VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

i have the demo of the game Skaphander and would like to listen separately to the soundtrack.
Is it possible to extract the soundtrack from the game? If yes, where is it stored and how can i extract it?
The game has only these free files:

SKAPEDEMO.BAT
SKAPEDEMO.WRS
WRUN.EXE

Reply 1 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could connect the audio out from the DOS PC to audio in on a modern PC and use Audacity to capture the real-time playback. You might have to go in and disable digital sound effects to capture only the music.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 3, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of music is it? If it's tracker or another digital type, it can usually be "ripped"; try starting with an program like Ripper5. If it's MIDI you can just record the MIDI output in DOSBOX or with a MIDI recorder and have a .mid you can play.

If it's FM (Adlib/SB) it's gonna be more difficult. You can always record a .dro (direct OPL command stream) with DOSBOX but that's not something you can really "play" (although Scali's VGM player supports it IIRC.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!