User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
w0lf42 wrote:
http://markschamel.com/pictures/diagram.soundblaster.2.png […]
Show full quote

diagram.soundblaster.2.png

By the way who wrote this tosh "125"? 😁 It's not 125, it's I2S!

And I want to ask. Do you really connect directly 40-pin MIDI OUTPUT and MU80 MIDI INPUT? Does this connection working? I always thought it's impossible but I see on your photos it really is exact. It means that 40-pin MIDI input and output are in current loop standard! Please confirm.

Reply 21 of 47, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way who wrote this tosh "125"? 😁 It's not 125, it's I2S!

That was me. Thanks for correcting me. I've updated my documentation (and this image).

Do you really connect directly 40-pin MIDI OUTPUT and MU80 MIDI INPUT?

Yes.

Though, I have not had any luck getting the 40-pin MIDI INPUT to accept signal. I'd really like to connect the MIDI OUTPUT on the Yamaha sound card to the MIDI INPUT on my Sound Blaster sound card.

For this to all come together, I've had to fabricate 5 cables/connectors. I believe that I could have purchased the 2 5-pin MIDI to 3.5 mm audio cables. But, at the time that I started this project, there was no standard/specification (but, there is now).

Reply 22 of 47, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
w0lf42 wrote:

Thanks for correcting me. I've updated my documentation (and this image).

OK. I'll show a few more wrong/incomplete points. Fix them please.
6) SPDIF2 INPUT
9) SPDIF3 OUTPUT
15) SPDIF1 INPUT
17) SPDIF0 OUTPUT
19) SPDIF1 OUTPUT
22) SPDIF2 OUTPUT
It's exact pinout and in DOS 0.49/1.01 mixers you meet exact these channels "names".

In Creative's Digital DIN connector there are outputs:
SPDIF0 - front
SPDIF1 - cen+bass
SPDIF3 - rear

SPDIF2 is reserved but working condition and you can redirect to it any channel(s) in pure DOS.

Reply 23 of 47, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OK. I'll show a few more wrong/incomplete points. Fix them please. 6) SPDIF2 INPUT 9) SPDIF3 OUTPUT 15) SPDIF1 INPUT 17) SPDIF0 […]
Show full quote

OK. I'll show a few more wrong/incomplete points. Fix them please.
6) SPDIF2 INPUT
9) SPDIF3 OUTPUT
15) SPDIF1 INPUT
17) SPDIF0 OUTPUT
19) SPDIF1 OUTPUT
22) SPDIF2 OUTPUT
It's exact pinout and in DOS 0.49/1.01 mixers you meet exact these channels "names".

Okay, this should be updated too. Thanks, again, for pointing out the errors.

Reply 25 of 47, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can create and have fabbed your own surface mount pcb. 10 pieces for $10. Then just solder all your connectors to it.

https://youtu.be/g4iiekExXak

Attachments

Reply 26 of 47, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is worth to create the maximum ultimate version or nothing. I.e. it must consist of all interfaces which present on 40-pin header. Including I2S. I mean I2S input converter ANALOG>I2S/SPDIF>I2S. And input switcher DIGIT/ANALOG. Such board will be better than Creative's Extension 5'25 module.

Reply 27 of 47, by Cosmonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, please if someone could help me with the flat cable from the X-Fi Platinum (the front panel to soundcard ribbon cable). I've lost mine, could I replace it with an 50 pin SCSI cable? Did anyone know something about it? Thanks in advance!

Reply 29 of 47, by Cosmonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
w0lf42 wrote:

IDE cable cant fit on the X-Fi because of the blocked pin.

The 50 pin SCSI has no blocked pin however. Do you think it will fit on the x-fi case (the front panel case i mean)?

Reply 31 of 47, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most IDE cables have a pin that's blocked. Older cables don't and can be used fine.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 33 of 47, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might be wrong here. But are we talking 40-pin versus 80-pin cables? Yes, the connector might be 40-pin for both, but the cables aren't both 40-pin.

I did a quick ebay search and each 40-pin cable does not have a blocked pin. But, all of the 80-pin cables do.

Reply 34 of 47, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

w0lf42, )))))))))))))) And you're wrong! 😜
https://bilder.tragant.de/produkte/orig/5110e … 66.01246684.jpg
Most of late 40-wires cables have a key too. I think Cosmonal just haven't found a cable without key.

Cosmonal, yes, 50-pin SCSI cable suits. But do it very carefully, don't make mistake. I mean a cable shift on 5'25 Ext connector relative to main card's connector.

Reply 36 of 47, by Cosmonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys. I've found an older IDE cable seller here in Brazil. Will try first with the SCSI cable (it's already on the way), if it doesn't fit I'll get and older IDE cable without the key. Thanks Parus and everyone else.

Reply 37 of 47, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

W0lf42, I want to give you some info. Probably it will be solution.
Take one resistor 1kOhm or 2kOhm and connect through it 23 pin "digital logical input #0" to +5V line. You can take 5V here too, first or second pin. Maybe you'll get usable MIDI input on 40-pin header. Maybe.