Common searches

Jill of the Jungle Sound Effects

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 141, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SBFMDRV processes neither polyphonic aftertouch messages nor control change messages with controller numbers below 102 such as Panpot (10). Yes, that SBFMDRV.COM must be the OPL2 version of the v1.34 that I have, and must have come with very late editions of the Sound Blaster 2.0. I have not come across a problem with pausing and resuming; you would have to show me a file where the problem is most prominent.

Reply 121 of 141, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, thanks for confirming.

Pretty much every CMF file I have has the instruments change after pause/resume. Some testing reveals that it's only SBFMDRV v1.34 that is affected (either OPL version). It affects all Kiloblaster songs, Jill of the Jungle, Word Rescue, Math Rescue, Solar Winds, etc. Some of the most obvious are Jill's zeppelin.ddt, Kiloblaster's song_1.kb1 and Xargon's song_2.xr1. Even Jill's funky.ddt changes the percussion slightly. With Traffic Department 2192's td02.cmf, if you pause the song right at the start it only affects some instruments (not the main melody), whereas pausing/resuming after the main melody has started affects those instruments too. So it appears that this bug only affects instruments currently selected.

Since this is the only version of SBFMDRV I've had until I found your collection, it's quite weird for me to be able to pause and resume CMF files *without* having the instruments change!

Reply 124 of 141, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I'm to blame for the broken demo in Jill 1. I suggested a fix for a major bug that had been present in all versions of Jill, all the way back to v1.0. The bug caused the game to sometimes add two knives to the inventory when touching one knife object in the game, and it could even make the flame of a torch hurt the player long after the flame already disappeared.

As it turns out, that bug was essential for the demo to play correctly. In this case, the bug caused the elevator at the end of the demo to rise by 2 tiles in one frame, instead of just 1 tile. With the bug fixed, the player did no longer reach the object that triggered the end of the demo level for episode 2 at the correct moment, which caused the demo to go out of sync. I edited the demo level and moved the checkpoint object down by one tile, so the demo will play correctly again.

Filename
jill1_demo_fix.zip
File size
1.7 KiB
Downloads
144 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 126 of 141, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose together with that problem that selecting "Epic's BBS" does not work properly when applying the patch to v1.0, I need to release yet another version of the patch sometime.

Reply 127 of 141, by sebsebseb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:
I have updated JILLUPD again. What is new: […]
Show full quote

I have updated JILLUPD again. What is new:

• Corrected PC speaker sound effects that were broken in the original v1.2d, and that failed to work at all when updating from previous versions
  • Corrected occasional PC speaker sound effect dropouts caused by a timer interrupt occurring while the sound effect buffer is still being set up

Hi NewRisingSun, I've tested your patch with multiples abandonware files, GOG one but I've never managed to get pc speaker sound + FM music working with my CT2291 ...
I've just music working

Reply 128 of 141, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think that combo ever worked in any version of Jill. I tried the original version 1.0 as well as 1.2(d) of episode 1 with the same result and I have no reason to believe it would be any different in other versions of the game.

The pc speaker sound effects in Jill use interrupt vector 8 for playback, and I'm almost certain that the music driver (SBFMDRV/WORX) also uses interrupt vector 8. That means you can't have both of them active at the same time, at least not without a major rewrite. The music routines might change the speed for interrupt vector 8 at any time (based on the song's tempo settings), which would totally mess up the speed of the pc speaker sounds. You would need a sound engine that was designed from the ground up to support different playback service routines running at different speeds in order to have pc speaker sounds and music at the same time. Jill simply doesn't have that.

Reply 129 of 141, by sebsebseb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:

I don't think that combo ever worked in any version of Jill. I tried the original version 1.0 as well as 1.2(d) of episode 1 with the same result and I have no reason to believe it would be any different in other versions of the game.

The pc speaker sound effects in Jill use interrupt vector 8 for playback, and I'm almost certain that the music driver (SBFMDRV/WORX) also uses interrupt vector 8. That means you can't have both of them active at the same time, at least not without a major rewrite. The music routines might change the speed for interrupt vector 8 at any time (based on the song's tempo settings), which would totally mess up the speed of the pc speaker sounds. You would need a sound engine that was designed from the ground up to support different playback service routines running at different speeds in order to have pc speaker sounds and music at the same time. Jill simply doesn't have that.

It works with a Vibra 16 CT4170.

Reply 130 of 141, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do not use full quotes when responding.

I don't know what exactly "it" is that is supposed to work on the Vibra 16 CT4170, but it will not be "Jill of the Jingle" with "Do you want digital sound?" answered "No" and "Do you want the musical sound track?" answered "Yes" producing music and PC speaker sound effects, for the reason that K1n9_Duk3 explained. I can only assume that he is incorrectly using "PC Speaker" to mean the PCM sound effects, so he is in fact complaining that the PCM sound effects are not working on this CT2291 sound card.

I have no idea why PCM sound effects are not working in patched Jill with your CT2291. Post a short list of other games in which the sound card successfully provides digital sound and in which others it does not. If PCM sound works in no other game either, the the sound card is broken or misconfigured; if it works in some other games and not in some others, than one can look at the games to find out what the non-working ones are doing differently. If PCM sound works in every other game except Jill, check that you have applied the patch correctly.

Reply 131 of 141, by sebsebseb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answer.
Sorry for quotes, I'm a noob here 😀
So to be clear :
- "it" is what I'm looking for : FM music + PC speaker noises (through SB16's pc speaker pins). I've always prefered PC speaker noises to digital sound but it's a long story !
- Digital sound seems to work on all games I've tried (Dungeon Keeper, Doom, Doom2, Duke3D, Duke2, Dune, Dune2, Raptor, Crusader No Remorse, ...)
- I've applied JILLUPD et JILLFM on GOG's edition of Jill's Trilogy
- I hear PC Speaker sound on episode choosing screen but not in game where I've only got FM music (I've checked SB16 mixer after quitting game and pc speaker is not muted)
- I've got a version of game (my old one which I don't know revision) where FM music is broken (weird noise after few seconds) but PC Speaker sound is OK. If you want, I can get CRC of EXE.

I've not understand what you said : Are you saying that I can't have FM music + PC speaker noises (through SB16's pc speaker pins) working with my CT4170 ? I'm pretty sure it was working. I can try to exchange my SB to check.

Reply 132 of 141, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can't have FM music and PC speaker sounds at the same time in Jill. Period. It doesn't matter if the PC speaker noises are played through your sound card or via the "real" speaker in your computer case (or on your motherboard). The game simply doesn't produce any PC speaker noises when FM music is enabled.

It's possible that you may have a (hacked?) version of the game that can actually play PC speaker sounds when the music is enabled, but if that also results in the music being broken, that just proves my point that FM music and PC speaker sounds simply won't work at the same time.

The episode selection screen is a seperate program (and it's actually written in a different programming language than the main games), so that's not an indication of anything. There's also no music in that menu program.

Reply 133 of 141, by sebsebseb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure it works : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ML3RRg3BLQ

Or I misunderstood what you said.

I've joined CRC from my edition files (obtained with CRCMAN) and my episode 3 shown in the video seems to be 1.2(b).

Attachments

• Filename
    JILL.TXT
    File size
    3.11 KiB
    Downloads
    105 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 134 of 141, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, it looks like version 1.2(b) does in fact support PC speaker sound effects and FM music at the same time. But the versions I tested don't, including version 1.2(d) on which NewRisingSun's patches are based. I don't want to dig any deeper at the moment. I assume that version 1.2(b) has some hack that allows it to run both the PC speaker routines and the FM routines at the same time. It's possible that when they replaced the old music SBFM routines with the WORX toolkit in version 1.2(d), that hack didn't work anymore. Or perhaps the hack had some bugs and that's why it was removed in later versions.

For those interested in technobabble: The routine that's hooked up to interrupt vector 8 in version 1.2(b) seems to reset the timing value for interrupt vector 8 (every time after calling the SBFM vector, I think). I'm not sure if it's safe to do something like that and I wouldn't be surprised if this could cause issues on some systems.

Reply 135 of 141, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remember that version 1.2b replaced DMA-driven PCM playback with timer-based BBAB ("byte by agonizing byte") sample writes, so they had to accomodate two simultaneous timer services at different rates to do that. I question whether that is something to implement in v1.2d patched though. The only reason to do so would be the fact that there are some situations where there are PC speaker sound effects but no PCM ones. The plausible application then would be a mixed Adlib+PCM+PC speaker setting. I am not sure whether such a thing would be worth it though.

Reply 136 of 141, by sebsebseb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The other reason could be that, just for this game, digital sounds are pretty clumsy to my mind and PC speaker a bit better.

On 31/12/1992, my father and I have bought our first PC (what a pleasant memory !) and it hadn't sound card. So I've played all these games at first with PC speaker sound and I've rediscovered them few years later with my first Sound Blaster. Maybe that's why I cherish Jill's PC speaker sound 😀

Reply 137 of 141, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

Since I built my 486 PC, I have been having problem's with JotJ's digital sound effects. The card I am using is a Sound Blaster 16 CT-1750 ASP w/DSP 4.05

Probably not the same problem as yours, but Jill resets the volume which would make my ES1868F card output very high levels that clip. I used the excellent SBPVOL utility to restore acceptable volume levels after starting the game.

Reply 138 of 141, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As it turns out the ES1868F as three possibilities for the output jumpers: speakers, line out without 3D, line out with 3D.

It was set to speakers which caused the signal to be amplified way too much for my headphones. Now I have set it to line out without 3D and the output is much lower.