VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is somewhere good tutorial how to enhance pure DOS HDD / SDD performance on modern PATA / SATA controllers / devices?

I always lived with no DMA - 2 MB/s, i find some driver on Rayers pages i tried it with my X58 machine, but i never was able to make it working. But would like to learn this.
Now i have some Super Socket 7 Cyrix machine and copy something which can be done in windows 98 in 2 times, take tens of minutes, yes im using some slimer 3GB HDD, but its still too slow even for it..

BTW it there good SMART utility for DOS or Windows 98? Something like Crystal Disk info for modern OSes?

Rayer has at least good testing utility RawCopy to test speed.

I never liked SmartDrive, its eating too much memory and i thing that its old and there better alternatives.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 12, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try "UltraDMA Drivers for DOS"
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … udma/udma70.zip

This has to be loaded via config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\UDMA.SYS

and enables UDMA (if available).
I can get almost 33MB/s on my old retro system (UDMA Mode 2)

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 2 of 12, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's this XHDD/XDVD/UHDD/UDVD driverpack for dos, supporting DMA and buffers in XMA.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's this XHDD/XDVD/UHDD/UDVD driverpack for dos, supporting DMA and buffers in XMA.

(Edit: Small edit. Line with question removed, as I have no desire being sued. ;) )
I guess I shouldn't mention this, but I vaguely recall there once was a unlovely conflict with one author of the accelererated drivers.
Edit: Never mind, sorry. :( That's not the right place for that kind of discussion, I suppose.
Is FreeDOS kinda failed? , XHDD / XDVD2 driver

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 12, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UDMA drivers for DOS? I'm gonna have to try these out for sure!

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried udma70.zip with my Socket 7 machine and tested it with Rayers rawcopy benchmark and its working. 9 MB/s instead of 2 MB/s

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 6 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool! Two questions:

1. How much memory (conventional/upper) does the driver itself take?
2. Does it in any way conflict with Win9x DMA (if Windows is loaded after the driver)?

Oh, hell, I have a Win9x system here now! Might as well test it myself. 😎

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the answers are simple:

dr_st wrote:

1. How much memory (conventional/upper) does the driver itself take?

600-something bytes. Nothing, really. Amazing.

dr_st wrote:

2. Does it in any way conflict with Win9x DMA (if Windows is loaded after the driver)?

Unfortunately, yes. Immediately upon loading, Windows complains that UDMA.SYS is forcing compatibility mode and reduces performance, and then programs start crashing. So you should not run Windows if this driver is loaded, and it also seems that it cannot be unloaded. Good for DOS only systems or those with multiple CONFIG.SYS menu options.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 12, by johnsonlam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please stop using UDMA.SYS, it's unstable and may ruin your data, I've another new post for the latest version XHDD.SYS, please check my post.

http://optimizr.dyndns.org/dos/drivers.html

Last edited by johnsonlam on 2019-05-18, 04:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked on link above, i dont see what was wrong with UltraDMA Drivers for DOS, package.

In documentation is how to set in for Realmode and Protected mode.. JEMM, but what about old EMS mode? Its still compatible?

Reply 12 of 12, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:

...i dont see what was wrong with UltraDMA Drivers for DOS, package.

I'd like to have some piece of information on that issues too.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾