VOGONS

First post, by Twilight Adventures

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

At the moment I'm busy recording some GUS-soundtracks from the cartoon-games Infogrames published in the nineties. Games like 'Asterix & Obelix', 'Spirou', 'Tintin', 'The Smurfs' etc.
These games were originally designed for the SNES and were later converted for DOS/Windows by EastPoint Software. The DOS soundcard-options were Soundblaster/pro/sb16/awe 32/Adlib (gold) and Gravis Ultrasound.

Only the Gravis Ultrasound gives us stereo-sound and in my opinion it's the best way to listen to these soundtracks, because there are some wonderfull melodies hidden in these games.

A real Gravis-card is not an option for me financially, so all my recordings are made in Dosbox (with 4.11 patches). But if there's someone with spare time on his hands and can record these tracks with a real card, let me know and I'll adjust the video's.
But for now, emulation is the way to go for me. Don't want to promote a Youtube-channel here for content which does have an extremely limited audience anyway, I just wanted to share with people who can enjoy these kind of things. Finished uploading the Asterix & Obelix OST a few minutes ago. More to come. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDiJJW5cbnM

Reply 1 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my personal experience most of the GUS users of the time used either Pro Patches Lite 1.5 or Pro Patches 3 instead of the original install. So if the game uses the patches then it is important to at least name the used install version in the comments. The GUS is no ROM sound card, it can sound quite different and some of the default patches are arguably not the best quality.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 7, by Twilight Adventures

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the Pro Patches Lite 1.61 set before with these games, but it gave me lots of looping/hanging notes. This problem was almost gone when I used the original install (4.11)
I agree the sound-quality of the 161-set is better most of the time. But I heard some strange instruments in these games when not using the default patches. And some instruments were extremely loud when others were too low in volume. So low, it could change the complete melody sometimes.

Because of these problems, I had the impression that using the default patches was the way the makers intended it to be.

In my video, you can see I put all the info in the column on the left for making my recordings, including the installed version, which is 4.11. If this info can be improved, let me know. Thanks!

Reply 5 of 7, by Twilight Adventures

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uploaded the Gravis Ultrasound 4.11 soundtrack of "Spirou" by Frederic Mentzen, Emmanuel Regis & Thierry Caron. Together with "Asterix & Obelix" I think it's one of the better soundtracks Infogrames produced for these cartoon-games. Spirou has a richly layered stereo-sound with all kinds of bells in it, which creates quite a unique musical atmosphere. If your time is limited, just check out these tracks: "Menu" and "The Chase." The OST is uploaded here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-74T83c0g

Reply 7 of 7, by Twilight Adventures

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And for completeness sake;

uploaded "Lucky Luke OST" by Fabrice Bouillon & Emmanuel Regis - Gravis Ultrasound 4.11 [Emulated]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSAOvZxgHQA&t=999s