VOGONS

How good does Operation flashpoint : Cold war crisis run with a AMD K6-2 and a Voodoo 3?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I would like to ask this for curiosity.

I am interested on playing the game "Operation Flashpoint' (which was like "Call of duty" back in 2001) on a old DOS Windows 3.1 upgraded to Windows 95 computer I had back in 1994 to 1995 with improved hardware and processor from 1999 and 2000 to 2001. Like a voodoo 3 and a AMD K6-2+ on a socket 7.

You know like, what would happen if you put a AMD K6-2+ which is a super socket 7 (Which was the term for it) over a socket 7? And how fast would it be with the voodoo 3?

Reply 1 of 6, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It may be a bit of a stretch running that game on those specs. The system requirements on game debate call for a PIII or Athlon MP processor. It also says it requires a direct x 8 compatible GPU, so I'm not sure that the Voodoo 3 will be compatible. From what I have found, this game would definitely be better run on XP-era hardware.

Reply 3 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the pinned topic in this forum: "This forum is for running old Windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows" Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your specs would be super slow for OPF, but will "work". For a better experience though:

If you insist on a 3dfx card with Glide then Voodoo 5500 with something like AMD Athlon XP CPU and for example Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card for EAX would be better.

If not, then Windows XP with EAX sound card and a more modern CPU/GPU will give you the overall best experience and a lot cheaper these days. Plus, on WinXP you can install advanced game enhancing applications such as Nvidia Inspector, DisplayCAL or newer builds of the Rivatuner Statistics Server with Scanline Sync (which will probably not work in OFP) and what not.

Most games from Bohemia Interactive are a bitch on the CPU, still cant max out Arma 2 (2009) with the best hardware of today (would yield maybe 20FPS). For their games aim for CPUs with faster clocks rather than more cores, but if you want "best" aim for both of course.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please do not troll us. You are having PCem problems so please do state this and ask in the appropriate forum and without leaving that fact out.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper