VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says. 5.2.x is the last build to support 32-bit OSes. There are no specific system requirements listed, although forum scuttlebutt mentions XP support is "unofficial, but should work." I've found a few people posting claiming to have it running, but no specifics.

I'm getting this error:

11-vbox-cert-error-cropped.png
Filename
11-vbox-cert-error-cropped.png
File size
13.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^^ this happens when I try to launch the Vbox frontend, not when I have the frontend open & try to start a VM like some sites on the web suggest. I can't even get that far obviously.

Apparently this happens even on the "officially-supporting-XP" 4.x branch after a certain version, as well as 5.x.

I've found a couple postings that purport to offer a solution to this, neither of them worked. Firstly, "Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Signing > Ignore" didn't solve it (even after reinstalling Vbox) although it did stop the installer from throwing me like 50 warnings about Windows Logo certification for Vbox's network drivers.

Secondly, I read this page and ran through the steps there (which involved installing the .NET Framework 1.1 and the SDK separately, not just the SDK as the site suggests.)

setreg.png
Filename
setreg.png
File size
18.73 KiB
Views
File license

For the record, I only vaguely understand what any of the settings of SetReg do, so I tried messing around with all of them, including cloning the author of that article's. Nothing worked.

I did remove, reboot, and reinstall Vbox (multiple times) after tweaking the above settings.

I'm running a fairly fresh install of XP32 SP3 Enterprise off an original CD, with a few extra packs (various .NET frameworks, Visual C redistributables, DirectX, etc.) installed. Do I need to run Windows Update to get some new certificates or something?

Tearing my hair out here. Any help is appreciated.

Note: I'm trying to install VirtualBox on a Windows XP host system, not install an XP VM as a guest under VirtualBox. Just to clarify.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have 5.1.2 installed on XP x86, I believe.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ nice to know it's at least doable... do you have recent Windows Updates installed?

This machine's not on the network (yet) but I downloaded the last DVD update package from MS (8 April 2014). I'm going to install that when I get home and see if it adds the appropriate certificate verification.

Incidentally last night I tried downgrading from 5.2.26 to 5.0.40, which is known to work on XP but same result.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming it's a cert issue then you can try the POS updates and/or there's a thread on MSFN where someone maintains a program to update the certs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

^^ nice to know it's at least doable... do you have recent Windows Updates installed?

Just checked, 5.1.2 works on our family's (my father's) old office PC. It's configured for dual-boot (XP/7) and
the XP installation was last changed/updated somewhen before 2014 or so (has Firefox 52 ESR).

Attachments

• vb512_xpsp3.png
    Filename
    vb512_xpsp3.png
    File size
    187.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've upgraded to 5.2.26 and it seems to run, too.
Since the HDD has little space, I can only test small OSes right now.
The VirtualBox Extensions installed just fine, even though I can't really test them now.

Attachments

• vb5226_xpsp3.png
    Filename
    vb5226_xpsp3.png
    File size
    189.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also checked v6, but it seems to nolonger support pure x86.

Attachments

• vbox_error_32bit.gif
    Filename
    vbox_error_32bit.gif
    File size
    7.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The picture is already clear, but here is another observation:
VirtualBox 5.2.22 Set-up on a Windows XP SP3 POSready system; No problems hosting these OS'es: ReactOS, Windows 95, Windows NT 4.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys! Glad this is turning into another one of those "xjas has bullshit problems that nobody else does" threads. 😜

The DVD update ISOs from Microsoft turned out to be a pain in the butt (you have to download all of them sequentially from the dawn of time, rather than just the most recent one, and install all the updates manually), so I put the PC on the network and tried to run Windows Update. Well, it turns out vanilla XP with IE6 can't even use Windows Update anymore. It needs to be updated before you can update it. Fffffffuuuuuuuu... You need to download & install IE7 and a "Windows Update User Agent" manually from Microsoft, then Windows Update will work. What fun.

Anyway after MUCH faffing around:

windows update 4.png
Filename
windows update 4.png
File size
161.86 KiB
Views
File license

I'm grabbing all the non-POSReady updates and will see if that fixes Vbox before I do the POSReady mod. I was writing up a tutorial & would like to see if it works on Vanilla XP first.

For anyone else having this problem & wants the 'easy option', it looks like Vbox 4.3.12 was the last version before it got a "security hardening" that needs a bunch of updated cert verifications. I probably should have just used that version & gotten on with it.

Reply 10 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Allright, finally got it going. Thanks all!

15-vbox-running-finally.jpg
Filename
15-vbox-running-finally.jpg
File size
286.8 KiB
Views
File license

You don't need the POSReady updates, just the regular Windows XP ones. There's probably like one specific update in there that fixes the cert problem, but I don't feel like going through them all trying to find it. If you're running Windows Update anyway, may as well grab them all.

Jo22 wrote:

I also checked v6, but it seems to nolonger support pure x86.

The end of 32-bit host support is a bit of a shame, but honestly, I can't think of anything you'd want to do on an XP host machine that 5.2.x can't do. The 5.2 branch is still being co-developed and updated until 2021 IIRC.

Reply 11 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

The 5.2 branch is still being co-developed and updated until 2021 IIRC.

Good news! I did not expect that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working! 😀

By coincidence, I also had the -uhm- "joy" of experimenting with VBox this weekend.
I tried to get PC-MOS/386 and other alternate DOSes running on the Mac port (v4) of VirtualBox.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as I thought. For some reason, they worked on the Windows port just fine,
but refused to boot from the very same HDD image on the Mac version (floppy boot okay).

I thought it was because of differences in the LBA or VHD implementation,
however that wasn't the case, since even a manual installation with newly created HDD images failed.

MS-DOS 6.2 worked just fine, however. I assume the "bug" is either in the Mac port or the behavior is related to the
different host processors (Mac=Core2Duo, PC=Athlon 64 x2 w/ AMD-V enabled).. Anyway, these are just my 2 cents.

xjas wrote:

TFor anyone else having this problem & wants the 'easy option', it looks like Vbox 4.3.12 was the last version before it got a "security hardening" that needs a bunch of updated cert verifications. I probably should have just used that version & gotten on with it.

Can't disagree here. I used version 4 for quite a long time (~8 years ago ?). It already worked well with most VMs, including games on XP with the 2D and experimental 3D graphics drivers.
That being said, the late v3 wasn't bad, either. Interestingly, version 4.1 (~prior to v4.1.24) seems also to be the last one to support Snow Leopard as a host OS, as well,
which makes me think the developers changed something vital along the road.

gerwin wrote:
xjas wrote:

The 5.2 branch is still being co-developed and updated until 2021 IIRC.

Good news! I did not expect that.

Yay! 😀 I already hoped that line would last for a little longer..
Perhaps I just missed something, but version 6 seems to miss support for other languages at this point.

Attachments

• vbox seamless 2.jpg
    Filename
    vbox seamless 2.jpg
    File size
    486.06 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    XP on XP (seamless), VirtualBox 4.x
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh well, I WAS writing a tutorial on how to get Dr*pbox working on XP (& OS/X <=10.9), via a headless Linux VM that auto-logs in and syncs to shared network folders on the host machine, but today I got SUCH a big F.U. from Dr^pb0x in my email that I've decided not to bother with them anymore. I guess I'll throw that out to the group as an idea that 'should' work but I haven't sussed out all the details.