfer to nearly every machine on my setup with this little beast.

One thing does indeed not work, because of the small cpu and small lan power.
I can not use it to create floppys for my older retro-machines with the software from bu22.
It's far too slow to browse through the game-disks with the screenshots.
Using a hosted website on my NAS is also way too slow for that purpose.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157683681646872

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2019-04-03, 15:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 10 of 32, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One interesting thing to point out.
I use an old firmware for my NAS because synology changed the lanman to only accept passwords to be sent crypted.
If I upgrade to the newer firmware I can no longer connect via lanman and tcpip.
In that case and perhaps with a newer OS like Win7, I think then you are better with a ftp program.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 11 of 32, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Dr.Zeissler: In order to connect to Synology with SMB and a crypted password, you need to follow this approach:
Re: Adding my 486 to my Network

If you come across this screen ("No permission to access resource") upon writing from Win9x to another ressource, you can try to install the NTLM 2 authentication for Windows 9x/NT (DSclient.exe).
Follow this approach: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl … k-zugreifen.htm

(The "SMB1" option has to be enabled in the Synology NAS of course)

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 12 of 32, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A USB PCI card might be an option. You could use XUSBSUPP to get the USB mass storage drivers on Windows 95.

Alternatively, yes, an FTP server is great.

Or - if you want to use MS-compatible network shares, I know that modern Linux with Samba can create and use Win9x-compatible shares, but modern MacOS or Windows 10 has trouble.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 13 of 32, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

I know that modern Linux with Samba can create and use Win9x-compatible shares

This is exactly what I do. I find it to be especially ideal with Win 95/98 machines using something like a 3Com 3C509 network card which doesn't require any additional drivers after a base Windows install. This allows me to immediately mount the Samba drive in Win 95/98 to grab the rest of the drivers and software I want to install, no mucking about with any configs or USB, CDs, CF cards, etc, etc.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 14 of 32, by boratintheuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't even consider FTP!!

I just setup a little server with Filezilla and was able to access it over the network with ftp.exe on the Windows 95 machine. Thanks for the tips guys.

Reply 15 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also works fine & very easily under dos, look for the mTCP suite. Even something as old as an XT (or indeed PC Jr 😉 ) will happily share files with your server.

Reply 17 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Webservers are apparently very easy to implement. I wouldn't be surprised if someone will made one for the i4040 someday.
Here's an old link to the PICserver, running of a very old PIC controller chip.^^
https://web.archive.org/web/20000611144629/ht … wpic/source.htm

Attachments

• Filename
    picserv1.zip
    File size
    119.24 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File comment
    another pic server (?)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, you're right - that's one important part of it. I hope boratintheuk gets it working and wish him good luck! 😀
If not, he can try the the other solutions the other nice Vogons users mentioned before.
In either case, let's don't desperate. We're are / he is not lone with that issue. Lot's of people have and had it before.

Btw, there are two more ideas that come to mind. He can use a Virtual Machine with an older copy of Windows
(WfW 3.11, Win 2k etc) with networking & folder sharing enabled. This will act as a bridge between old an new.
Or simple get an old or cheap Raspberry Pi and let it be the server for the vintage network.
Since it usually is Linux or RISC OS based, there are less security issues, too. 😀

Edit: Small edits. Sorry, I'm a bit sleepy, hah. 😅
Edit: A few more.
Edit: Here's a link to an issue (#80) of Raspberry PI magazine.
On Page 44, there's a tutorial that teaches how to build a Samba/CIFS file server..

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-04-11, 05:27. Edited 1 time in total.

//My video channel//