Rank Newbie
Rank

Tomorrow I have these at home:
S3 Trio AGP
MSI MX4000 T128 AGP
Club 3D Radeon X1650 Pro
ASUS P5PE-VM LGA 775

+ an AsRock K7S41 socket 462 board with no photo from seller
This whole pack for 10 euros. Its 30km from me, but fortunately in the city where my gf works so it will be a 2in1, lunch together and a nice buy too 😎

Attachments

• Asus P5PE-VM LGA 775.jpg
    Filename
    Asus P5PE-VM LGA 775.jpg
    File size
    159.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Club3D Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB.jpg
    Filename
    Club3D Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB.jpg
    File size
    100.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • MSI MX4000 T128 AGP.jpg
    Filename
    MSI MX4000 T128 AGP.jpg
    File size
    103.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • S3 Trio.jpg
    Filename
    S3 Trio.jpg
    File size
    167.7 KiB
    Views
    File license

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28641 of 52686, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Compared to plain styrofoam a woolen jumper woundn't even sound too bad. But why BS? The job of antistatic bags is to avoid any […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:
dionb wrote:

Actually newspaper is pretty good - its electrical characteristics are almost exactly the same as antistatic bags (i.e. it conducts very, very badly, but nonzero - so ESD-safe) and a few layers of it give better mechanical protection than a bag.

Compared to some of the other packaging I sometimes see, newspaper is one of my favorites.

I'm gonna call bs on this. But i'd wager is is better than plain styrofoam (not much of a competition there, bth)

Compared to plain styrofoam a woolen jumper woundn't even sound too bad. But why BS? The job of antistatic bags is to avoid any static charge buildup by (very slowly) leaking charge, and at the same time equalizing charges by conducting at least something. That's not rocket science, it's just a very high but very much not infinite resistance. Essentially antistatic bags are just reliably, reproducibly conducting through their material, while slowly leaking charge to ensure that whatever potential is present inside is the same as outside.

Newspaper isn't reliable or reproducible, but it essentially does the same. It beats any form of (non-conductive) plastic packaging, which unfortunately seems the norm.

I tell non-business shippers to use aluminum foil. 100% sure to short all pins together, thus preventing esd from penetrating the chip.

Assuming the aluminium foil doesn't tear. But yes, full conductivity - so essentially a faraday cage - is another approach that can work.

Edit:
Got my new toys working today
full.jpg

Puretek PT-2037, aka UMC UM85C418F-GP VLB board. Replaces my crappy UM85C408AF ISA VGA board in my UMC build. So far so good, it improves 3DBench scoers from 26.3 to 37.0. No FDD though, so I still need my multi-I/O card for that.

Nice, can you list all your UMC parts ? Or do you have a thread on this build ?

Reply 28643 of 52686, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some other recent acquisitiions; a new in the box serial Artec 3-button mouse and an old xt-era PC joystick in very good condition.

serialmouse_joystick.jpg

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 28644 of 52686, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
melbar wrote:
I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one. It has also the EMU8000... […]
Show full quote

I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one.
It has also the EMU8000...

9E3YRAf.jpg

What a strange little card. Is that a mini jack on the back?

Reply 28645 of 52686, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
melbar wrote:
I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one. It has also the EMU8000... […]
Show full quote

I don't own any SB AWE 32, but now i have got this one.
It has also the EMU8000...

9E3YRAf.jpg

What a strange little card. Is that a mini jack on the back?

Its the Wavetable half of the AWE32. Its supposed to go alongside an SB16, like the GUS ACE.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 28647 of 52686, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

I see. Never have seen that specific card before. Thanks.

CT1920 AWE32 Upgrade, Music volume

http://www.amoretro.de/2012/11/creative-sound … ard-ct1920.html

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 28648 of 52686, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not in my possesion yet, but on the way... Aopen AX64 + Pentium3 1.0ghz/133 slot1 = wholesome goodness.

Attachments

• Aopen AX64.jpg
    Filename
    Aopen AX64.jpg
    File size
    406.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Pentium3 1.0ghz 133fsb slot1.jpg
    Filename
    Pentium3 1.0ghz 133fsb slot1.jpg
    File size
    256.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 28649 of 52686, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

[...]

Not yet, but intend to do so when I have time (and when I've managed to get at least one of my UMC-based NICs to work under DOS...)

What I did have time for today was a quick pickup run to a neigbouring town for this:

full.jpg

I already had the SGI 1600SW monitor, but now I can hook it up to any PC thanks to the Multilink adapter. It converts either digital DVI or analog (via DVI connetor) to SGI's OpenLVDS for the 1600x1024 beauty.

And it was my lucky day - the seller wanted to dump more SGI stuff and had a Bigfoot Granite keyboard. It was in a bit of a bad state, with broken keystem on the '2' key, messed-up space bar and a few internal supports strapped off - but with a bit of superglue and a lot of patience I've gotten it working again - Alps SKCM Cream Damped goodness 😀

Reply 28650 of 52686, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

+2 Cards to my collection

Attachments

• ATI Rage PRO Turbo AGP.jpg
    Filename
    ATI Rage PRO Turbo AGP.jpg
    File size
    140.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • S3 Virge 86C375.jpg
    Filename
    S3 Virge 86C375.jpg
    File size
    152.59 KiB
    Views
    File license

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28651 of 52686, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was a great week for me in terms of pickups. I obtained a extremely cool and extremely tall Pentium Pro system via eBay. It is a Shuttle HOT-613 single CPU w/ 128 megs of RAM equipped with two ST15150N hard drives that are now running MSDOS 6.22 as a RAID0 array. It originally came with 2 tape drives but I removed one and added a Teac 5.25. Worst case scenario, I can live inside the tower.

ppro.jpg
Filename
ppro.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license

Saturday afternoon I decided to check out a estate sale and I'm glad I did. I found a tower lying on its side on the floor in the corner of a room with a VCR on top of it. I threw out a fair price with the assumption it would be a box of rocks and maybe one working thing and they accepted it.

ngfront.jpg
Filename
ngfront.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license

When I took it home to take a look inside, I was pretty surprised with what was in there. In the expansion slots were a SoundBlaster 32 (CT3930), a VLB Diamond Stealth video card, and a VLB Acculogic sIDE multi IO card. Even more surprising to me was the CPU wasn't a Socket 3 processor but rather a NexGen P80 CPU with the NexGen FPU chipset accompanying it. I have never heard of NexGen before and I had initially assumed the badge on the front of the tower was a local computer shop.

ngcards.jpg
Filename
ngcards.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
ngcpu.jpg
Filename
ngcpu.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license

Tested everything out, the NexGen tower needs a new battery and the cdrom drive tray is stuck but other than that everything is working great.

Last edited by Dragon Caesar on 2019-05-12, 19:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28652 of 52686, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You sir just struck gold, no platinum!

That NxVL isn't the FPU (if you'd found a NexGen board with socketed FPU you could probably give up your day job - but would have to hire a security detail too 😜 ) it's the motherboard chipset. This VLB version isn't as fast as the PCI one, but it is probably the most beautiful motherboard chipset out there.

Enjoy that board, and whatever you do, even if it is stone cold dead, DON'T throw it away. These things are rare and some very capable enthousiast may well be able to resurrect it.

Reply 28653 of 52686, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Not yet, but intend to do so when I have time (and when I've managed to get at least one of my UMC-based NICs to work under DOS. […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:

[...]

Not yet, but intend to do so when I have time (and when I've managed to get at least one of my UMC-based NICs to work under DOS...)

What I did have time for today was a quick pickup run to a neigbouring town for this:

full.jpg

I already had the SGI 1600SW monitor, but now I can hook it up to any PC thanks to the Multilink adapter. It converts either digital DVI or analog (via DVI connetor) to SGI's OpenLVDS for the 1600x1024 beauty.

And it was my lucky day - the seller wanted to dump more SGI stuff and had a Bigfoot Granite keyboard. It was in a bit of a bad state, with broken keystem on the '2' key, messed-up space bar and a few internal supports strapped off - but with a bit of superglue and a lot of patience I've gotten it working again - Alps SKCM Cream Damped goodness 😀

I use to have a hacked Video card that could run Sun Microsystems displays on a Windows PC.
I think it was an S3 Savage 4. I think it was AGP and it had a green heat sink.
“Mirage Illusionist 3D AGP”

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-05-12, 20:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 28654 of 52686, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

That NxVL isn't the FPU (if you'd found a NexGen board with socketed FPU you could probably give up your day job - but would have to hire a security detail too 😜 ) it's the motherboard chipset. This VLB version isn't as fast as the PCI one, but it is probably the most beautiful motherboard chipset out there.

Enjoy that board, and whatever you do, even if it is stone cold dead, DON'T throw it away. These things are rare and some very capable enthousiast may well be able to resurrect it.

Good catch, thank you! Just edited my post to reflect that. Will be enjoying the board for sure, even more once I replace the battery so I don't have to reconfigure everything every time it boots.

Reply 28655 of 52686, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dragon Caesar wrote:
dionb wrote:

Good catch, thank you! Just edited my post to reflect that. Will be enjoying the board for sure, even more once I replace the battery so I don't have to reconfigure everything every time it boots.

I would like to read up on this computer if you would like to place a review in “System” forum category.
Take some nice photos and benchmarks. System specs and stuff. It’s a really neat looking computer.
Envious for sure.

Reply 28656 of 52686, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
dionb wrote:
Not yet, but intend to do so when I have time (and when I've managed to get at least one of my UMC-based NICs to work under DOS. […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:

[...]

full.jpg

I use to have a hacked Video card that could run Sun Microsystems displays on a Windows PC.
I think it was an Nvidia Riva TNT2. I think it was AGP and it had a green heat sink.

See that other monitor on my photo? That's a Sun LSA800 and it works just fine with the same - VGA - output I used for the 1600SW+Multilink 😉

Most later Sun monitors were simple multisync devices that could run on unmodified PC hardware (at least, if you had DE15->13W3 cables/adapters). You probably had an earlier single-frequency monitor. They would need some driver hacking to work under windows, that's most likely what you did.

Reply 28657 of 52686, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card for Sun / SGI displays. Back in the early 2000’s there where allot of SUN and SGI displays for sale on eBay but they sold for dirt cheap because everyone was using Windows computers so no one want to buy these proprietary displays. So someone hacked this card to work.

Attachments

Reply 28658 of 52686, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
Edit: Got my new toys working today https://tweakers.net/ext/f/dour551yetUAUFoJOK9bmXg8/full.jpg […]
Show full quote

Edit:
Got my new toys working today
full.jpg

Puretek PT-2037, aka UMC UM85C418F-GP VLB board. Replaces my crappy UM85C408AF ISA VGA board in my UMC build. So far so good, it improves 3DBench scoers from 26.3 to 37.0. No FDD though, so I still need my multi-I/O card for that.

Ohh, nice! Can the U5S CPU do 40MHz FSB?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28659 of 52686, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Ohh, nice! Can the U5S CPU do 40MHz FSB?

Not tested (yet). Will put on to-do list though 😀

Might take a while as I'm getting guests over on Thursday, then heading with them to a reunion lasting all weekend. Until Thursday I'm tidying up to make sure they have somewhere to sleep that doesn't have PCBs or - worse - screws sticking out at them, then away till Monday, and probably hung over until the weekend after. Spent 4h this evening getting the first bit done, not even had time to seriously play with my SGI screen yet 😵