VOGONS

First post, by joystick77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install Leading Edge Word Processor (LEWP) on a bare-metal DOS 5.0 generic PC.

I downloaded the LEWP disk from [EDIT: LINK DELETED] and transferred it to a USB floppy drive via DOSbox. The real DOS computer reads/writes to the USB floppy drive as a:\ without any trouble. 😀

I changed to the PROGRAM directory and ran createba.exe and install.bat but it requires a second 3.5 drive. I don't have one. While I wait to acquire one, I tested it back in DOSbox by making a virtual drive b:\. Ran the createba.exe and install.bat again. This time it goes several steps deep but at the end it gives an error about a file calls "lems" which I don't seem to have.

Does anyone know definitively how to get LEWP installed on my bare-metal DOS 5 computer from the floppy disk?

The tutor program in the UTIL directory says to start the program by typing "le b b" but that only gave me more errors about invalid commands etc.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2019-05-13, 18:01. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed

Reply 1 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two things. First, so called "abandonware" is not supported here. Second, as per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here)." Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android Just don't ask for help with illegal downloads.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by joystick77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved, in case anyone cares. 😀 I thought I had to start by copying the files from a:\ to c:\ ... nope! Turns out I had to run instalxt.bat but with a trailing reference for source/destination, as such: "instalxt.bat a: c:" ... that did it. Then just had to add a path line in autoexec.bat so I can type "le" directly from c: and it opens the program. All set now.

Reply 4 of 7, by joystick77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Two things. First, so called "abandonware" is not supported here. Second, as per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here)." Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android Just don't ask for help with illegal downloads.

Calling it an "illegal download" seems extreme for a 35-year-old word processor, but it's your forum so I will follow your rules.

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
joystick77 wrote:
collector wrote:

Calling it an "illegal download" seems extreme for a 35-year-old word processor, but it's your forum so I will follow your rules.

Unfortunately, it is illegal unless you can demonstrate it is licensed for distribution in this way by the rights holders. If you take exception to this, blame Sonny Bono and Disney.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the US it is not required for the owner of intellectual property to renew their copyright or even, unlike trademark, defend it. The owners of that software (whomever they maybe) still have all the legal rights to it they did when it was first published, and for at least another 70 years (and more likely much longer than that even). Abondonware doesn't exist. Even if you live in Europe, most foreign countries will honor US copyright.

Reply 7 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even in cases where you actively search for the rights holder to compensate them and are unsuccessful, it's still unlawful to use their work without permission. Some jurisdictions have a mechanism to pay the government who hold the funds in trust until the rights holder surfaces.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder