VOGONS

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I'm only aware of VallyBell's vgmplay, Chocolate Doom, and a specific patch one can apply to the DosBOX source code to use direct hardware I\O to a OPL3 chip equipped soundcard.

Anyone else have any recommendations/suggestions to what else I can try my CMI8738 against? I'm running x86_64 Linux, and I'm fine with giving binaries the CAP_SYS_RAWIO providing they don't go haywire and destroy the whole system.

ALSA MIDI support also works but with bugs that probably went unnoticed since the early days of ALSA. Namely certain controller events are ignored until another "voice" is played after the fact. (Volume being one such problem)

Would be amazing if I can somehow coax a KVM virtual machine to allow guests to talk to the OPL3 part directly.

Another thing I'm wondering but isn't really on topic specifically, why is the CMI's OPL so quiet? I have the volume turned up as high as it can go and some things are just way quieter than the PCM output.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Would be amazing if I can somehow coax a KVM virtual machine to allow guests to talk to the OPL3 part directly.

If you got a system that support VT-d or IOMMU you can pass the whole card to the guest. I tried this using VMware ESXi and the FM synth of the CMI8738 will be aviable on PCI I/O base address +50h.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My motherboard's BIOS screen shows a option to enable a IOMMU but, I couldn't read anything in the manual if it's actually supported with my Phenom 2 (Deneb) CPU.

The mainboard I'm running is a MSI MS-7693/970A-G46 for record.

I was wondering if QEMU could have some sort of "software passthrough" with the Soundblaster 16 soundcard emulation to directly talk to the IO port located at 0xD050? As interesting as it'd be to just passthrough the whole card I don't recall CMI PCI being very DOS friendly whatsoever.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων