VOGONS

First post, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to install Windows 98 on a hard drive I've recently obtained, with the drive being 80GB in size. However, after formatting the drive with setup, the installation stops with a message like this:

a766422169.png
I've used the full 80GB, and even lowered it to a single 8GB partition, and neither of them worked. Is there something wrong I'm doing?

Reply 1 of 15, by i386x64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need to run fdisk and partition and format the drive. How old is the PC? You may have a issue with the drive if it's over 32 GB the bios may not see over 32 GB. I did google the message because it's been so long since I used Windows 98 on a daily basis. Good luck hope this helps.

Reply 3 of 15, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an 80 GB drive where the fdisk/format that came with Windows 98SE did not work.
That's why that computer ended up with Windows ME, which worked just fine.

Ordinarily I'd have used a Linux Boot CD with gparted and created and formatted a FAT32 partition with that, but the newer Linux Boot CD's wouldn't work with that old Socket 7 motherboard. If your motherboard is newer you probably won't have that problem.

The problem with Windows 98 and an 80 gb hard drive is described here
https://www.computing.net/answers/dos/formatt … sdos/17295.html

One person in that thread suggested using the newer version of fdisk at bootdisk.com
https://www.bootdisk.com/plan012714/newfdisk.zip

Another person suggested using a Windows ME bootdisk from http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
to fdisk and format.

And the OP in that thread ended up using Partition Magic 4.01.

Reply 4 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try running your disk manufacturer's diagnostics, that'll tell you if the drive is defective.

Windows XP and above (also PE editions) include diskpart which can totally blank the partition table if the drive is physically ok:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK * (make sure it's the correct disk number)
CLEAN

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 15, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After various attempts to get Windows 98 to work with a particular motherboard, including installing the operating system on a different computer and trying to boot on the troublesome board, trying to install directly on the troublesome board, but getting an error about a corrupt packed file (OS Disc is fine), etc...

I'm not sure what else to try. Put a 120GB, 80GB, amd even a 40GB drive in with the board. None of them played nice with the board.

Any other suggestions?

Reply 8 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're sure your installation media works and you've tried all the previous suggestions then try another drive.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 10 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're just looking to eliminate a potential cause until all you're left with is a controller issue.
What board is it anyway?
Does it run other operating systems ok?
How have you configured your system and partitioned your drive?
Obvious things to check are jumpers, cables, power, BIOS settings, BIOS version.

Reply 11 of 15, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BushLin wrote:
You're just looking to eliminate a potential cause until all you're left with is a controller issue. What board is it anyway? Do […]
Show full quote

You're just looking to eliminate a potential cause until all you're left with is a controller issue.
What board is it anyway?
Obvious things to check are jumpers, cables, power, BIOS settings, BIOS version.

It's a Gigabyte GA-6BA board, running the latest bios version. Bios settings are, except for the boot order, at their defaults.

Hard drive jumpers are fine, cables are fine, PSU is fine. No operating systems seem to work. Windows 98, 2000, 3.1, etc. All refuse to install or boot.

Reply 12 of 15, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroLizard wrote:
BushLin wrote:
You're just looking to eliminate a potential cause until all you're left with is a controller issue. What board is it anyway? Do […]
Show full quote

What board is it anyway?

It's a Gigabyte GA-6BA board, running the latest bios version. Bios settings are, except for the boot order, at their defaults.

Hard drive jumpers are fine, cables are fine, PSU is fine. No operating systems seem to work. Windows 98, 2000, 3.1, etc. All refuse to install or boot.

Try a separate hard disk controller. If that does work, your onboard controller is dead.

Reply 13 of 15, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It COULD also be something similar to what I had with my Windows 95 computer. My system is made from parts I had lying around. It's a Socket 7 ATX motherboard with a built-in HDD controller, as was standard for ATX motherboards of that time. ATA-66 I believe.

ANYWAY, the smallest hard drive size I had was a 20.4GB Maxtor drive. When connected, the BIOS said it was 8GB... which is obviously incorrect.

So.... what did I do to get this working right? I went on-line and found really old Maxtor "drive overlay software". I downloaded a floppy image of this software and used a USB floppy drive to create the floppy from the image. I boot the system with my Win98 startup disk and then I swapped floppies and started the setup program of the Maxtor drive overlay softare and installed it to the hard drive. Now, when the computer boots up, the BIOS looks at the boot sector of the HDD and ends up loading the overlay software, which allows me to use the full 20.4GB at once, bypassing the 8GB limit of the BIOS. And Windows 95 installed perfectly and works just fine after that. DOS mode too.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did the same on my 1989 era 386DX25 on a 4gig drive. Used EZDrive DDO. Works nicely using Dos. Tested it on a 286 and booted fine. IJust set the drive type to Type 2 on the oldies. It's a good way of getting maximum usage out of those old hdds.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉