VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My mainboard computer is a ASUS MAXIMUS HERO VII and I could installed Windows XP, but the sound/ehternet is not working (there is not driver) and the video is not very fast.

Is there any available sound/video card for that bus (PCI-E) with XP drivers?

Reply 1 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound card: I had got an Asus Xonar D1 in a previous PC running XP.
That card was PCI, though. Maybe a similar card (Xonar DX ?) has PCIe and XP support, not sure.

Graphics card: I believe the Geforce 210 still had got XP support and was PCIe. Not sure, however.
Another, good card was the Geforce 750TI. It ran in office PCs with ~350W PSUs, even.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound card:
Sound Blaster X-fi (any but the xtreme audio as that one is a cut down.. mostly software driven version)

Video card - fastest that has XP drivers from both camps:
AMD:
7970 (or 7990 if you want a dual GPU card)
Nvidia:
780Ti

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
muon wrote:

Thanks a lot for the answers

I've read that there is a workaround for the 970, 980 Nvidia series:

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidi … 980-ti-titan-x/

Yeah, that will work. I was only looking at the official drivers and forgot that the 960 was supported on XP.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 31, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to add for sound card, definitely X-Fi for XP, they are the best, but not just any as most of them are PCI. For a PCI-E X-Fi, the options would be Creative X-Fi Titanium (and Titanium HD), Auzentech X-Fi Forte or HomeTheather HD (my favorite, I have two) or Onkyo Wavio SE-300PCIE (very rare and expensive). For graphics card, a Titan X Maxwell should work with modded drivers too, got to be the fastest winXP-compatible graphics card. Just don't try Pascal, won't work.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 6 of 31, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a pretty trivial driver hack you can get a GTX 980ti to work in windows XP:

https://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidi … 980-ti-titan-x/

The GTX 960 is officially supported. For pure XP machine, I think the GTS 250 and the HD 4850 offer the best value, but that is all relative to what era of XP games you are trying to play.

As for Audio, you want the latest iteration of the creative chip. Last time I was looking, the X-Fi extreme gamer SB0770 and the X-Fi Xtreme Music SB0670 are the easiest to find. The "best" sound card for windows XP is the X-Fi Xtreme HD PCIE model, but most of the features on that card probably aren't that relevant to you, and it usually goes for around 200$ (it supports TSX and some later Doby standards).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mu_20K

Reply 7 of 31, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, Xtreme Audio, Xtreme Music, Xtreme Gamer, those are PCI cards, he's asking for PCI-E because his motherboard lacks PCI

Reply 8 of 31, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote:

Just to add for sound card, definitely X-Fi for XP, they are the best, but not just any as most of them are PCI. For a PCI-E X-Fi, the options would be Creative X-Fi Titanium (and Titanium HD), Auzentech X-Fi Forte or HomeTheather HD (my favorite, I have two) or Onkyo Wavio SE-300PCIE (very rare and expensive). For graphics card, a Titan X Maxwell should work with modded drivers too, got to be the fastest winXP-compatible graphics card. Just don't try Pascal, won't work.

Definitely, Titanium is sound card to go.

The 970 vga cards are about 100€. The 980 (around 200€) and Ti (300/400€) are pretty expensive

Reply 9 of 31, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you need PCIE, I would say that the Asus Xonar cards are just as good but considerably cheaper. The Titanium HD is the flagship of the era for sure though, it just usually sells pretty high because of its halo status.

Reply 10 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
God Of Gaming wrote:

Guys, Xtreme Audio, Xtreme Music, Xtreme Gamer, those are PCI cards, he's asking for PCI-E because his motherboard lacks PCI

They also made the piece of crap Xtreme Audio in PCI-E. Model is SB1040

Really, any of the X-Fi Titanium series would be fine.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 31, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

If you need PCIE, I would say that the Asus Xonar cards are just as good but considerably cheaper. The Titanium HD is the flagship of the era for sure though, it just usually sells pretty high because of its halo status.

Finally I got a Asus Xonar DGX (for about 30€ shipping cost included)

Reply 12 of 31, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, I had made a topic about PCI-E soundcards for XP not long ago but it appears to have since been deleted for some strange reason. I recall someone saying that the X-FI Titanium was good but that the Titanium HD would NOT be compatible with XP.

Or maybe it was Fatal1ty that wasn't compatible?

Reply 13 of 31, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, Titanium HD has no winXP drivers, totally forgot this. But the regular Titanium does. More importantly, Auzen X-Fi Forte and Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD are probably the best, you get Titanium HD-competitive sound quality, you get 7.1 surround (Titanium HD is stereo only) and you get winXP support, whats not to like (well, the rarity and the price i guess)

Reply 14 of 31, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:

More importantly, Auzen X-Fi Forte and Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD are probably the best, you get Titanium HD-competitive sound quality, you get 7.1 surround (Titanium HD is stereo only) and you get winXP support

EAX support?

Reply 15 of 31, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course, they have the full emu20k chip with EAX 5 HD and 128 simultaneous sounds and CMSS-3D and everything. And work with the Daniel K X-Fi drivers too. Forte is a low profile card so perfect for SFF build. HomeTheater HD has unique feature in that it has HDMI port, so you can connect a high end receiver to it and output 7.1 surround uncompressed raw digital over hdmi cable (other digital cables like spdif can only do that for stereo, surround gets lossy compressed). Both also have built-in headphone amp with swappable opamp chip. Great stuff. I have two HomeTheater HDs, one I use in my main winXP/win7 dualboot gaming PC, the other is in storage as a spare just in case. Love it. Only thing I can complain about is that it only works right in Windows (XP/7/10 tested), on Linux somethings wrong and sound volume is way too low for some reason.

P.S. almost forgot to mention, the Auzens also have the connectors for the X-Fi Titanium 5.25 case drive addon

Reply 16 of 31, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are all of the none-HD Titaniums XP compatible and good for Windows XP? It's confusing because I see ones that are labelled SB0880 where some have a sheath/cover over them and others don't.

Reply 17 of 31, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They should be. I think they're pretty much the same card, just the ones with the sheat/cover are the retail Titanium Fatal1ty cards, the ones without are OEMs for like Dell and such, but should work the same

Reply 18 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote:

Are all of the none-HD Titaniums XP compatible and good for Windows XP? It's confusing because I see ones that are labelled SB0880 where some have a sheath/cover over them and others don't.

Short answer yes, Basically for XP you want one with the EMU20K2 chip.
Below gives the names to the different bundles and what the differences are which is why SB0880 gives mixed results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X … Fi#X-Fi_line-up.

Reply 19 of 31, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Short answer yes, Basically for XP you want one with the EMU20K2 chip. Below gives the names to the different bundles and what t […]
Show full quote
infiniteclouds wrote:

Short answer yes, Basically for XP you want one with the EMU20K2 chip.
Below gives the names to the different bundles and what the differences are which is why SB0880 gives mixed results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X … Fi#X-Fi_line-up.

Is there any reliable way to tell based on appearance? They only seem to have SB0880 and all have an "X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity" logo on them. I imagine there are a ton of listings mislabeled as being Titanium EMU20K2 chips that actually are not.