VOGONS

Reply 140 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You also need the Yamaha DAC. Or else there is no FM sound...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 141 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

You also need the Yamaha DAC. Or else there is no FM sound...

The DAC came from another seller, and it arrived two weeks ago.

1982 to 2001

Reply 142 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some volume knobs arrived today, my brother printed them. They're black, with glitter because he has a sense of humour 😜 (and I think thats what he had available at the moment).

It wasn't a very high-res printer, so there are two knobs with a more ridged design (giggity).

eLn2cX4l.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 143 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They look good! I think the extra ridges are a good idea. I have the standard STL, and it is quite slippery.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 144 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

They look good! I think the extra ridges are a good idea. I have the standard STL, and it is quite slippery.

I'm looking for a screw now. There are large boxes on eBay/Aliexpress but that takes forever to get here and I would have to buy 1000 screws to get one I need 😀 local hardware stores don't stock it.

Where did you get yours?

1982 to 2001

Reply 145 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.microscrews-shop.nl/

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 146 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

https://www.microscrews-shop.nl/a-28468924/ci … -1-4-x-6-10-st/

Should be this one then 😀 Funny, I found that site a few days ago, but somehow missed that they have these

1982 to 2001

Reply 147 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes that one will fit. I took one with a conical head, but the flat head should be fine.

Concerning the bracket: We really need someone to make some professionally, I think... I tried to mod a Keystone bracket, but the DB15 and the volume wheel hole are really a pain...

Maybe for the meantime I will make an STL file for printing, as a stopgap measure.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 148 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Yes that one will fit. I took one with a conical head, but the flat head should be fine.

Concerning the bracket: We really need someone to make some professionally, I think... I tried to mod a Keystone bracket, but the DB15 and the volume wheel hole are really a pain...

Maybe for the meantime I will make an STL file for printing, as a stopgap measure.

These guys, maybe. Although the price will probably be astronomical. http://www.bracket.com/products/brackets/

EDIT: It's problably way smarter to find a local company that can (laser)cut metal.

1982 to 2001

Reply 149 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost the right one:

http://www.bracket.com/downloads/brackets/pdf/93590001B.pdf

But yeah, there are a couple of companies that could make the exact bracket. Cost will probably in the order of 10 EUR per bracket for a small batch (you probably won't find any company doing batches less than 100).

Last edited by root42 on 2019-03-28, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 150 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Huh, did not find that one, I did not do the search for 3 rond holes. It's dated 1993, So it's probably another ISA sound card. Really cool they have it all available online.

1982 to 2001

Reply 151 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NE558, YM3812 and SAA1099 arrived today 😀 Little screws should arrive tomorrow, and then it's just the bracket. Not tested it yet!

RVS6WzLl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 152 of 495, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
root42 wrote:

Huh, did not find that one, I did not do the search for 3 rond holes. It's dated 1993, So it's probably another ISA sound card. Really cool they have it all available online.

On a similar note: Would it be possible to mod this one or to mount the potentiometer on a piece of perfboard behind the third round hole?
It looks like a bracket for a PCI Sound Blaster card.
Could someone take a look at the datasheet and compare the hole placements?

Reply 153 of 495, by Dubinius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow,

i wasn't visiting Vogons for this Year - Shame on me - and an Friend told me for that Snark Barker here, ..
What an AWESOME Project, ...

Damn 😁 I had a lot of empty and unsoldered "other" Projects like the Micro8088 from Sergey and now that Sound Card Clone, ...

My Stainless Steel Iron with Lead Solder can't wait for that, ... but i have to wait a little 😎

Greetings

Reply 154 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dubinius wrote:

Damn 😁 I had a lot of empty and unsoldered "other" Projects like the Micro8088 from Sergey and now that Sound Card Clone, ...

Where did you get the Micro8088 PCB? I do have a couple of V20s and Faraday ICs, but wouldn't want to order 10 PCBs again.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 155 of 495, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got my card working after a fashion this weekend. I discovered that the DB-15 sockets I had were male rather than female so I desoldered the second DB-15 from a dedicated game port card I had. I also socketed that cards NE558 so I could use it. I managed to use an audio socket from a scrapped PC by cutting off two of the legs as well. I still do not have the opamp for the OPL chip but I was super happy when Wolf3d picked up the card and blasted that door opening sample through my speakers when I started playing.

CMS sound does not go though the same opamp as the OPL - and works properly. In fact a lot less noisy than the MUS-1099 card I built recently.

My CH Flightstick works fine with the joystick port - tested it a bit in Descent and TIE Fighter.

Most games with auto-detect routines seem to pick the card up. Also played a few early demos like Crystal Dream and they sound decent as well. Very chuffed with this card.

Reply 156 of 495, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone made a shoppingcard @ mouser or digikey ?

thanks

Matthias!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 157 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

Has anyone made a shoppingcard @ mouser or digikey ?

thanks

Matthias!

I imported this list at Mouser, worked just fine. Needed to change 1 IC to a different packing size I think.

https://github.com/schlae/snark-barker/blob/m … SnarkBarker.csv (sockets not included!)

1982 to 2001

Reply 158 of 495, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it turns out Mouser do deliver to South Africa - and in under a week if you use the courier shipping option. Got the final opamps and correct audio sockets for the Snark Barker from them - as well as some Keystone brackets for my XTIDE cards. So I replaced the temporary audio socket on the board and inserted the OPL's opamp and card works 100%. I've made a second card but ran out of some of the resistors before I could complete it. I will also need to import some more Yamaha DACs and 558 timers if I want to make some more cards from the PCBs I have.

Reply 159 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed there is somebody selling his extra PCB's / kits on the Snark Barker GitHub, if anyone is interested. https://github.com/schlae/snark-barker/issues/5

I don't know the guy, so can't vouch for him.

1982 to 2001