VOGONS

First post, by pullasuti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings. New user, old nerd asking for id help.

A midi card caught my eye, and had to pick it up. Would be interesting to know what this was called back in the day. Has the 4110/4111 and 9203 set of chips, among others. Couldn't get it to work with a SB 2.0, even though no resource conflict should be going on. Works fine on its own, thought

crystal.jpg
Filename
crystal.jpg
File size
831.22 KiB
Views
File comment
Crystal
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Next up, help me fix my dead CT3900 😀

Reply 2 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet looking card

Is there anything on the back of the card? Maybe an FCC ID?

Could be a prototype card if there isn't.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card does only MIDI, there's no SB or WSS compatibility on it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 24, by pullasuti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know, that's why I called it a midi card 😀

The back doesn't reveal much, but it does have a serial number, so it's not alone.

crystal_back.jpg
Filename
crystal_back.jpg
File size
762.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Buttside
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's cool! I'm going to go ahead and call it "Crystal SCC1"

Have you tried it? I'm wondering if it's an MPU-401 or if you need special drivers.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look at that S/N 153437 - where are those other 150,000 cards!!!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 24, by pullasuti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

That's cool! I'm going to go ahead and call it "Crystal SCC1"

Have you tried it? I'm wondering if it's an MPU-401 or if you need special drivers.

Yes, works without drivers. Thank goodness 😀

Reply 8 of 24, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Extremely cool and obscure card. I suspect it collides with the MPU interface of the Sound Blaster? Can you disable that? The older ones at least have a disable MPU jumper.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9 of 24, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was somewhat confused by 'MIDI card'.
I suppose you mean it contains a wavetable synthesizer, and I assume it would be compatible with the (dumb) MPU-401 interface.
It seems like this uses components commonly found on WaveBlaster boards (Dream MIDI synthesizer and effects processor), such as the Terratec WaveSystem.
However, the fact that it has 3 jacks seems to imply that it also has audio input capability.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 10 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:
I was somewhat confused by 'MIDI card'. I suppose you mean it contains a wavetable synthesizer, and I assume it would be compati […]
Show full quote

I suppose you mean it contains a wavetable synthesizer, and I assume it would be compatible with the (dumb) MPU-401 interface.
It seems like this uses components commonly found on WaveBlaster boards (Dream MIDI synthesizer and effects processor), such as the Terratec WaveSystem.
However, the fact that it has 3 jacks seems to imply that it also has audio input capability.

My understanding is that it has a hardware mixer so you can input audio from a regular soundcard, mix with the wavetable music and output as a mixed audio.

Very, very cool card!

Reply 11 of 24, by pullasuti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:

Extremely cool and obscure card. I suspect it collides with the MPU interface of the Sound Blaster? Can you disable that? The older ones at least have a disable MPU jumper.

Ah, could be. Though I did try different addresses for the card itself, but could see what happens if I set the SB 2.0 to disable "game port".

appiah4 wrote:
Scali wrote:
I was somewhat confused by 'MIDI card'. I suppose you mean it contains a wavetable synthesizer, and I assume it would be compati […]
Show full quote

My understanding is that it has a hardware mixer so you can input audio from a regular soundcard, mix with the wavetable music and output as a mixed audio.

Very, very cool card!

Yes, the card has line in, line out and spk out. Very loud by default, and somewhat noisy. Don't know if there has been software to control these.

Reply 13 of 24, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pullasuti wrote:

Yes, the card has line in, line out and spk out. Very loud by default, and somewhat noisy. Don't know if there has been software to control these.

I would expect that there are SysEx commands to control this, if it can be controlled at all.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 14 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pullasuti wrote:

You definitely need some kind of software driver for that I would think.

Reply 15 of 24, by pullasuti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

interesting card, how does it sound?

I suppose it's OK. Did some quick recordings, because this system was originally for FM/MT-32 era, and didn't have that many SC/GM games. Others seem fine, but the intro to UFO/XCOM is completely messed (could be because I just threw versions 1.2 and 1.4 over the original). Should record the same tracks with SB16 and a Dream waveblaster board when have more time.

Sounds of dossy music (Doom, Doom 2, Dune 2, Hand of Fate, Raptor, Sam & Max, UFO).

Reply 17 of 24, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could this be an Orchid card? I see similarities between this card and this one: members.home.nl/c.kersten/WaveBlaster%2 ... 03-17).png
A predecessor to the Orchid GameWave 32 perhaps?

Last edited by CHiLL72 on 2019-04-14, 12:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 18 of 24, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Sounds great to me, nice find.

Gah, now I want to play Dune2 again 😒

I agree with both these statements.
It really does sound great and well balanced.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 19 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CHiLL72 wrote:

Could this be an Orchid card? I see similarities between this card and this one: members.home.nl/c.kersten/WaveBlaster%2 ... 03-17).png
A predecessor to the Orchid GameWave 32 perhaps?

Fixed your link for you.

Very interesting. If it were Orchid, I would think that it would have it silk screened on the card though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK