VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Il my collection i found a 370 to slot1 adapter with 2 row of five jumper each one plus another single jumper in top, someboby know if this kind of adapter isfor mounting a cpu with lower vcore (less than 2.0v) in a mainboard made before the coppermine/tualatin come out? i have no manual and no tabels of jumper printed on the adapter

Reply 5 of 7, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like a typical PPGA slotket, it probably supports only mendocino celerons. I have a similar looking slotket on which the dip switch is used to set CPU core voltage, it works only when all of the jumpers are at the bottom (closer to DIP switch) and when all of the jumpers are at the top, CPU core voltage is set "automatically" via CPU "VID" pins. You can find compatible "VID" table in any slot1/s370 CPU datasheet. JP6 connects to "BSEL_0" CPU pin, it selects between 66MHz and 100MHz (overclocK) FSB.

I've modded such slotket recently to be compatible with FC-PGA CPUs (coppermine), it's doable.

Reply 7 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://krick.3feetunder.com/370mod/
Did it probably between 50 and 100 times back in the day, except with masking the pin instead of ripping it off the socket, faster and less prone to failures (like oops just pulled wrong pin out). Saved about $10 buying PGA vs FCPGA slotkets.

I was quite prolific when it came to selling budget gaming rigs in 1999-2010.
Slot1 taped B21(still remember pin designation to this day 😮), 3 more taped pins for 2.2-2.4V Vcore and bam 450-550 MHz CPU at a fraction of P2/P3 price on budget BX/ZX Zida boards.
Mendocino Celerons tapped out around 550 MHz, so overclocking PGA variants was most optimal with C366 model, anything higher and you maxed out at lower FSB (466@83, 466@75 etc).
FCPGA was good to 1GHz, with late steppings overclocking all the way to 1150 MHz! Selling overclocked Coppermine Celeron vs Duron was a tossup. Pretty much same performance, with Intel being slightly cheaper while AMD more modern/upgradeable.
Good times. Things got boring after Slot1 era for me, avoided Intel P4 altogether and went selling AMD full time until Core 2 came out.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction