Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28980 of 52744, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote:

^^^ I seem to recall BTC CDROMS ejecting discs still spinning. This year I got a P166 with a 10x BTC CDROM and yeah, I recalled correctly.

Excellent driver software package though, I've been using it for 20+ years on all my retro builds (same diskette, too!)

Haha that reminds me, I had a couple of drives do that, one may have indeed been the same brand. The worst culprit though was an old DVD-ROM drive where pressing eject was nerve-wracking, if you were lucky it wouldn't fly out spinning towards you. Always reminded me of that movie Dark Angel/I Come in Peace. 🤣

Reply 28981 of 52744, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a couple of cheap clone 6-button gamepads for my Sega Mega Drive.

9lBSfUnh.jpg

They're certainly not going to win any awards as far as usability, but I'm having some friends around an evening this week and wanted something quick & cheap for 2-player 6-button action. These will suffice. 🤣

Also bought a Sony Playstation, with: 2 controllers, a memory card & 2 games, plus an RGB Scart cable. This filled a bit of a hole in my collection, I'd never owned any consoles from that generation as I'd switched to PC gaming by that point, but did play on them at friends' houses. I only had consoles from the generation after that myself by sheer luck, mostly due to my brother owning them and I hardly ever played them.

Reply 28982 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote:
Jed118 wrote:

^^^ I seem to recall BTC CDROMS ejecting discs still spinning. This year I got a P166 with a 10x BTC CDROM and yeah, I recalled correctly.

Excellent driver software package though, I've been using it for 20+ years on all my retro builds (same diskette, too!)

Haha that reminds me, I had a couple of drives do that, one may have indeed been the same brand. The worst culprit though was an old DVD-ROM drive where pressing eject was nerve-wracking, if you were lucky it wouldn't fly out spinning towards you. Always reminded me of that movie Dark Angel/I Come in Peace. 🤣

I've worked on a few computers where the drive spun the CD so fast that it exploded... also had a few different drives back in the day that would not spin the disc down when you pressed the eject button.

I had one drive myself that was just spinning the disc faster and faster around the same time I had already worked on machines that had exploded the discs. I was able to eject it before the disc exploded.

Fun times.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28983 of 52744, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:
Jed118 wrote:

LOOOL actually, this particular BTC that I had in the 90s spat out my friend's disc (Heroes of Might and Magic II - I still have the disc) and scratched it in such a way that it would not work in his computer but would in mine. I offered to swap CDROMS (he had a 2x, mine was 16x, I think the reasons for the no-go on the swap was that he had his 2X driven right off a Mitsumi interface on a sound card and had no IDE channels left) but no, I had to get a replacement CD. I got to keep the old disc though, and I still use it 😉 I went through a relapse of HOMM a couple years ago with that game.

The drive is also very noisy and vibrated quite a bit - I remember distinctly teenager me pressing the eject button (perhaps one too many High Sierra DOS errors) furiously and yeah, it ejected the CD-R alright - during a full spin cycle the tray opened, disc fully spinning above the tray (IIRC 20 years ago), on an eccentric orbit, then one edge finally touched the tray and WHOOSH - the disc flew across the room and shattered against a wall.

BTC CDROM, thank you for the memories.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 28984 of 52744, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guillemot Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB.... notice the length of the PCB, other gf2 gts 32mb cards are usualy smaller in size, this model perhaps built on a GF3 platform?

Attachments

• hercules gf2 gts 1.jpg
    Filename
    hercules gf2 gts 1.jpg
    File size
    233.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • hercules gf2 gts 2.jpg
    Filename
    hercules gf2 gts 2.jpg
    File size
    200.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 28985 of 52744, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a Chinese Thinkpad power brick for $5, and a PS/2 header for ASUS boards for $3. Excuse the text - seller pics.

Real Thinkpad power brick for the 600E I found in a throwout pile outside apartments was too expensive (relative to how much I wanted to spend on something I found), so $5 for either a used or pretty nice looking clone with good reviews, which can't be worse than any generic laptop PSU power brick is fine by me.

The PS/2 header is for my MMX build in signature, so I can use my IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A on it. Buying one on eBay was around $7.50 + $25 intl. shipping, so $3 for a less professional but fully functional one is fine by me. The material and time to make that myself would have been more than $3.

8ZcTorh.jpg
zN1hBHc.png

Reply 28986 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
x0zm_ wrote:
Bought a Chinese Thinkpad power brick for $5, and a PS/2 header for ASUS boards for $3. Excuse the text - seller pics. […]
Show full quote

Bought a Chinese Thinkpad power brick for $5, and a PS/2 header for ASUS boards for $3. Excuse the text - seller pics.

Real Thinkpad power brick for the 600E I found in a throwout pile outside apartments was too expensive (relative to how much I wanted to spend on something I found), so $5 for either a used or pretty nice looking clone with good reviews, which can't be worse than any generic laptop PSU power brick is fine by me.

The PS/2 header is for my MMX build in signature, so I can use my IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A on it. Buying one on eBay was around $7.50 + $25 intl. shipping, so $3 for a less professional but fully functional one is fine by me. The material and time to make that myself would have been more than $3.

8ZcTorh.jpg
zN1hBHc.png

Be careful with that Chinese power brick. I bought a Chinese one for my Pentium IV Toshiba laptop and not only does it run super duper hot, it even has a small fan to probably keep it from catching on fire.

I opened it up to see what was inside and it is a super crazy cheap design.

It works, but I have only used it a couple times because it makes me scared to think of what would happen if it shorted out.

Luckily I finally located the original power brick which had been lost by the person that gave it to me a few years ago. I ended up finding it in a drawer in their old office after they were no longer working there.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28987 of 52744, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Be careful with that Chinese power brick. I bought a Chinese one for my Pentium IV Toshiba laptop and not only does it run super duper hot, it even has a small fan to probably keep it from catching on fire.

Oh yeah, I don't plan on using it full time. Just enough to make sure it works well enough to justify sinking more money into the real deal. 🤣

Reply 28988 of 52744, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bige4u wrote:

Guillemot Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 32MB.... notice the length of the PCB, other gf2 gts 32mb cards are usualy smaller in size, this model perhaps built on a GF3 platform?

in the first part of 2000? 😀 i dont think so... it has a dvi version too, maybe this the reason. at those time the dvi was very uncommon.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28990 of 52744, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madowax wrote:
Bought these (retro) hardware today […]
Show full quote

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Well, I just managed to get the bigger sister of the Winner 1000...

ELSA WINNER 2000 TwinBus (4MB VRAM S3 928 EISA/ISA with 170Mhz Ramdac)

5No44E9.jpg

Oh wow,if I ever get my 386EISA board going, I'll know what to look for.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 28991 of 52744, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

33a8pjp.jpg

XFX 7950 GT 610M 512MB. I do like these passively cooled cards, I've had a vendetta against loud fans ever since I bought a Sapphire 4870 over a decade ago, that thing was incredibly loud.

Reply 28992 of 52744, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madowax wrote:

Nice find!

(Also, why do people quote pictures in posts all the times, especially when their reply is on the same page with the post they're replying to?)

Reply 28993 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlaricD wrote:
Madowax wrote:

Nice find!

(Also, why do people quote pictures in posts all the times, especially when their reply is on the same page with the post they're replying to?)

Because the quote function doesn't automatically remove them? Sure you can edit it out manually, but how many people going to take the time to do that?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28994 of 52744, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Sure you can edit it out manually, but how many people going to take the time to do that?

Not enough, apparently.

Reply 28995 of 52744, by RegTheEvil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I visited this forum before and saw a post by cyclone3d about Atlona AT-HD500 and immediately got one my self. It finally arrived today! Had to order from USA so the postage and customs got higher than the item itself. I got mine unused. It still had the "factory" smell when I took HD500 from it's bubble wrap. I no longer need to use DVI connector that had lots of issues with games or Sewell Hammerhead VGA-HDMI converter. I was able to use only 640x480 resolution with that. I upscaled the image to 720p to work with old Intensity Pro capture card with cheap ebay HD Video Converter (scaler). No support for 720x400 resolution with that. So I was using DVI to HDMI and Sewell for 640x480 sometimes. DVI had to be downscaled with the ebay thingie as well because my Graphics card wanted to output 1080p through DVI and my capture card supported only 1080i and 720p.

Some games that have 640x480 resolution give me black image now If I hook them directly from AT-HD500 to Intensity Pro. Just some. AT2, Syndicate, Flashback. However Micro Machines 2 and Crusader work and they also have 640x480 resolution. If I connect ebay chinese HD Video Converter in between I get no issues but the image gets too bright. Also If I connect MS-DOS image with At-HD500 to my TV, there are no issues at all and it looks okay.

Perhaps my Intensity Pro capture card is the one being finicky and should finally be replaced. I think I bought it around 2008. I will buy new capture card in the far future but for now, this is already very good. Most games work with this setup and I can start making YouTube game videos with better quality now.

AT2 & other music made by me + miscellaneous stuff
Comics made by me

Reply 28996 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RegTheEvil wrote:

I visited this forum before and saw a post by cyclone3d about Atlona AT-HD500 and immediately got one my self. It finally arrived today! Had to order from USA so the postage and customs got higher than the item itself. I got mine unused. It still had the "factory" smell when I took HD500 from it's bubble wrap. I no longer need to use DVI connector that had lots of issues with games or Sewell Hammerhead VGA-HDMI converter. I was able to use only 640x480 resolution with that. I upscaled the image to 720p to work with old Intensity Pro capture card with cheap ebay HD Video Converter (scaler). No support for 720x400 resolution with that. So I was using DVI to HDMI and Sewell for 640x480 sometimes. DVI had to be downscaled with the ebay thingie as well because my Graphics card wanted to output 1080p through DVI and my capture card supported only 1080i and 720p.

Some games that have 640x480 resolution give me black image now If I hook them directly from AT-HD500 to Intensity Pro. Just some. AT2, Syndicate, Flashback. However Micro Machines 2 and Crusader work and they also have 640x480 resolution. If I connect ebay chinese HD Video Converter in between I get no issues but the image gets too bright. Also If I connect MS-DOS image with At-HD500 to my TV, there are no issues at all and it looks okay.

Perhaps my Intensity Pro capture card is the one being finicky and should finally be replaced. I think I bought it around 2008. I will buy new capture card in the far future but for now, this is already very good. Most games work with this setup and I can start making YouTube game videos with better quality now.

Yeah.. the Atlona is pretty good. It isn't perfect though as you have found.

When I was in my frenzy of looking for a really good converter I ended up buying a couple other higher end converters that actually let you create your own resolutions with whatever timings you want and save them in the unit itself. I haven't really played around with them at all since I first got them except for messing around with the software to set custom settings.

That's what I get for having way too many projects going on.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK