VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I'm trying to run Ultima IV on my IBM 5160 and the main title loads up fine and I can get to the part of answering the questions from the gypsy, but as soon as it loads the game it jumps out to DOS. Any ideas? It seems if I run avatar.exe it just jumps to dos and does not loads the game. Using Ultima.com it just loads the title screen.

Im using IBM DOS 3.30 on real IBM 5160 hardaware. EGA card with a 5153 color monitor.

Cheers,

Reply 1 of 3, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This means that the game is not able to write your character data to disk. Are you playing from floppy disk or from hard disk? The Ultima Collection version (which is identical to the earlier Ultima I-VI Collection CD version) has been patched to only run properly from hard disk, so you cannot run it from floppy disk anymore. If you are running it from hard disk, check that all files' read-only attribute is not set, which sometimes happens when copying files off a CD-ROM. In either case, always run the game using ULTIMA.COM, not using TITLE.EXE or AVATAR.EXE.

Reply 2 of 3, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply. Very strange. All attributes are A and no read only. Hard disk is not full so the game should be able to write the character. Whats the file name that it should write?