VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always liked Filemon from http://www.sysinternals.com when it comes to diagnosing problems with troublesome Windows programs - it can show exactly what files any Windows program is trying to access.

Obviously DOS is very different, but can something similar be done with DOSBox? Is this sort of functionality available in one of those debug-enabled versions of DOSBox I've heard about? (Where do you get one of those, anyway? It's not mentioned in the CVS thread.)

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't all DosBox file access sshown in the debug ver in the console window? if so then use that and use log= setting in dosbox.conf to redirect console output to a text file.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Like I said, where do I find a debug version? Do I have to compile it under Linux from the original sources? Is there no Win32 binary?

Reply 4 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

I see... Interesting.

There's no documentation for the debugger available, is there? Specifically, how do I interact with the debug window? r/f, up/down, and home/end don't seem to do anything. And can I log any of the various fields to a file?

Reply 5 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

U need to pause the emulation for r/f etc. to work

1+1=10

Reply 6 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

That's what I thought... But pressing CTRL+PAUSE in ykhwong's version doesn't seem to do anything. (I assume PAUSE is the key next to the Scroll Lock button?) Pressing CTRL+PAUSE after clicking in the debug window closes the program entirely.

Reply 7 of 11, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just Pause, no Ctrl.

Reply 8 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No, it should be ctrl-pause, but it seems to be broken on some systems
(windows only??).

Reply 9 of 11, by biouxtai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found no log= command for the config file anywhere. I even looked in the source and didn't see a place for it to be read in. How would this be used?

Reply 10 of 11, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as I know, Ctrl-Pause used to be broken in windows, so the hot key was changed to Alt-pause. By doing "config -writeconf dosbox.conf" on the dos prompt in debugger, you can get [log] section.

Guide to the DOSBox debugger

Reply 11 of 11, by biouxtai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet! I have been looking for this forever. The actual key is logfile=<filename> for <filename> I use output.txt as a test and it worked.

Saved me a major headache. Thanks again!