VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29180 of 52730, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got me some nice old IBM NetVista 8323's.

According to the specs they will make great dos/win 95 machines.

IMG not original as they haven't arrived yet.

n2200_vorne.jpg

Specs:
Cyrix MediaGX 233Mhz
Up to 288MB of RAM
Cyrix Vídeo up to 3MB
Cyrix XpressAudio
CF Card
No fans.

Reply 29181 of 52730, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got several cheap motherboards from a scrapper:

L7jFrRYm.jpg
FAsp3ljm.jpg

Among them:

Dual Slot 1 Asus P2L97-DS
Slot 1 Asus P2B 1.04
386 PCChips M321
386 board with onboard Intel 386SX-20
286 board with Siemens 286-12 and AMD 287-10, SIPP memory
486 board with VLB and EISA — really bad shape

My biggest interest is the dual slot 1 P2L97-DS. If it works, I would be able to fit it with two P2s, WinNT or Win2k and build an Internet server for multiplayer shooters. I want a solution that works with vanilla versions of games like Doom, Descent, Duke Nukem 3D and others. Ideally something similar to Dwango (maybe there's a clone package somewhere) because I've never experienced services like that.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 29182 of 52730, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

jheronimus, nice loot! I see the M321 board there! It's really nice board, having even a write-back cache support. (Need to populate the socket near cache chips)
That VLB + EISA 486 board would also be really cool to get up and running.

Do you mind writing down, what's written on the bios chip? Is there a marking "v2.11" or something different?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 29184 of 52730, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks pretty good. How much was it? Minimum battery damage is better than major battery damage. Why motherboard companies used Ni-Cd batteries instead of Lithium batteries is beyond me.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29185 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Looks pretty good. How much was it? Minimum battery damage is better than major battery damage. Why motherboard companies used Ni-Cd batteries instead of Lithium batteries is beyond me.

Same reason RBMK reactors had a positive void coefficient and moderator rod tips of pure graphite: price. And to be honest, these batteries only started failing long after the boards' economic and design lifespan had passed. Still doesn't make it good engineering, less good news when you see old boards rotten away by it, but we're the ones going far, far out of spec here by keeping >25yo low-end systems running 😉

Reply 29186 of 52730, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Well, just a little of trace corrosion on the battery traces, nothing else and of course it works perfectly fine. It could happen to mistake it for dead since Chaintech 340scd has bank0 and bank1 of ram simm slots divided in even and odd rows and not in continuous blocks.
Like so:
Bank0 - Simm1
Bank1 - Simm2
Bank0 - Simm3
Bank1 - Simm4
Bank0 - Simm5
Bank1 - Simm6
Bank0 - Simm7
Bank1 - Simm8

So if you test it with 8x1MB Simms there is no problem, but if you test it with only 4 Simms you have to insert them leaving even slots empty or it will not boot, since you are not filling banks correctly.
Same goes for cache sockets.

Reply 29187 of 52730, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ready... set... build!!!

IMG_20190618_182522.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190618_182522.jpg
File size
834.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29188 of 52730, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Madowax wrote:
Finally I managed to get a Chaintech 340SCD […]
Show full quote

Finally I managed to get a Chaintech 340SCD

os2t6hk.jpg

Minimum battery damage, very very cheap (sold as not working)... Really nice!

Where did you find this? His is one of my favourite native 386 boards. My board had acid damage everywhere and required a lot of wire patches.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29189 of 52730, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

Hah! Batyra and Hard1k are right up there with me. Mad respect for these gents too for their ability to source these relics.

You're right. I think you're probably ahead by a nose, but all three of you guys have crazy nice collections.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29190 of 52730, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wirerogue wrote:

ready... set... build!!!

IMG_20190618_182522.jpg

That looks interesting, I'm looking at socket 604 Xeon stuff on ebay now.

I just might have to buy some of this stuff...

Reply 29191 of 52730, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Where did you find this? His is one of my favourite native 386 boards. My board had acid damage everywhere and required a lot of wire patches.

On ebay, sold as not working "ARB17A". I was searching for this Chaintech for quite some time, it's in very nice conditions, working fine.

Reply 29192 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How's this for retro hardware? I'll take "Things I Didn't Really Need" for $14.99, Alex:

boom1.jpg
Filename
boom1.jpg
File size
272.54 KiB
Views
File license

I've been vaguely looking around for a Sony boombox of this vintage, but every one I've seen has been trashed or being asked ludicrous money for. This JVC is in absolutely fantastic shape and was the right price. Every slider is smooth and crackle-free, the drivers are all perfect, the tape deck plays accurately and doesn't even need a new belt, & most importantly, it sounds amazing. There weren't even any manky old corroded D-cells left in the battery compartment like 99% of these I see. The battery terminals look like it was made yesterday.

boom2.jpg
Filename
boom2.jpg
File size
195.75 KiB
Views
File license

^^ The "3D" button seems to turn on & off the subwoofer. I don't know either.

boom3.jpg
Filename
boom3.jpg
File size
245.66 KiB
Views
File license

In case you couldn't tell, this thing is totally freaking sweet. It does need a dusting with a good brush & q-tip, but that's all it needs. The black & gold colour scheme really works for me.

boom4.jpg
Filename
boom4.jpg
File size
165.81 KiB
Views
File license

Also scored some NOS tapes for it; these were $1.99 on the "wall of crap." I don't usually buy Type-1s anymore, but I was 'in the mood' and the design on the Sony was so appealing I had to bite. Didn't have one of those yet. One of these days I'll put together a little gallery of blank cassette packages, because I've got a lot of them and there were some really cool designs floating around.

I scored a couple of late-'90s trancey CDs up there for a couple bucks too. Naturally I had to try them on the JVC via it's handy line-in:

boom5.jpg
Filename
boom5.jpg
File size
159.15 KiB
Views
File license

They sound awesome through this thing! That sub can deliver a ton of bass if you let it, but the adjustable EQ really works well to make a nice punchy, crisp sound. I am seriously impressed for how good it is for a boombox of this type.

Incidentally that's my O.G. CD/VCD player up there, which I ordered from NCIX.com in 2001 and carried everywhere for a few years. Yes, it has a video-out for VCDs, and yes, I thought that was the coolest damn thing in the world at the time. Still works great, and I even still have the remote.

Anyway I'm pretty happy with this score, if you can't tell. Now back to your regular retro programming...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29193 of 52730, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Love the boom box! They had a hard life in general I suspect - I looked for a specific Sony for years and finally found one a couple of months ago, but it was in pretty awful shape. Full of sand, belts long gone, and generally worn out. I did my best with it and it came up OK, but it's never going to look as nice as yours (and cost a lot more than $14.99 😵 ).

P1040407_zpsxd8p3oct.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 29195 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some 1996-1997 VGA goodness:

ATI-Rage-Pro-ll-In-Wonder.jpg Matrox-Millennium-II-PCI.jpg

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-06-19, 12:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29197 of 52730, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote:
^^^I recently sold a Pentium in such a case. From what I recall, it wasn't a particularly good case. […]
Show full quote
RetroPC_King wrote:
dogchainx wrote:
So....i'm going to just post my entire "AT CASE" purchases I've done for the past 3 years or so... All of these were between $5 […]
Show full quote

So....i'm going to just post my entire "AT CASE" purchases I've done for the past 3 years or so... All of these were between $5 and $15 each at my local thrift store.

FZMWfp9l.jpg

That case from first column under the first case in the upper-left I have on my AMD K6-2 333MHz system! What brand is this case?

^^^I recently sold a Pentium in such a case. From what I recall, it wasn't a particularly good case.

Up until 2005ish the local thrift stores did indeed sell the computers whole. Since that time, they either part them out (never leaving the hard disks intact) or flat out recycle them. It pains me to think about how many x86 systems were thrown out because of this stupid process. I got a lot of cool programs off hard disks this way 😉

IMO if you don't erase the data off your systems prior to disposal, that's on you.

Indeed, it was very cramped.

Reply 29198 of 52730, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dogchainx wrote:

Holy shiz, thats an old photo of my collection...

The case from the 2nd upper left? With two 5.25" and the floppy drive slot in-case? If that's the one, I don't know who made it. I'll see if I still have it (probably do) but from what I remember the buttons on it suuuuuuuck. Very flimsy, ultra-small case. My collection has grown probably 2x over that photo. Ugh. I have a problem, step 1....

No, that one with blue Power and Reset buttons and cut out floppy drive with Creative 52x Cd-rom and without a faceplate. That is my cas eof my old K6-2 build

Reply 29199 of 52730, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a really hard time trying to find stuff locally, so I usually pay more for shipping alone than some of the finds in here 🙁
local thrift stores seem to only sell clothes and decorations and barely any electronics at all and if they do than only newer "useful" computers, seems like most of the really good stuff just gets thrown away nowadays, I feel like I started with collecting retro hardware about 5-10 years too late, luckily I already have some good parts at home from past times.

anyways picked these up yesterday:

gpus01.jpg
Filename
gpus01.jpg
File size
251.19 KiB
Views
File license
gpus02.jpg
Filename
gpus02.jpg
File size
201.98 KiB
Views
File license

2x ET4000AX (already had one of these at home, but more is better 😀 )
OTI077 with an odd mix of memory chips
a card that was listed as serial/parallel controller turned out to be a Tamarack TD3088A2
and an old intel network card, I have a bunch of ISA network cards already, but none from intel so a welcome addition.
paid 25€ for the lot of cards

but sometimes I get hit by a bit of luck and this arrived today:

mt32.jpg
Filename
mt32.jpg
File size
172.69 KiB
Views
File license

it was listed for a price that was way too good, so I contacted the seller and they were hesitant to ship because a few people already showed interest picking it up locally (obviously all the good stuff is in the big city and not where I live), so I just straight up offered more than twice the asking price and still got a really good deal in my opinion ^^