VOGONS

USB Mass Storage Windows 95 Issues

Topic actions

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having a hard time getting USB Mass Storage devices working on my Toshiba Tecra 550CDT via Windows 95 using XUSBSUPP on. I installed the driver fine, but plugging in a flash drive makes it come up as an Unknown Device and I can't seem to do anything about it. Using the standard USBSUPP on the Windows 95 CD and the driver available on Toastytech.com also doesn't work. It tells me the folder containing the files doesn't have an updated driver. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, maybe your notebook uses an an outdated USB 1.x controller type, like UHCI that the driver doesn't know ?
- There also were OHCI (USB 1.x) and EHCI (USB 2.x), as far as I remember..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_cont ... ewire)#USB

Anyway, it's just a wild guess. I once had issues on pure DOS,
because the USB driver didn't support the on-board USB controller.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know the hardware works with flash drives, as it had Windows 2000 on the HDD when I got it. On that, flash drives worked right away with no issues.

The whole machine overall is fully working except for the keyboard having some very weird issues with half the keys not working.

Reply 3 of 30, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

I know the hardware works with flash drives, as it had Windows 2000 on the HDD when I got it. On that, flash drives worked right away with no issues.

The whole machine overall is fully working except for the keyboard having some very weird issues with half the keys not working.

I had problems with it forgetting certain usb sticks and certain ports. Try plugging the stick into another usb socket and then try another stick altogether. Each time it sees a new stick or a stick on a new port it goes through the driver update business so if that fails for any reason, it will usually not re-attempt for that same device. You'd have to completely remove the drivers and try again if you wanted to fix that problem.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 4 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried two flash drives so far. A 2GB and 16GB. Both had the issue where it said it could not find updated drivers. Also, this machine only has 1 USB port. I've tried switching between the two USB supplements a number of times now.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2019-06-13, 11:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still haven't gotten it to work yet. Makes absolutely no sense, as I know for a fact the USB Mass Storage driver files are in the location I point to. All I get is this...

IMG_6402.JPG

Reply 9 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which version of W95 are you running? Setting up USB can be super fiddly but I've had success using a 3 step operation:
first: USB Supplement
then: USB Update
then: USB Flash Update

You'll need to source the 2nd and 3rd files

Reply 10 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:
Which version of W95 are you running? Setting up USB can be super fiddly but I've had success using a 3 step operation: first: […]
Show full quote

Which version of W95 are you running? Setting up USB can be super fiddly but I've had success using a 3 step operation:
first: USB Supplement
then: USB Update
then: USB Flash Update

You'll need to source the 2nd and 3rd files

I'm using OSR2 of some kind. The CD I own says "with USB support" and has a copyright date of 1997. USBSUPP.EXE is on the CD in the other/usb folder. Is the second step the file listed under patches on WinWorld, and is the final step the toastytech.com driver I mentioned earlier?

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2019-06-15, 04:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Away from computer at the moment but the 2 files are called as I posted. When i get a chance ill see if i have a source bit you can google for now. Usb flash update helped enable thumb drives.

Reply 12 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Away from computer at the moment but the 2 files are called as I posted. When i get a chance ill see if i have a source bit you can google for now. Usb flash update helped enable thumb drives.

Alright, Thanks. So far I installed USBSUPP.EXE and then USBUPD2.EXE and that went fine. The USB Mass Storage drivers I've been trying still aren't being detected, but I'm not sure if that's the third step you're referring to or not.

Reply 13 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apply USB Flash Update after the first Two. Sorry i can't access my data athe moment or id give you a file link.
It may be the w95flashup11.zip floating around. If it doesn't take uninstall everything and do the 3 steps over cleanly.

Reply 15 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Apply USB Flash Update after the first Two. Sorry i can't access my data athe moment or id give you a file link.
It may be the w95flashup11.zip floating around. If it doesn't take uninstall everything and do the 3 steps over cleanly.

Yeah, that's the zip I've been trying to use (w95usbflash11.zip). I'll try it again later tonight.

Reply 16 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foxtail wrote:

Have you tried nusb36.exe.....works great in win98 so it should work in win95 as well.

I could be wrong, but I thought that was only for Windows 98. I did briefly try Win98 on this laptop and flash drives worked right away after installing that, but I really wasn't happy with the OS' performance. Win95 runs a lot faster, and it's also what this laptop originally shipped with.

Reply 17 of 30, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just looked at my posts here from about 5 years ago on how I got USB1.1 running on W95, and yes the 3-step process I described earlier is what I used. And yes; use w95USBflash11 as the third and last step. It was all very finicky and needed to go in 1-2-3 without a hitch. What I was never able to do was get USB2 running in any flavor of W95.

Edit: also try disabling USB support in bios. It's been known to resolve compatibilty issues.

Reply 18 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did the three step process again. Install the USB Supplement, and then the USB update. Those worked fine. I then proceed to plug in my flash drive, and Windows detects it as an unknown device. I go to the location where the driver files are, and they're still not being detected...

USB 2 doesn't really matter for this, by the way, since this only has a USB 1 port anyway.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2019-06-19, 13:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 30, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, and another sidenote...

I mentioned earlier that this laptop has a keyboard issue. Basically, some of the keys like the up arrow don't work. However, all of the keys work if I hold down Shift. It would be nice if that's an easy fix.