VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

That would most likely exclude caps as the source of problems. Personally I wouldnt even touch VIA board with a stick, and rather take my chances overclocking 440BX.

That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? There's nothing wrong with VIA boards in my experience.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 41 of 48, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry I missed your question. Here I would reduce AGP to 2X if you are using an AGP card. Yes, as rasz_pl suggested try nothing but a PCI graphics card to get the machine booting, and remove all other cards. Use a PS2 keyboard and mouse as well as the machine can fail to boot with USB until windows is in.

Did you update the BIOS to 1006.0002 so it can handle the tb1 stepping?

The ram timings seem really tight, I never found any ram faster than 2-3-3-6 (some crucial) that worked in the board so that might be an issue. VIA chipset is a bit fiddly. Once you get it up and running you can use WPCRset to get AGP 4X to work by upping the drive strength since you can't set that in the bios on this board.

Reply 42 of 48, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:

Sorry I missed your question. Here I would reduce AGP to 2X if you are using an AGP card. Yes, as rasz_pl suggested try nothing but a PCI graphics card to get the machine booting, and remove all other cards. Use a PS2 keyboard and mouse as well as the machine can fail to boot with USB until windows is in.

Did you update the BIOS to 1006.0002 so it can handle the tb1 stepping?

The ram timings seem really tight, I never found any ram faster than 2-3-3-6 (some crucial) that worked in the board so that might be an issue. VIA chipset is a bit fiddly. Once you get it up and running you can use WPCRset to get AGP 4X to work by upping the drive strength since you can't set that in the bios on this board.

I may have said screw it and entirely bought a regular Tualatin 1.4 and an Abit VH6T. (And by may have, I mean I did.) I put the components together tonight, not fully put the case back together in case of trouble shooting though so I dont have any pics of the machine yet! It lives!!

264xaavm.jpg
eOLqdlGm.jpg

Reply 44 of 48, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RoyBatty wrote:

Be sure to check the caps on that Abit board.

For sure, nothing was bulging and thus far its been completely stable. That said, heres some pics.
4fsms1Mm.jpg
gKX37hum.jpg
VH5he3Nm.jpg

They seem to all be Jackcon capacitors, would you suggest a preemptive recap?

Reply 47 of 48, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

qq1tbHjm.jpg
eMPewaVm.jpg
ZCZ1UXom.jpg
HXLNyd5m.jpg
x4xMLlmm.jpg
TsiNUxhm.jpg
h7umZpxm.jpg
wtaC3Lym.jpg

Ok I did do my first full recap of the motherboard with all Panasonic capacitors. I'm frankly glad it turns on, I was pretty nervous! The system is totally stable and everything seems to work!!

Final specs:
Abit VH6T Motherboard
Pentium III Tualatin 1.4 GHz CPU
512mb RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 with Noctua Fans + Additional Heatsinks
Aureal Vortex 2 Soundcard
Gigabit Ethernet Card to FTP with my Main Rig (And browse Vogons!!!)
4 Port USB 2.0 Card
CD-ROM
Floppy Drive
120gb SSD + IDE Adapter

Ideas for the Future: Fill the ISA Card slot. I basically know nothing about DOS sound cards so please tell me if you have a favorite!!

Clean up the internals, I did a piss poor job because I was kinda impatient at this point.

Get the front case LEDS working, they dont atm.

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone! Now I have a Modded Tualatin and that other Motherboard just sitting around. I might try to sell them on!