VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked through the forum topics, but I don't exactly know where to put this, and I can't find much info anywhere else.

I'm just wondering what some of the last big game releases to come out on CD-ROM were, before games switched to DVD-ROMs?

Reply 3 of 5, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sword of the Stars expansion Born of Blood on cd-rom 2007, year before that was the game itself on cd-rom. Ah I got NFS Most wanted on dvd rom and that game was from 2005 (maybe I got the re-release). However I still have NFS Carbon from 2006 laying around as well and that was on cd-rom. Homeworld 2 was on cd-rom as well but that was in 2003 anyway. 2004 was Evil Genius on cd-rom.

Reply 4 of 5, by galland101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow were distributed on multiple CD-ROMs. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was a DVD-ROM release.

Call of Duty 2 had both a CD-ROM and DVD-ROM release. The DVD-ROM version was marketed as a “Limited Edition” and had some extras on it, I believe. The same could be said about the mid-2000s remake of Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Reply 5 of 5, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember being frustrated how even as late as 2005 games were still being shipped only on multiple CD-ROMs, even though they could have fit on a single DVD. I thought it was absurd how careful the game distributors were in not requiring buyers to upgrade their CD-ROM drives to DVD-ROM drives, while at the same time often expecting them to own beefy graphics cards that were much more expensive. It took a long time after DVD drives became cheap for game publishers to switch to DVD as the physical distribution medium of choice.