VOGONS

First post, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, there I was, going to jump the power header when my metal tool slipped off the power header and touched the adjoining headers. I'm not sure if it made contact with one of the speaker header pins, or one of the key lock pins. All I know is, sparks flew and the system shut down.

On restart the board comes to life, spins fans, makes CPU's hot; all the good things you would expect. But it wont POST.

Of all the things that can kill a board, tell me this isn't one of them. I had big plans for this baby. Tell me she can be revived.

Reply 5 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Not sure what i should be focusing in on."

well, the idea would be to locate a skidmark. Nothing obvious, so rasz_pl's reply is the likely outcome.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 16, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try to measure the pins that shouldn't be grounded to ground. For example if the HDD led positive side is grounded (which shouldn't be obviously), follow it to the next component and make sure if that it isn't bad.
Most likely they all go straight to the chipset, which at that point i would consider it a lost cause.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 7 of 16, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few years ago I had the EXACT same thing, also with a p3b-f. Killed instantly. I felt pretty stupid for beeing so lazy and not using a proper button (or something with similar function).

After that I always grabbed a simple connector with 2 wires to start motherboards. Now, a few years later I find myself using the screwdriver again..... until the next stupid mistake comes along...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 16, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣!

I'm the third one who did this same stupid thing on my P3B-F!
I remember that after touching the two wrong pins, a small chip on the board flashed and gone away with a nice column of smoke... 😀

But the board didn't die!

it continued to work perfectly, with the only drawback that the only way to switch off the system was to remove the power cable! Turn off from Windows or from holding the power button did't work anymore!

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 11 of 16, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks to me there is some burn damage on the upper left pin (PWR)? You should check the backside of the board also (or do you have a picture?). Best case scenario there is a simple short somewhere.

Do you have a POST analysis card?

1982 to 2001

Reply 13 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
colpoz wrote:
LOL! […]
Show full quote

🤣!

I remember that after touching the two wrong pins, a small chip on the board flashed and gone away with a nice column of smoke... 😀

it continued to work perfectly, with the only drawback that the only way to switch off the system was to remove the power cable! Turn off from Windows or from holding the power button did't work anymore!

now that changes things considerably, maybe there is something between pins and chipset (transistor/TTL gates)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 16, by varrol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote:
colpoz wrote:
LOL! […]
Show full quote

🤣!

now that changes things considerably, maybe there is something between pins and chipset (transistor/TTL gates)

I had that behaviour on this mobo when running damaged RAM + sometimes it was doing a reset on power button press. Of course those are old dusty stuff and there might have been another reason besides bad memory (cause I cleaned up it carefully before finding out about the memory).

AOpen AX6B+ | P3 1G | 1GB ECC REG | FX5200 | CT4500
AOpen AX59pro | K6-2 450M | 256MB | Rage 128
Asus CUBX-E | P3 1G | 512MB | GF4 TI4200 | YMF719E-S
Asus P3B-F | P3 933M | 384MB | Radeon 9200 | CT4520
Asus P5A | P55C 200M | 256MB | Riva TNT | CT3600

Reply 15 of 16, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's a matter of 'zapped chipset' then the easy solution is to replace the chipset. Not as hard or expensive as you may think, and there's plenty of cheap/broken BX motherboards you can use as donors.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg