VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

Thanks, which brand is your card?

I am fairly sure it is a Sapphire X800XT PE. It looks exactly like this card.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16814102398

y45TJhAH_t.jpeg Ybjr88MS_t.jpeg

Reply 21 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

BTW for which OSes are using these cards X8xx cards, Win7 is unsupported if im not wrong, so only Windows 98 and XP options are left. I would say that at least for older XP games its too slow.. so are using it for Win98?
In other thread some people said that Win98 compatibility of these cards sucks, especially in OpenGL im not sure about that..

You could run Win7. You would use Vista drivers. Windows Update may have a driver as well. Radeon 9500 is the first that can run Aero.

I use it with XP.

ATI's OpenGL varies wildly in quality back then. You sometimes have to experiment to find a driver release that works well with your particular OpenGL game. Bioware games are trouble for example. It is a matter of NVidia being better at OpenGL support, and better at developer relations. Especially back then.

I'm not sure about overall Win98 problems. I really haven't used X800 series cards much with 98SE.

Reply 22 of 28, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

BTW for which OSes are using these cards X8xx cards, Win7 is unsupported if im not wrong, so only Windows 98 and XP options are left. I would say that at least for older XP games its too slow.. so are using it for Win98?
In other thread some people said that Win98 compatibility of these cards sucks, especially in OpenGL im not sure about that..

I never got Windows 9x working on the X800XL even though the driver did detect and install, but Windows 9x isn't very friendly to newer hardware. The cards run fine on Vista/7 since they have WDDM 1.0 drivers. The drivers work with limitation on 8/10, you have to disable fast startup as the machine will boot with a black screen instead of the desktop if its on. You also have to turn off any sleep functions due to the same problem. 10 1803 actually fixed this problem, but it broke again with 1809.

Reply 23 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For at least Pci-e version is booting fine to Win98, even cds are Win98 drivers, but never had enough time to test lots of games, games which i tested worked fine.. but they are usual suspects, nothing too picky.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 24 of 28, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
ruthan wrote:

You could run Win7. You would use Vista drivers. Windows Update may have a driver as well. Radeon 9500 is the first that can run Aero.

yes the Vista drivers work on 7, and at least for my laptop with X300 based IGP windows update gave me a driver also, but they are WDDM 1.0 which is not ideal for Windows 7 Aero, it will have higher CPU usage for desktop window manager and use more vram,
wddm 1.1 is a must for 7 Aero, and even more for 8+,
only DX10 cards got WDDM 1.1 drivers AFAIK

these cards make more sense for XP.

Reply 25 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPBHM wrote:
yes the Vista drivers work on 7, and at least for my laptop with X300 based IGP windows update gave me a driver also, but they a […]
Show full quote

yes the Vista drivers work on 7, and at least for my laptop with X300 based IGP windows update gave me a driver also, but they are WDDM 1.0 which is not ideal for Windows 7 Aero, it will have higher CPU usage for desktop window manager and use more vram,
wddm 1.1 is a must for 7 Aero, and even more for 8+,
only DX10 cards got WDDM 1.1 drivers AFAIK

these cards make more sense for XP.

Yeah that's true. I wasn't suggesting it would be ideal. It seems to work pretty well though. I used to have an Athlon 64 notebook with a 64MB Radeon 9600. It ran Win7/8 quite well. This actually seemed smoother than XP GDI in some cases. VIA chipsets sometimes cause somewhat poor GDI performance.

Reply 26 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about X800 in Dos, from my experience and testing is faster and more compatible that Nvidia cards, its also better than Voodoo3 /S3 cards. Probably only some Matrox cards can be more compatible..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 27 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested GB X800 with direct DVI connection its working fine with Dell 2007 monitor, but not with HP 24 LCD and not with Hdmiswitch + Dell monitor. Could that DVI emulator with passthrough solution for that? Newer cards are with HP monitor and hdmi switch working fine, even Geforce 5/6/7 i dunno what is so special on X300 - x800 DVI implementation..

Reply 28 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bough EDID DVI emulator with passthrough with it Radeon X700 is giving signal even on HP monitor.