VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I know... 😜

I haven't been able to get this to work, in spite of "internet scuttlebutt" and instructions on here saying it should be possible. I tried both v1.0 of the demo from Phil's website, and a much later version from a Parhelia CD I had with the same result.

I also edited 'tdrg_v2.ini' to set the resolution manually and set "frequency=0", which someone in an old forum thread elsewhere said was needed for Win98 - this fixed a "cannot initialize video mode" error, at least. I also turned high res textures off since I only have a 64MB card.

At the moment the screen goes black for a second, and it looks like it's going to start, but then spits back to the desktop with this error:

matrox_parhelia_reef.png
Filename
matrox_parhelia_reef.png
File size
1.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's my 3D-Analyzer settings:

3d analyzer.png
Filename
3d analyzer.png
File size
50.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My machine is an Athlon XP on a VIA KM266 chipset, GF3 Ti200, running the 45.23 driver package on Win98SE with DX9.0c installed.

Any suggestions on getting this to run?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe try setting your VendorID and DeviceID to a Matrox Parhelia card? Not sure if that's necessary, but if it's triggering on a card identification issue...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I thought that's what I did... Should be V=4139 / D=1319 according to the internet, right?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 5, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=706469

Everyone in this thread didn't seem to have an issue. OP didn't mention changing VendorID/DeviceID either.

Did you run the .bat file that 3Danalyse creates for you in the demo directory?

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 4 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

^^ I thought that's what I did... Should be V=4139 / D=1319 according to the internet, right?

D'oh, didn't catch that...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fusion wrote:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=706469

Everyone in this thread didn't seem to have an issue. OP didn't mention changing VendorID/DeviceID either.

Did you run the .bat file that 3Danalyse creates for you in the demo directory?

Yep, saw that thread... somebody on there even claims to have it working on a GF3 Ti200, so not sure what's wrong on my system. I get the same result running the batch file as running it from within 3D-analyze manually.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I just figured out it runs beautifully on my Win7 machine with a GTX 750Ti, so I dunno? Didn't even need to set the Device/VendorID. Maybe the 3D-Analyze fix just doesn't work in Win98.

To be honest, this demo could have been released last year for how good it looks.