VGA Capture Thread

Topic actions

Reply 701 of 1395, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RoyBatty wrote:

Turns out Chrome was being stupid, they are fine, sorry.

ok, thx for the feedback 😀

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 703 of 1395, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arncht wrote:

I think that you should make special thread for these Demo videos, unless is about proper HW + SW settings, this is not right thread.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 704 of 1395, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:
arncht wrote:

I think that you should make special thread for these Demo videos, unless is about proper HW + SW settings, this is not right thread.

Old game and demoscene demo captures on real hardware

Reply 705 of 1395, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Changing gears a bit... What's a good, cheap way to capture "high-res" 4:3/5:4 modes at 60 or 75Hz? Specifically 1600x1200 or 1280x1024.

I guess any modern game capture device should have the horsepower to do this, but do they allow those resolutions or force you to "1080p"?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 706 of 1395, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Modern game capture devices are geared towards 16:9 resolutions, typically 720p, 1080p and few high-ends supporting 4k. Neither 4:3 nor 5:4 are common enough anymore to be supported. Less so any going above 60Hz. Lastly most are only going to have HDMI input, and while you haven't specified type of video signal I assume it's most likely to be analog. In short your requirements definetely fall out of what modern game capture devices support. To summarize this very long and exhaustive thread you basically have two routes: a VGA-HDMI converter/scaler paired with a generic HDMI capture card, or not-so-cheap pro capture cards from vendors like DataPath and Epiphan.

Reply 707 of 1395, by DosWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I am looking for advice. I need record video from C64, C128, Amiga 500 and DOS-based VGA (up to 800*600).
Will be good have posibility record and see video at one time.
PC-dvr is mac mini (with usb2) or laptop (ubuntu, usb3) or old PC with Amd Phenom (4 core).

CPU: Amd K6/450, RAM: 256M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: EWS64XXL/64M
CPU: iP/100, RAM: 16M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: SB AWE32
IBM Aptiva, CPU i486DX/80, RAM: 96M
Compaq Contura 4/25 2820D, CPU: i486SX/25, RAM: 4M, VGA.
HP 200LX/2M

Reply 708 of 1395, by DosWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, as result, i'll try AVERMEDIA C039 EZMaker 7 - for my Commodors and AverMedia LGP Lite GL310 for Dos VGA

Thanks, for help!

CPU: Amd K6/450, RAM: 256M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: EWS64XXL/64M
CPU: iP/100, RAM: 16M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: SB AWE32
IBM Aptiva, CPU i486DX/80, RAM: 96M
Compaq Contura 4/25 2820D, CPU: i486SX/25, RAM: 4M, VGA.
HP 200LX/2M

Reply 709 of 1395, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tree Wyrm wrote:

To summarize this very long and exhaustive thread you basically have two routes: a VGA-HDMI converter/scaler paired with a generic HDMI capture card, or not-so-cheap pro capture cards from vendors like DataPath and Epiphan.

Hi, so if I buy the following: "Datapath DGC103C Vision RGB-PRO1" I will be fine for VGA/DVI with convertor capturing ? Thanks

Reply 710 of 1395, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dries_86 wrote:
Tree Wyrm wrote:

To summarize this very long and exhaustive thread you basically have two routes: a VGA-HDMI converter/scaler paired with a generic HDMI capture card, or not-so-cheap pro capture cards from vendors like DataPath and Epiphan.

Hi, so if I buy the following: "Datapath DGC103C Vision RGB-PRO1" I will be fine for VGA/DVI with convertor capturing ? Thanks

DGC103C is PCI card with VGA input. E1/E1S is PCI express card with DVI-I input. Which one to use depends on your capture PC specs and combinations of target resolutions and refresh rates. DGC103C is much older model and PCI bus doesn't have bandwidth to allow for capturing high resolutions and refresh rates.

Reply 711 of 1395, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a separate capture card Elgate Game Capture HD which I can use to capture from DVI source (DVI>HDMI cable). I have PCI & PCI-Express slot.
The purpose would be for capturing from VGA source (WIN95/DOS); would the older card DGC103C be the best option then ?

Reply 712 of 1395, by Tree Wyrm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In that case yeah, it'll cover analog VGA capture for you as long as you don't push resolutions and refresh rate too high for it to handle. Dual-head variant sometimes can be found at same price as single.

Be aware there are models with PCI-X interface and some sellers mistakenly label them as plain PCI or even PCI express, so be sure to check which model you're buying and photos are real.

Reply 713 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After I read arncht posts on pouet with

we could enjoy the original quality, if it would be possible to capture and show 1:1 (generally not possible 320x200 is not 4:3 - scaling needed, especially with mixed resolutions), and capture with the original frequency (would be possible with some limitations) - practically you need an analog crt display.

I still think that is doable.

For the 4:3 aspect it is only required to have a container format that is able to specify the output aspect ratio, like matroska (mkv). Then the player scales any resolution of the video stream to a 4:3 aspect.
Now for resolution and frame rate changes the video stream has to support that and there are formats that can actually do that. If you employ f.e. mpeg_ts live streaming in vlc it automatically adjusts.

The actual problem is that most of the capture or streaming programs are designed such way that the end user sets a resolution and frame rate, whereas the wanted feature would be that the video source defines the resolution and frame rate (frame time) on a per frame basis.
It wouldn't even be a problem of the output then with GSync/Freesync screens.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 714 of 1395, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am sceptical, that you dont have any problem with the video players. Another problem is the youtube.

Reply 716 of 1395, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is there any card, where is possible program and drive not just the active modes, but also possible to add special modes? i mean, eg set the 400 line vga and the text modes separately.
the datapath e1s would be very nice, but the api is limited from this aspect.

Reply 717 of 1395, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
arncht wrote:

is there any card, where is possible program and drive not just the active modes, but also possible to add special modes? i mean, eg set the 400 line vga and the text modes separately.

It is the same mode, thus a capture card can not distinguish if it is text or graphics showing.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 718 of 1395, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, not the same, it is possible to detect and program it. The position is also different (if the card cannot detect the difference), just it does not matter on a crt with black borders. But this is just an example, i also would like to set different modes.