VOGONS

First post, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone know which version of GPU-Z still works on a PIII ?

I can't recall any similar tools of old, are there any?

Sure would be nice if such tools worked on older machines and OS.

Reply 1 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GPU-Z 0.3.3 works on a PIII and Windows XP. But personally I prefer to use HWiNFO and AIDA64, since both work even on a Pentium with Windows 95 and will provide you the same information GPU-Z shows. There's also a current version of CPU-Z for Windows 95, but I don't know how good it identifies old GPUs. I also use the last version PowerStrip on my old machines which both identifies the hardware and can overclock old GPUs.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Everest Home Edition is free and is the precursor to AIDA64. Works great for most old hardware and Win9x. I think it knows about hardware up to 2005.

Good to know. I've installed AIDA64 but it's a limited trial from what I recall, and there's nothing worse than shareware time limits running out on old hardware. I don't like going the cheat/hack route. Would rather have something that works legit without limitations.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 7, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Everest Home Edition is free and is the precursor to AIDA64. Works great for most old hardware and Win9x. I think it knows about hardware up to 2005.

the original software was called aida32 and it doesn't have the "trial" limitations also, it was later renamed to "Lavalys Everest" and back to Aida64 when the creator split with lavalys.

but yes, even aida64 still works on windows 9x and has good detection for a very wide range of hardware including some old stuff.

Reply 5 of 7, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

0.3.3, thanks!

CPU-Z is still working just fine.

I have AIDA64 it works great and I bought it long ago,

HWINFO does not work, it hangs the machine with 99% CPU usage always, I don't think it likes Voodoo cards or VIA chipsets or something.

Reply 6 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Good to know. I've installed AIDA64 but it's a limited trial from what I recall, and there's nothing worse than shareware time limits running out on old hardware.

I bought a license a while ago on sale (they often sell it at, I think, 50% price), it will give you free upgrades for at least a year and then the last version will work forever. If you use it only on your old PCs, then sure, Everest will also do it, but I'm often using it also to check my current PCs.

RoyBatty wrote:

HWINFO does not work, it hangs the machine with 99% CPU usage always, I don't think it likes Voodoo cards or VIA chipsets or something.

Maybe report it on the HWiNFO forum?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices