VOGONS

First post, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a unique 386 motherboard. There is absolutely no documentation or model number (other than just 386SI Rev. A printed in one corner and "made in taiwan rev." near the ISA headers. Initially I had the triple beep (no/bad RAM) but eventually figured out bank 0 was in the back rather than the front. However upon adding the ISA VGA card (some sort of oak OTI037C chipset) with one jumper. With this board it doesn't like it and quickly does a very quick double beep and then 8 beeps meaning something about video init failure. This card works in other machines however. In my 386sx-16 with a flat CMOS battery, it's just blank on the first boot and a warm reboot jogs the BIOS or CMOS to display POST messages along with the "CMOS display type mismatch message. On my pentium MMX board that still has a good battery it also works. I even tried moving the one jumper around to no avail. Both of my flatscreen monitors that have VGA throw an unsupported format error. I do not undertand why this one board doesn't want to attempt a different display type. I can't do the saw away and solder on a battery hack on the dallas chip, it's cornered in by the BIOS and keyboard chips. What's a good way to force the VGA mode on this motherboard so I can at least get it to boot to a screen? I would rather avoid trying to modify the BIOS code unless I had to absolutely do so.

Reply 3 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is possibly a jumper on the motherboard to select between mono & color but, as previously stated, a picture of the motherboard will greatly help.

You can also take a look here to see if you can identify your motherboard (look for something unique in terms of the layout of your board): https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/#1

Reply 4 of 20, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried that site but to no avail. Here's a picture of the board. The only jumper which is by the power connector does nothing in my experience.

weirdboard.jpg
Filename
weirdboard.jpg
File size
284.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 20, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that's one of the best looking 386 boards that I've seen. Love it, so sparsely populated. Regarding your problem, I don't think I can contribute much. Just that you should de-solder the Dallas module before attempting any work on it, then put it back in a socket. I'd do that. Also, try with other VGA cards, if you have them available.

Reply 6 of 20, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this is your board: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/F … -33-40S-47.html

Jumper JP1 should be closed for color monitors.

FIRST-INTERNATIONAL-COMPUTER-INC-386-386-25-33-40S-47-1.jpg
Filename
File size
157.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT: Did anyone ever back up TULARC? Would be horrible if stason.org goes down at some point in time. Also: Where did the guy get all the information from???

Attachments

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 7 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

EDIT: Did anyone ever back up TULARC? Would be horrible if stason.org goes down at some point in time. Also: Where did the guy get all the information from???

Total Hardware 99 is being mirrored on a couple of sites, including the one I linked to above. I'm pretty sure that by now this has been archived dozens of times on archive.org.

Reply 8 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wackoreese wrote:

I've tried that site but to no avail. Here's a picture of the board. The only jumper which is by the power connector does nothing in my experience.

One suggestion I can offer is to replace the Dallas RTC module. I recently bought the DS12887A replacement on eBay for a 286 motherboard of mine or, you can go the dremel route.

Also, on very same said 286 motherboard, I experienced the same problem with my VGA card. I really struggled for it to make proper contact in that motherboard, despite working perfectly on other boards. Try perhaps another display card.

Reply 9 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

One suggestion I can offer is to replace the Dallas RTC module. I recently bought the DS12887A replacement on eBay for a 286 motherboard of mine or, you can go the dremel route.

+1

Quite a few early boards get really fucky without a bios battery.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of TH99, someday I might come with a better solution than it (or should I say an improved one), but I can't unveil it now as it's far from finished. I'll inform you if I ever get it finished.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 11 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Convert the rest of TH99 to VOGONS wiki. I already converted some, but haven't had time to finish the job.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen that, but what I plan will be better (also be careful because there are some misinformation in this such as wrong names, wrong brand, wrong supported CPUs, etc)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 20, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:
I think this is your board: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/F … -33-40S-47.html […]
Show full quote

I think this is your board: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/F … -33-40S-47.html

Jumper JP1 should be closed for color monitors.

This must be the motherboard since it looks the same and it has a symphony chipset. It does not matter what JP1 is set to though, still the 1 double + 8 beeps. POST diagnostic card also never does anything but display FF (BIOS doesnt write to the port?).

Reply 14 of 20, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wackoreese wrote:

This must be the motherboard since it looks the same and it has a symphony chipset. It does not matter what JP1 is set to though, still the 1 double + 8 beeps. POST diagnostic card also never does anything but display FF (BIOS doesnt write to the port?).

According to this website I would place my bets still on the video adapter:

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

The two beeps confuse me. Did you try some other RAM?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 15 of 20, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I mean by "double beep" is two very quick back to back beeps like there is a very quick pause between the two, and then the spread out 8 beeps. I don't have any other 4 sticks of the same type, last I tried gave me the 3 beep missing memory error.

Reply 16 of 20, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought for sure my old 386DX system was dead, but it was three dead VGA cards in a row!

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 17 of 20, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The card itself works fine in other boards. However I noticed on ones with bad/dead CMOS I had to warm reboot otherwise the display never woke and it wouldn't post and I'd usually get the display mismatch error. If I had an EPROM programmer I'd probably try and modify the bios to default to a VGA color mod.

Reply 18 of 20, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have VGA cards that don't like to work in certain boards. I would test with a different card still. The beeps suggest a problem with the card. You did also test with different ISA slots, right?

YouTube and Bonus