VOGONS

Reply 540 of 741, by Vulturius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Let me introduce you another possible method FSMP + DOSBox hot swapping virtual Midi devices using SysEx messages: https://youtu […]
Show full quote

Let me introduce you another possible method
FSMP + DOSBox hot swapping virtual Midi devices using SysEx messages:
https://youtu.be/6CdJ7sEt8UM

Phil has already described what prerequisites are required in another topic:
How to get Virtualmidi Synth worked in Dosbox under Win10

Besides the above written you should do the following:
1. Download and start FSMP.
2. Configure it according to what output/plugins/etc. you want (Soundfonts, VSTi etc.).
3. Choose Main menu-> Storage of settings -> Configuration Presets and save your configuartion with a 3 digit numeric postfix. (Make sure you select the right Midi input before saving presets.)
More info: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
4. Send the appropriate SysEx before launching your game.

I have made a zip package that includes the used DOS SysEx sendeing program + Presets + example batch file.

mdf40+FSMP_Presets.zip

I've spend the last couple of days creating a DOS command line program to create a SYX file on the fly, each time you wish to change presets.
I was wondering what the content means: F0 66 04 00 F7

F0 is header of sysex
66 is ?
04 is ?
00 is number of the preset in HEX.
F7 is end of sysex

The purpose is to generate depending on the preset you want a sysex file and use that one to send via midi to falcosoft midiplayer.

I think this might be a good approach?

Reply 541 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vulturius wrote:
I've spend the last couple of days creating a DOS command line program to create a SYX file on the fly, each time you wish to ch […]
Show full quote

I've spend the last couple of days creating a DOS command line program to create a SYX file on the fly, each time you wish to change presets.
I was wondering what the content means: F0 66 04 00 F7

F0 is header of sysex
66 is ?
04 is ?
00 is number of the preset in HEX.
F7 is end of sysex

The purpose is to generate depending on the preset you want a sysex file and use that one to send via midi to falcosoft midiplayer.

I think this might be a good approach?

You can find the details here:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

Yes, I see no reason why it should not work this way.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 543 of 741, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roland User wrote:

What this ?
https://yadi.sk/i/1yK97WI51CbahA
So work SoundCanvas VA , why this synth so noised ? Why Roland creat such bad render ?

Please shut up. Your dumb words are hurting my brain.

Seriously, though. It’s a singleton library implementation of the software or firmware that drives the SC 8820. It likely also renders natively with 16 bits of precision, and it has samples that are all based around the operation sample rate of 32000Hz. Rendering any higher just results in more interpolation, and not really greater precision.

It is what it is, a very decent reference implementation of the GM, GS, GM2, and secretly even basic XG support. It isn’t really any greater. You’d get a lot better volume boosting by convincing whatever it is you’re playing to boost the MIDI master volume, rather than digitally pumping up the output volume.

Reply 544 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

kode54
Please shut up.

Please , don ont speak with me in this tone.
Also , please , understand , what 32 bit float point with output would , very very good , and no , this would best mode. But , Roland not wantin , or not understand what 32 bit float point in 2016-2019-s , this minimum for good quality.
Also , Roland SCVA not correct work with drums in of some maps. If this and on hardware , this only means what error have and in hardware..
You can leave with your opinion with you.
But I want have best quality and crystal purity sound on my hardware.
I also learning what same bad work M-Audio GM module.
Also if you was be are attentive , you can see , what if increase frequancy sampling , was be an increase noise level. This very bad.

Reply 545 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If impotant , that I use Win7 x64 with SRC from Win8 , and this very high quality resampler ) with this resampler no other noise in signal.
Also , so that you understandin , this noise and desctruction in sound tract don't appear if I use Roland VSC 3.2.
Here is and compare as work new version Roland synthesizer.

Reply 547 of 741, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m sorry, I’m so used to seeing that level of trolling crap around here, I thought that I, a long time registered user, could also get away with it.

Seriously, though, the dude needs to lay off the weed or something. That or I’m just deaf, because I don’t even notice these apparent limitations that his golden ears are observing. He should be glad he’s not paying good money for an emulator of an equally expensive hardware synthesizer that originally only had analog output. Then again, I guess I’m not paying for it either, except for the deeply discounted iOS app that has the very same synthesizer in a standalone player and MIDI host form.

Reply 548 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

kode54
I not have gold ear , but I do record sound from synthesizers , also I do record sound from any music of music sites or from videos which do not downloading to my PC )
Before this I not understand , what create noise in records , so I started learning what creating noise in my records. I was surprised wheen I see what this create SCVA. I was surprised more , wheen I see what in Roland VSC VST this noise not create. I'm listening music only in headphones ) , so I very want , what would Roland fix this bug.
Let's friending ? )

Reply 549 of 741, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's really bizarre that you're getting noise from Sound Canvas VA, it should be noiseless... at least it was when I used it.
What drum map issues did you experience by the way? I have an SC-8850 so I can test to see if the issue occurs on real hardware, too.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 550 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SpeedySPCFan
Hi )
This is very good what you have real SC-8850!
Problem with drum be if set any map but not SC-55 and change level chorus on drum channel or drum chanels if select two drum channles.
If I select map as SC-55 , SCVA answer on change chorus level on drum channel , or I select map as SC-88 and later and also select chorrus level on drum channel - answer not be.
Instead this will be , so , as if chorus absent in synth. But if I return SC-55 map - fader be work.

Now about noise )
The fact , what all regarding )
If I play song on SCVA noise not have. But if I easy load this synth and monitoring SNR without sounds all , SNR -86dB -90dB in 24 bit resolution.
As onlu I close SCVA - SNR will be infinity.

Reply 551 of 741, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So is the general consensus that the SC VA is good enough to used instead of real hardware for all but the true purist? SC VA is not cheap but still cheaper than real SC55s.

Are there any games that will be noticeably bad with SC VA?

Reply 552 of 741, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote:

So is the general consensus that the SC VA is good enough to used instead of real hardware for all but the true purist? SC VA is not cheap but still cheaper than real SC55s.

Are there any games that will be noticeably bad with SC VA?

SCVA sounds exactly like a real SC-8850. So if something would sound bad on an SC-8850, it would also sound bad on SCVA.

Reply 553 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote:

SCVA sounds exactly like a real SC-8850. So if something would sound bad on an SC-8850, it would also sound bad on SCVA.

Just a little correction: SC-VA emulates SC-8820 not SC-8850. Also the SC-55 emulation mode of SC-VA (the most important aspect for games) is worse compared to a real SC-8820. E.g:
Re: Heads Up: Roland Sound Canvas VA VSTi Plugin!

Reply 554 of 741, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the same link you can head Duke Nukem 3D - Intro.
Original SC-55 has different kick and ride cymbal sound than all the sc55 maps.
As of now, nothing perfectly matches the real SC-55.
But if you are not very anal to the last detail, SC-VA has a huge value and is the closest we ever got with software, it's 99.9% there to the SC55, and 100% to other SC units.

I have my hardware SC-55 stored and use SC-VA with Dosbox, if that matters.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 555 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcosoft
SCVA very good emulate SC-55 mode )
I learn about this only when compare as play real sound and sound on videohostings. I thinked what MUNT difference with Real MT-32 , however when I compare what I hear on MUNT , and what I hear on uploaded in video - I understanded what Real MT-32 and MUNT played same.
I think , what SCVA and Real SC hardwares also.
Any hosting destruct sound , this sad , but true.

Reply 556 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote:

Falcosoft
SCVA very good emulate SC-55 mode )

No one said it's not good. Me and James-F only mentioned 2 concrete examples where you can hear significant differences (namely Doom and DN3D). And in case of Doom the difference is not only noticeable compared to a real SC-55 but also to SC-55 emulation of real SC-8820 (what SC-VA actually emulates).

Reply 557 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcosoft
I understand , but i also understand what compressor , bitrate , codec and other causes will be create other sound ) not as is in originl )
You can hear diifference https://yadi.sk/d/wrtKhqdcEUTrqg , first record from MUNT , second record from MUNT - next load to Yandex.ru cloud , and play from yandex cloud and record again

Last edited by Roland User on 2019-05-21, 16:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 558 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote:

Falcosoft
I understand , but i also understand what compressor , bitrate , codec and other causes will be create other sound ) not as is in originl )

Good for you, but we are talking about completely different things.

Reply 559 of 741, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes ) but internet recording very destruct sound and will be play not so as is )
Because if and compare , so only SCVA and hardware without internet recordings ) or uploading , so only FLAC , WavPack and other lossless formats for hear