VOGONS

First post, by Andrew T.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This week, I've been reviving a Pentium III system with Windows 95...and after a rocky start with an uncooperative network card, things are going more smoothly.

Except for one small matter: A mysterious, annoying "Browse the Web" option has planted itself in the root level of the Start Menu. I've never seen this appear before on Win95, and I'm not sure which software title, driver, or system update slipped it in. (The system doesn't have IE installed.) How do I get rid of this?!

Attachments

• unwantedmenu.png
    Filename
    unwantedmenu.png
    File size
    8.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.tech2u.com.au/training/tech2u/win9 … /startmenu.html

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 6, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never seen that before either. Weird. Let us know if you ever figure out what put it there.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

most likely that's a registry entry , maybe some windows customization software can remove it?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by Andrew T.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

That's just a tutorial to edit the Programs tree of the Start Menu, which is trivial for any user. My beef with the "Browse the Web" option is that it doesn't appear in the Programs tree...it appears in the lower reaches of the root level of the menu, where it can't be removed by ordinary means...and where extra items can't be placed to begin with unless you're a Microsoft software developer or an intrepid hex editor!

But, some good news...the problem has been solved! I traced this to a later, 2002-dated version of the "explorer.exe" executable that had become installed (I haven't traced the source, but it was most likely the "unofficial service pack" I had ironed on earlier). Reverting to the original 1996-dated explorer.exe made the unwanted menu item go away. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another reason why 'unofficial' service packs usually suck.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 6 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had absolutely no problems with unoficial updates. In fact at times they are more robust than official ones. Just need to look at Windows 10 updates to see that.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉