VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 620 of 1550, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote:

Yes, is too low... but this is caused by doublescan; with output=surfacepp it works fine, but with that you can use only scaler=none

i'll test it soon with a different display (a 2k display)

Ah, that makes sense then. However, since I don't use any scaler I tried switching to surfacepp and I still only get a 8:5 ratio on the dos prompt window.

Reply 621 of 1550, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In both fullscreen and borderless? I got that only in the first screen of DOSBox ECE

remember to set aspect=true

edit: i've tried to change resolution of fullscreen; it still scaling badly if i don't use scaler=none; with scaler=none i see a 320x200 scaled to a 1280x1000

Reply 622 of 1550, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using normal fullscreen (at desktop resolution) crashes DOSBox for me (with all versions I've tried), it could have something to do with the fact that I use two screens. That's one of the reasons I installed ECE so I could use fullborderless and it works fine.

Aspect is set to true, scaler is set to none with output set to surfacepp. The DOS prompt (640x400) is not aspect corrected and stays at 8:5. But, like I mentioned; games with a resolution of 320x200 gets correctly scaled to 1280x1000.

Reply 623 of 1550, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested with a 2k display and... still having this problem... all 320x200 games are scaling to a 8:5 resolution... this with openglpp (untested for now surfacepp)

it's caused by doublescan so it can't work properly with that feature enabled...

Reply 624 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For proper dosbox experience with 4:3 ratio and accurate pixel scaling:

output = opengl //Yes, it uses bilinear filtering which is important for accurate pixels, that's why "normal5x forced" is used.
fullresolution = 1440x1080 //Important for some games to retain 4:3 ratio, I use 1600x1200 on a 1200p monitor.
windowresolution = 640x480 //prevent window being huge with the "normal5x forced" setting.
aspect = true
scaler = normal5x forced //you can try x6 for monitors bigger than 1200p.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 625 of 1550, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:
For proper dosbox experience with 4:3 ratio and accurate pixel scaling: […]
Show full quote

For proper dosbox experience with 4:3 ratio and accurate pixel scaling:

output = opengl //Yes, it uses bilinear filtering which is important for accurate pixels, that's why "normal5x forced" is used.
fullresolution = 1440x1080 //Important for some games to retain 4:3 ratio, I use 1600x1200 on a 1200p monitor.
windowresolution = 640x480 //prevent window being huge with the "normal5x forced" setting.
aspect = true
scaler = normal5x forced //you can try x6 for monitors bigger than 1200p.

Thanks, I tried this:

output = opengl
fullborderless = true
windowresolution = desktop (1280x1080)
aspect = true
scaler = normal5x

I was worried the interpolated picture would be too blurry, hence why I opted to use the pixelperfect modes, but it actually looks really good and the advantage is that it'll always be an exact 4:3 ratio regardless of the games' native resolution. Works well enough for me.

Reply 626 of 1550, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why windowresolution?
Fullborderless is not exclusive mode and may interfere with windows (if on windows) desktop vsync.
Also, 1280x1080 native? never heard of one.
Also, the "forced" after normal5x is important for some modes that do not respect the scaler setting.

You basically did everything wrong. 🤣
If it works though, have fun.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 627 of 1550, by Issun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like I wrote earlier all DOSBox versions I've tried crashes if I use normal fullscreen (at desktop resolution), like I said; could be because I use two screens or something, that's why I use fullborderless. And it works fine.

I've must've been tired, I of course meant 1920x1080.

I didn't do everything wrong and yeah, this setup works for me.

Reply 628 of 1550, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
marzsyndrome wrote:

Might as well ask, Yesterplay... is there any chance you could add the datestamp/timestamp support into ECE in the future? Kinda like the original dates/times to be kept on files during extraction where it was allowed on original DOS. It was/is a positive feature of Daum for me as well as in DOSBox-X.

What would support for that bring? Do any games require or benefit from that?

First off, really sorry for taking over a year for me to respond to this! >.<

The timestamp support makes it more faithful to the behaviour of real DOS under which certain installation programs would preserve the original timestamps during the installation/copying process rather than lose all the information and replace it with (current day and time). From my recollection as well, I'm aware that, for one thing, the official Plutonium Pak patcher for Duke Nukem 3D v1.3d performs an additional timestamp check on the game files before deciding whether it'll update them or not.

Reply 629 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this thread, and I'm not sure if Dosbox ece is what I need or not. I've spent all day trying to get help and I don't feel like I made it any further.

I have a computer with Debian 8 on it. I have been using the "plain jane" dosbox version from the debian repositories. I installed the 32 bit version.

I play a game (grand prix 2) that runs about 20 percent too fast on the "plain jane" dosbox version .74. On the forum for this game people told me that this could be fixed with SVN DAUM. I posted about this because I couldn't get it to work. Someone told me DAUM is now dead and to switch to another SVN version. I was hoping this ECE version might work?

I tried to download it for linux, but I don't know how to get it to install. I typically struggle if it's not installed by "sudo apt-get install XXX".

If anyone can help me successfully get this game to run with no problems I will gladly gift you 50$ via paypal.

Reply 630 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE - I was able to get my game to work in windows 7 with ECE (and Daum) and they both have the correct timing (the game speed is perfect) but the steering wheel control is broken in both ECE and Daum.

With ECE I can't even find the location of the config file, so I can't mess with the joystick settings. (However I had the exact same problem with DAUM and trying to adjust "timing=true or false" didn't fix it. I have a logitech driving force gt wheel and pedal set.

I really want to get this working in Linux because my steering wheel and pedals work just fine there.

Willing to gift anyone who can make this work for me 50$ paypal.

Reply 631 of 1550, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the configfile should be in ~/.dosbox
you might want to experiment with the circularinput setting, as well as the joystick type.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 632 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

the configfile should be in ~/.dosbox
you might want to experiment with the circularinput setting, as well as the joystick type.

I could not get any of the linux versions to work so I tried installing an EXE of the ECE version in windows. It was the windows version I couldn't find the config file for (but I ended up finding it in my "appdata" folder.)

Strange things is, the "jittery" steering I was getting in the windows/ECE version magically solved itself! I tested it in windows without modifying any settings and for some reason it was gone. This allowed me to experiment further and find another problem. 😢 The brake pedal on my logitech driving force gt was not being recognized by dosbox. It worked fine in the logitech software (you can see windows understanding the pedal is being used.) Come to find out this is a known issue where the steering wheel has an axis (lets call this X), accelerator has an axis (lets call this Y) and the brake pedal has another (let's call this Z). Previously, using Linux with the "run of the mill" dosbox .74 it would treat my brake-pedal as a SECOND controller with only one axis (lets call this axis X on controller B). My driving game would work with the brake pedal because I told them to pay attention to controller B axis X for brake input. For some reason, in windows with the ECE dosbox I could not get this to work. I am using a "duct tape" fix where I configured my gas and brake pedals to be on the SAME axis of controller "A". So now I only have 1 controller showing up but all functions (brake, accelerate and steer) are managed by X and Y on one controller. Not as good as doing it the "2 controller way" but oh well.. 😢

What I really want to do is install ECE dosbox in linux but I can't figure out how to get it to work. I think this will solve all of my problems, but I'm not smart enough with linux to do it.

Reply 635 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

you might be able to change the stuff with the joysticktype setting.

That's what I thought too, and I think I tried every variation in the config file. Other users reported this issue it's all over the forum and found on google as well. The only way I could get it to work was combining the 2 "axis" into 1 with the windows settings.

Reply 637 of 1550, by igermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I had a very linux savy friend spend more than 2 hours on the phone babysitting me and telling me what to type and how to compile this. I got dosbox ECE to work in linux and my brake pedal and everything work correct.

The problem is the processor occupancy. I have the cycles in the game set to MAX and it still causes the framerate to drop alot like before. (I'm refering to when I switched to .74 64bit version to .74 32bit version)

Not sure what to do here.

There is no way I could have done this by myself. I would like to be able to run it with the same framerate that I had with the 32bit version of dosbox .74 but at this point I don't know what to do.

For now I will just play in windows because the framerate with ECE version in linux just sucks. Cycles, CPU and everything are set to Max or auto.