VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this ESS Edison Gold 16 sound card and it has an IDE interface on it and I'd like to connect a CDROM drive to it. It has support for Panasonic, Mitsumi and Sony drives. I have a Sony drive but not with the 34 pin interface as on this card, just a normal 40 pin IDE version. I also have a Philips drive. Both my Sony and Philips drives are from around 2003 to 2007-ish, so they're quite new as I'm trying to get CDROM working on my 286.

My multi-IO controller has the standard IDE, Floppy, COM ports etc. It's of a no-name Chinese brand. I've been using it for a while and it seems to work just fine. It has a bunch of jumpers on that I haven't touched since I got it. There might be a conflict with this card but I can't tell for sure. I did try another multi-IO card and I have the same results.

So, I'm basically like to do a bit of a sanity check to get the IDE on the ESS card to work for my CDROM drive. There is quite some information printed on the card itself (see picture) which I think is great.

I'm going for the "IDE CD-ROM" set up since I don't have any of the proprietary drives.

JP1: Don't know what its for.
JP2: Don't know what its for.

Sound set up:

JP9: Base port set to 220h
JP11: DMA set to 1
JP10: IRQ set to 5

Sound works great with this card! So no issues there...

JP5: (difficult to see in the picture but its the 8 pin layout to the right of JP4). The top row is pin: 1,3,5,7 the bottom row is pin 2,4,6,8.
pin 1-2 enabled (i.e. enable CD-ROM).
pin 3-4 disabled (can't seem to select a non-brand).
pin 5-6 enabled (i.e. IDE CD-ROM).
pin 7-8 disabled (i.e. use as secondary IDE).

JP3: (difficult to spot in the picture but JP2 is a 3 pin horizontal row, JP3 sits underneath that).
pin 2-3 enabled (IRQ15, secondary IDE).

JP4: (not sure what a CD-ROM port is)
defaulting to 800h.

JP12: disabled (no game port).

So, with these settings and using either my Sony or Philips drive, when loading my CDROM driver (the one I've used successfully on other systems with both drives), I get the message:

No drives found, aborting install.

I'd love to find the manual for this card and figure out what JP1 & JP2 are for but any insight and/or ideas on what I might be doing wrong would be much appreciated.

vpqnxTa.jpg

Last edited by pan069 on 2019-04-14, 06:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm. I thought, maybe JP5 pins 1-2 and 3-4 are a combo, as in, 1-2 select to enable one of the proprietary drives and then pin 3-4 select which one leaving pins 5-6 to enable IDE. So, you'd either enable 1-2 or 5-6 but not both.

Unfortunately, no juice...

I have tried 3 different multi-IO cards by now. I don't think there is a conflict.

My CDROM drive is set to Master (as in secondary master IDE).

I'm loading the OAK CDROM driver in my config.sys. I have used this driver over many years and a variety of systems and drives, always worked fine (this is my first time using it on a 286 though).

Reply 2 of 17, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably need a special ESS driver. Generic ATAPI drivers will never find the CD-ROM unless you run that first. In my case (I don't have experience with this exact card but I do have a setup like this working on a ES1868 based card) I need to run ES1868.COM from CONFIG.SYS to "enable" the CD-ROM interface before loading the CD-ROM driver and MSCDEX. It will be different for your card but probably similar. Everything you need should hopefully be in this package:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461&menustate=0

Reply 3 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I tried those drivers and they are for Windows (3.1x) only and the bits of DOS that's in there is for PnP configuration of the sound card, probably a later version of the card than I have. There are some other ESS drivers on Vogondrivers but none seem to apply (PnP) or work and/or include a CDROM driver.

I have no luck finding any non-PnP drivers or disks that belonged to this card whatsoever, not even a manual...

Starting to run out of ideas...

Reply 5 of 17, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use ctload on my vibra16, I can't remember but I think ess is not supported under ctload but here is the config I use anyway maybye will help

C:\<win95dir>\CTPNP
C:\<dir>\CTLOAD C:\<dir>\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /V /P:1E8,11,3EE
C:\<win95dir>\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V /M:8

Reply 7 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have successfully used (a different revision of) this card's IDE controller with nothing but normal ATAPI DOS drivers in the past. ES688 requires nothing special. Make sure you have no other secondary IDE controllers working in the system.

There are no jumpers for setting the DMA and IRQ on my 688, they are hardcoded to IRQ7 and DMA 1. Regardless, without a silk screen I can't see what JP6 JP7 and JP8 (IRQ, DACK, DRQ) are set at for the CD-ROM interface; they may be in conflict with the card itself (IRQ and DACK/DRQ should not be 5 and 1 if they are 5 and 1 for the sound card)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 17, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:

What's wrong with adding it as slave to your existing IO card? Unless you have two devices on it already, or it doesn't support ATAPI of course.

I second this, if it is possible. I had a 286 PC that had an IDE hard disk, and even with the very primitive IDE controller it had on it, it could still access the CD-ROM drive with the appropriate DOS drivers. I've found onboard IDE to be very temperamental on ISA sound cards in the past.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 9 of 17, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New idea:

pan069 wrote:

JP4: (not sure what a CD-ROM port is)
defaulting to 800h.

It's 300h default actually and it is possible that this port conflicts with something else in the system. I would try each of the other options (310h, 320h, 330h) to see if it does anything.

And what system exactly (brand/motherboard) is this? This is a shot in the dark really but 300h was reserved in the original PC spec so if it's an IBM BIOS or a very IBM-compatible clone then it might be that I/O port 300h is reserved and won't work. Here is a snip from the book "PC Hacks", page 185:

SQqArns.png

EDIT: also, have you tried jumpering away any and all IDE functionality from the multi I/O card, setting the sound card to primary IDE, and booting from a floppy? Just to make absolutely sure there is no conflict going on?

Reply 10 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

What's wrong with adding it as slave to your existing IO card? Unless you have two devices on it already, or it doesn't support ATAPI of course.

Cable doesn't reach... 🙁

My case is desktop style and the hard drive location is next to the CDROM drive, not underneath (or stacked for that matter)...

Reply 11 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

... I can't see what JP6 JP7 and JP8 (IRQ, DACK, DRQ) are set at for the CD-ROM interface; they may be in conflict with the card itself (IRQ and DACK/DRQ should not be 5 and 1 if they are 5 and 1 for the sound card)

I have no information on JP6, JP7 and JP8. The sound (digital/FM) seems to work fine so its not conflicting with that.

JP3, IDE IRQ, is set to IRQ15 (Secondary), see also JP5 pin 7-8 (disabled, i.e. secondary). If JP3 is the IDE IRQ and JP10 is the sound IRQ, what IRQ would JP6 be for then?

It's odd that this cards prints all info except for those jumpers...

Really wish I could find a manual for this card...

Reply 12 of 17, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote:

If JP3 is the IDE IRQ and JP10 is the sound IRQ, what IRQ would JP6 be for then?

Possibly IRQ for the Sony/Mitsumi/Panasonic interface, since the IDE CD-ROM jumpers are explicitely for IDE only.

Reply 13 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote:
I have no information on JP6, JP7 and JP8. The sound (digital/FM) seems to work fine so its not conflicting with that. […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

... I can't see what JP6 JP7 and JP8 (IRQ, DACK, DRQ) are set at for the CD-ROM interface; they may be in conflict with the card itself (IRQ and DACK/DRQ should not be 5 and 1 if they are 5 and 1 for the sound card)

I have no information on JP6, JP7 and JP8. The sound (digital/FM) seems to work fine so its not conflicting with that.

JP3, IDE IRQ, is set to IRQ15 (Secondary), see also JP5 pin 7-8 (disabled, i.e. secondary). If JP3 is the IDE IRQ and JP10 is the sound IRQ, what IRQ would JP6 be for then?

It's odd that this cards prints all info except for those jumpers...

Really wish I could find a manual for this card...

I can't see the picture of the card anymore, but I am certain the silk screen actually said JP6 is IRQ (for IDE) and JP7 and JP8 are DACK and DRQ (for IDE) respectively.

Here below is my own Gold-16 card, configured for IDE interface:

Edison_Gold_16_ES688_FC_DSP24_B.jpg

DACK 3, DRQ 3, IRQ 11

Reply 14 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@appiah4 Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've checked JP6, JP7 and JP8 and they are set exactly to your cards settings, JP6 = IRQ11, JP7 = DACK 3 and JP8 DRQ 3.

However, the silk screen also states: JP3 IDE IRQ when selecting pin 2-3 its set to IRQ15 (Secondary), which I have. What's the correlation between JP3 and JP6. Does the IDE and the CDROM each need their own IRQ?

Iv'e also changed the port to 320h. I can't seem to figure out (or see) what port your card is set to.

Also, do you happen to remember which driver you where using. I'm currently using the Oak one which has always worked for me in the past.

This is my board. An oldie, but a beauty (at least, I think so): https://i.imgur.com/ncqcsJz.jpg

Is there any bit of information I can give you?

You said you weren't able to see the card photo anymore, this is it: https://i.imgur.com/vpqnxTa.jpg

Reply 15 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote:
@appiah4 Thanks for the info, much appreciated. […]
Show full quote

@appiah4 Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've checked JP6, JP7 and JP8 and they are set exactly to your cards settings, JP6 = IRQ11, JP7 = DACK 3 and JP8 DRQ 3.

However, the silk screen also states: JP3 IDE IRQ when selecting pin 2-3 its set to IRQ15 (Secondary), which I have. What's the correlation between JP3 and JP6. Does the IDE and the CDROM each need their own IRQ?

Iv'e also changed the port to 320h. I can't seem to figure out (or see) what port your card is set to.

Also, do you happen to remember which driver you where using. I'm currently using the Oak one which has always worked for me in the past.

This is my board. An oldie, but a beauty (at least, I think so): https://i.imgur.com/ncqcsJz.jpg

Is there any bit of information I can give you?

You said you weren't able to see the card photo anymore, this is it: https://i.imgur.com/vpqnxTa.jpg

I uploaded the drivers I used to vogonsdrivers a while back, they also include the MPU401 TSR; do a search for edison 😀

Reply 16 of 17, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I uploaded the drivers I used to vogonsdrivers a while back, they also include the MPU401 TSR; do a search for edison 😀

Ah, OK. You mean these?

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1461

I already tried those. These appear to be for a PnP version of the card and the setup.exe is for Windows. The only DOS related bits on there appear for audio settings of a PnP version of this card.

Reply 17 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote:
konc wrote:

Cable doesn't reach... 🙁

My case is desktop style and the hard drive location is next to the CDROM drive, not underneath (or stacked for that matter)...

Oh I see, I had completely forgotten this case. We used to "solve" this sometimes by connecting the cable the other way around, plugging the furthest connector to the furthest device, but of course it's not always applicable. The two connectors close to each other need to reach the IO card and 1 device for this to work.