Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev. 2.0

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
skel2raw wrote:

Do you know which cache chips I need to get in order to upgrade the board to 1MB chaceh?

Here's a link where you can download the entire manual. It gives you the cache options and configurations: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 2gx4_manual.pdf

skel2raw wrote:

Do you have an idea, where I can find information about how to set the pins for the LED panel of the case?

That varies between different makes of LED displays.
Your best option would be to trial and error. You can change the jumpers while it's on. Just remember there is a setting with the turbo on and turbo off.

Reply 22 of 27, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
skel2raw wrote:

However with the cache I have not been succesfull so far. Do you know specific chip models/names?

What do you currently have on the motherboard? I don't think the make would make any difference. As I recall, the motherboard manual specifies 20 nanoseconds or faster but, I would recommend 15 nanoseconds or faster. This will then allow you tighter cache and RAM timings.
Take note that the TAG Cache RAM is probably 8K now but, you will require a larger TAG cache RAM if you wish to increase your Cache above 128K (refer to the manual)

Reply 23 of 27, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I just found a guy on ebay who was selling the chips I need for 1MB from another 486 mainboard. The TAG ram, can I simply use the same chip like the other 8 chips or is it anything special?

Reply 24 of 27, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is the same type of memory than your other cache RAM chips but, take note that the size of the memory sometimes differs to the other cache RAM chips.

Reply 25 of 27, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finally got a eprom programmer and burned a new chip. The computer boots up perfectly and now also shows the proper CPU speed all the time 😀
Next is to get a AMD 5x86 to work with the board - just need find the proper jumper settings anywhere.