top20 DOS utils/tools

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of my favorite DOS utilities are SETMUL, SPEEDSYS, UNIVBE, and S3VBE20

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

WfW 3.11

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 23 of 47, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

COPYWRITE / LOCKSMITH

Don't forget VGACOPY... it worked when the programs above failed to copy the copy protection...

Dominus wrote:

WfW 3.11

Doesn't run on 8088.
TopView was amazing at its time, needed no more than 8088/640k.

Reply 24 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Who cares about 8088?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 28 of 47, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retropol wrote:

any well equipped hw info tool? dealing well with different configs and having details of hw? do you have any propositions?

Norton SysInfo was best I ever had..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zyga64 wrote:

Speaking about image viewers I remember SEA was best in terms of convenience. Can be found here.

"Animator Pro a.k.a Autodesk Animator is a 256 colour paint and animation program. Opensource"

Wait, good old Autodesk Animator became Open Source ? That's great news! ^_^

Edit:

jaZz_KCS wrote:

I am surprised that FileMaven wasn't listed yet. It is the ultimate file-manager with integrated Host/Client functions over parallel and serial.

Well, I mentioned it a few times in other threads (and some of my video clips).. But yeah, I agree that it needs to be mentioned more often. :)
FM is really useful for copying data over to older laptops with faulty floppy drives, too. Or getting data on/off XT class machines with MFM/RLL type hard disks / without 3,5" floppy drives.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 36 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retropol wrote:

norton commander does not have this pc-pc transfer function? [..]

Not sure, never really tried any Norton Commander past v2 (still favour v1 by Norton Computing).
That -uhm- "more complex" v5 from that Symantec (?) company may has one, or so I heard. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 37 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Additionally to the integrated file transfer function in NC NC4 brings TERM90 and NC5 TERM95 which are terminal programs. These can also be used to transfer programs to another computer.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 38 of 47, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NC5 is horrible.
NC4 is way better.
Also Volkov (Not Volcov!) Commander is pretty cool - uses way less memory and it supports copying/moving of multiple highlighted directories which NC4 doesn't have.
I never liked DOS Navigator.

Back in the day I've been finding both - the transfer over serial connection and TERM90 very useful (first for copying lot of stuff from friend's computer to mine, second for BBSs 😀 )

Norton Utilities also has some very useful DOS tools.

I liked the FrameWork 3 /4 software suite (text editor, spreadsheet, database) I also liked MiniTAG text editor.

I used NeoPaint and NeoShow heavly. I also liked Envision Publisher for printing stuff as it offered near-inkjet quality on 9-dot matrix printer.

When it comes to diagnostic software CheckIt 3.0 is my favourite for legacy stuff and NSSI 0.6 for more recent stuff. But I like PC Doctor 1.5 as well.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg